Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Emerald help

Beans

Emerald help

Hi guys.. So i am pretty new to ubuntu, i used it about a year ago, and now im getting back into it. I have it tripple booted on my macbook pro with leopard and xp pro. Anyways, i love to customize the look of my desktop, so I downloaded some emerald themes, cause they are pretty cool. It took me forever to figure out how to apply the themes. But this is where i am at,

I have a theme selected in emerald,
    to get it to work, i have to type emerald --replace in terminal.
    Then the theme shows up, but if i close the terminal window, I have no window border, and i have to type emerald --replace in terminal again. So that is kinda a pain, anything I can do about that?

The second thing is: what if i get tired of an emerald theme, how can i get it so that i go inter appearance under System Preferences, and select a theme and window border from there to work. I cant get those themes to work now. how can i switch between emerald, and the gnome default theme manager?

Beans

Re: Emerald help

i have the exact same problem, i have given up on emerald because of it.
    but if anyone knows why this is happening that would be awesome

Beans

To keep emerald running you can do one of two things:
    1. In the terminal append an ampersand to the line to detach the process. So the command becomes "emerald --replace &". You will need to run this each session that you want emerald running in, or
    2. Auto start emerald with the session. Go to System, Preferences, Sessions then Add and enter "emerald --replace" as the command

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rich257 View Post
    To keep emerald running you can do one of two things:
    1. In the terminal append an ampersand to the line to detach the process. So the command becomes "emerald --replace &". You will need to run this each session that you want emerald running in, or
    2. Auto start emerald with the session. Go to System, Preferences, Sessions then Add and enter "emerald --replace" as the command
    the first option doesn't do anything, the entire border still disappears as soon as i close terminal. However adding in sessions did allow it to start up and run all the time. this is how i would have originally set emerald up, but when it started acting wierd when i tried to test run it from terminal i never got that far.

thank you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

@badfish591
    You might as well put "emerald --replace" in
    CCSM-> window decorations-> command
    reboot and test it out.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Use Fusion-Icon. To install:
    sudo apt-get install fusion-icon
    Access it from System Tools > Compiz Fusion Icon
    On the Notification Area, right click on the Compiz Fusion Icon go to the "Select Window Decorator", and change it to Emerald.

Beans

Press alt+f2 and type the command, that way it keeps running without a terminal open. Otherwise just add it as a start-up app as was said.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Enlitend View Post
    @badfish591
    You might as well put "emerald --replace" in
    CCSM-> window decorations-> command
    reboot and test it out.

I tried that but it seems compiz just ignores the string at this setting. (or rather it just started the default decorator again :-/)

Beans

ok, so i figured out how to get it to always start up.. .i added it to the system startup.. but now, for my second problem

The second thing is: what if i get tired of an emerald theme, how can i get it so that i go inter appearance under System Preferences, and select a theme and window border from there to work. I cant get those themes to work now. how can i switch between emerald, and the gnome default theme manage?

Beans
    Hidden!

You can switch using the 'compiz fusion icon' tool

and you can use the 'emerald-theme-manager' to switch themes when you get bored of a certain theme you have

I love emerald as it allows me to create my own super-colourful minimalistic theme
    (typical minimalistics are all grey and dark and drab ^-^ Wheee)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast