Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New to Ubuntu Linux--Windows XP user

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: New to Ubuntu Linux--Windows XP user

Quote Originally Posted by jukingeo View Post
    So far the only minuses would be if I could find programs that would work almost exactly like the Windows variants I have now.
    That's not likely. Remember, people who wrote those programs for Windows were writing something that they would want to use. The people writing programs on Linux were doing the same; they weren't looking to write an exact duplicate of the Windows program.

For the most part I am sure there is a Linux version of Microsoft Office out there by now so that would cover all my word processing, spreadsheets and data needs.
    Openoffice.org is included and satisfies most needs. Microsoft hasn't ported MS Office over.

Email will be a question, but I am sure there is a program for that.
    Included in Ubuntu - it's called Evolution.

Certain pieces of hardware, such as my Alesis firewire audio interface and my mass storage drives may NOT work.
    It's unlikely that your mass storage drives WON'T work. They all use standard drivers on all operating systems. External audio interfaces are usually the same, so the likelihood is that it will work.

I don't think I would get away from a dual boot system for a LONG time as I know I still will need windows for those applications that will not run on Ubuntu. However, if I could do MOST of my work with Ubuntu/Linux...especially web surfing and regular productivity work, then I could cut the bulk down considerably on the Windows side of things and perhaps that it will run faster too with much of the bulk elsewhere.
    That's a healthy attitude - many people do the same thing. I did

A big question mark with Ubuntu is how it can handle picture and video files. I do manipulate many video files and this is an area I didn't even explore yet.
    Playback of pictures and videos is 100% here, as long as the videos are encrypted with DRM. Simple editing of videos is possible too with some developing open-source programs. Photo editing is at a professional level on Linux with The Gimp (included with Ubuntu).

It seems that most of my questions have been answered very well thusfar..except one. I am still curious as to the differences between Linux, Ubuntu and the other versions out there.
    Try them Linux itself is the basis of an operating system; it's not a separate product that you can just download and try.

That is the bulk of my use. This is what I do on occasions:

6) Audio/video editing using Windows Movie Maker and Ableton Live
    7) Video and Photo editing (Corel Draw)
    8) Spreadsheets, business planning, working with databases.
    Audio editing is no worries - Linux has Audacity. Video editing will not be as good on Linux with open-source tools, but it's getting better literally every day. Photo editing is at a professional level. As for databases, you're laughing! Linux is the native platform for databases
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro

Adding and removing programs is easy on Ubuntu - the "Add/Remove Applications" program will both add AND remove programs easily. What you were told earlier about "compiling" programs is not a neccessity these days.

Having said that, compiling sounds more difficult than it actually is. If you want to do it, you have the choice! That's one of the great things about Linux - you have a lot of choice.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro

1) Information hunting and surfing
    2) Ebay--business and personal use
    3) Emailing
    4) Games
    5) Basic Stamp and other forms of embedded computer control

That is the bulk of my use. This is what I do on occasions:

6) Audio/video editing using Windows Movie Maker and Ableton Live
    7) Video and Photo editing (Corel Draw)
    8 ) Spreadsheets, business planning, working with databases.
    For your use:
    1) Firefox (default)
    2) Firefox (default)
    3) Evolution (default) or Thunderbird (from the same company as Firefox, also available in Windows)
    4) Wine (as discussed already), some Linux games available
    5) Not sure what this involves

6) I like kdenlive for editing video, but there are other options (this thread has a list of options, albeit a little out of date now: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=529759)
    7) Maybe OpenOffice Draw or Inscape
    8 ) Openoffice Calc (default) & Base, maybe Glom database

All the above listed applications are free, and can be downloaded and installed with a few clicks (as long as you have internet, and networking device that is compatible).

There are other Linux options:
    http://www.osalt.com/
    http://linuxappfinder.com/

Micorsoft Office is not available on Linux (although MS Office 2003 probably runs with WINE). Similar functions are available in OpenOffice.

I hope you have worked out what makes Ubuntu different from other Linux versions (distros). This is impossible to describe in words, but this might help: http://ubuntucat.wordpress.com/2008/...up-so-popular/

Before you install, make sure the CD you got with the book is the latest version. We are currently at Ubuntu 8.04LTS (new last month). If not, download the latest from ubuntu.com (or see the Torrent link below).
    Last edited by ugm6hr; May 19th, 2008 at 08:50 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Smile Re: New to Ubuntu Linux--Windows XP user

Welcome to Ubuntu

Ubuntu is the most user friendly Linux there practicly is, its great for beginners having being one myself.
    Linux - Say bye bye to blue screens of death

AMD Sempron 2600+ 1.60GHz, 2GB of RAM, Nvidia 5200FX 128MB, 6GB HDD for system, 80GB for Storage

Beans

Try to read this first.

HTML Code:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=63315
    and enjoy!
    Remember, you can always use the Live CD to try out the Operating System. Try it for a week or so. Also, since Ubuntu releases are often every 6 months, the CD which came with your book may be out of date by a few years. Try requesting free CD's from
    HTML Code:
    shipit.ubuntu.com
    , and let me stress this, it is free. Or download straight from the Ubuntu website.

Enjoy the world of freedom!

Beans

Ach, it seems that my reply was the one which was out of date. Sorry..

but welcome anyways!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by rage-against-windows View Post
    Im pretty sure with wine-doors you can install RCT3.
    http://www.wine-doors.org/wordpress/
    Another version of WINE? How many are out there?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by aroch1 View Post
    You can update all of your installed programs from one place, and browse (mostly) all availible programs from a desktop app. No need to search the internet for installers.

And its FREE!!!
    Ardvark71 seems to not agree with that. He says there is an installation procedure. I will have to see for myself. The "Dummies" book also agrees with you in saying that there is an Add/Remove system like in Windows. So this one is still open for debate. I will get back to everyone on this once I try to install something myself.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Kinst View Post
    Here, this tells you about some of the major flavors of linux:

http://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=major
    Thank you very much. This was kind of something what I was looking for.

It does seem that Ubuntu is the most popular and after reading that document it still remains my first choice. However, I seem to also like the "sound" of PCLinuxOS. Supposedly this one has really good driver matching, plug-ins, and graphics support. It doesn't have support for 64-bit right now, but then again, I don't think even Win XP supports 64 bit.

Geo

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by SIXAXIS View Post
    1)
    2) I don't think there is just Linux. There are different distributions or "distros" as they say around here that each have their own ups and downs. Ubuntu is the most user-friendly version of Linux and is the best for people switching from Windows to Linux.

3) There's nothing really that you can't do in Windows XP or Ubuntu, but I find that programs seem to run and load faster in Linux.

5) I find that Ubuntu is very friendly with all hardware, especially the latest release, Ubuntu 8.04. But if you have problems, just post it here and we'll be sure to help you.

6) Boot up time: Maybe 15 seconds faster.
    Program Launch: 2-4 times faster
    Login Time: 5 times faster

I hope I answered your questions and I hope that you enjoy Linux.
    2) Yes, since I been doing more research it doesn't seem like there is a 'regular Linux' anymore. It seems like most are an offspring of some form or another.

3) I guess in terms of programs for the most part I am finding out that there are quite a few Linux alternatives. But this is mainly for popular programs such as Microsoft Office. When it comes to a specific program such as Ableton's Live...that is where I still have yet to find a good Linux replacement. Sure I have found many Linux DAW programs. But Live is VERY different. It isn't just a DAW it is also a live tool as well as something DJ's can use...LIVE! So low latency is definitely an issue with a program like that. Thus far most of the DAW programs I seen for Linux are trying to emulate Pro-Tools, or Cubase. But as I said, I don't fancy them. Live wasn't as popular but lately it i staring to overtake Cubase and Sonar. I am hoping to find a Linux alternative. I have exhausted my audio production budget and these DAW programs are VERY expensive. Live is $500. With twin baby boys to feed...I cannot foot this kind of price for a program anymore.

5) Hardware: I was surprised to find that my printer IS supported by Linux (An HP 2175), but I was MORE surprised to find that my Sound Blaster X-Fi isn't supported. Or at least I have not found Linux drivers for it. I don't think my Alesis IO26 is supported either and that could be a MAJOR issue as that is my main recording tool.

6) Running faster is exactly what I expected from Ubuntu/Linux. Lately it just seems that Windows has become so bloated that it is becoming an issue with recording and also the embedded control work I do.

I wanted to use a PC to control all the functions of a custom pinball machine project I was working on. I was even told by someone in the pinball newsgroup, "Don't bother using Windows...use Linux instead".

So there you have it.

I think once I find out that I can interface my hardware with Ubuntu, find an alternative recording software and can get most of my games to run...then I will make the full switch.

But I think for now I am probably going to go with a dual boot system. I have to free up some partitions on my second hard drive and use that for Ubuntu.

Thanx for the input.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast