Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New to Ubuntu Linux--Windows XP user

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: New to Ubuntu Linux--Windows XP user

Quote Originally Posted by ardvark71 View Post
    Cedega (which is a version of WINE geared more for gaming) may offer better support, although it didn't appear Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 wss performing any better. However, Roller Coaster 2 was rated ok with an older version.

http://www.cedega.com/

Best Regards...
    Well, I don't think I would go completely away from Windows cold turkey. But I am finding Ubuntu/Linux starting to become increasingly attractive, especially for everyday work such as productivity and also web surfing. The idea that there is much less of a chance of getting Spyware and Viruses is always a big interest for me. I am already using Firefox now, and I see that is what Ubuntu is using for a browser.

Yes, I did see that I could revert to RCT 1 or 2 but neither game offers anywhere near what RCT 3 offers. The big point being with RCT 3 is that you can get a ride POV which you cannot get on the prior versions. One plus is that No-Limits (which is a very elaborate coaster designing program) WILL work. No-Limits is not really a game. It is nothing like RCT. But you can design WAY better coasters with it. In fact No-Limits is SO accurate that real coaster designers use it as a test bed for new coaster ideas and designs before going to something like Auto Cad.

Going back to your other email...you do sound like installing programs is pretty complicated. I do have the Ubuntu For Dummies book and it says in there they have a similar Add/Remove button for programs much like Windows does. Could you mean what you said in reference to Linux in general? I did make a choice with Ubuntu because I was told that it was the easiest to get started with out of the other Linux formats. However, overall I really don't know what or in what context do the other Linux formats operate and what do they offer. So up to now that question goes unanswered.

Today I am probably going to play with Ubuntu more from the Live Disc. But probably by the end of the week I am going to explore the option of a dual boot set up. My computer already has partitions on the hard drive and I could easily dump the Ubuntu operating system on one of them.

Then I can play with it some more.

Thanx for the input.

Geo

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Aspect View Post
    Few Viruses,the few that do exist are about worthless since you have to log in as a root and execute them.

Ubuntu is Linux for human beings and is meant to be more user friendly.However I find Ubuntu to be equally as user friendly as Mint Linux or Fedora.Its a preference really,like choosing between KDE or gnome.

Boot the live cd and run it for a while before installing to see if everything works.Just realize its going to be slow being a live cd.A good bit of hardware works out of box but there can be a few issues.

I have been to and read the site that mmb1 pointed out and it pretty much reflects everything what you and the others are saying. So far I am impressed. Being a free source aside, the free ability to surf on the web without danger of spyware and viruses is a huge plus.

So far the only minuses would be if I could find programs that would work almost exactly like the Windows variants I have now.

For the most part I am sure there is a Linux version of Microsoft Office out there by now so that would cover all my word processing, spreadsheets and data needs. The web browser is already covered as I hear most Linux users have Firefox and I am already using that browser with Windows.

Email will be a question, but I am sure there is a program for that.

I think what it will boil down to is if I could run some of my favorite games and audio editing programs on it and of course there is the hardware issue as well. Certain pieces of hardware, such as my Alesis firewire audio interface and my mass storage drives may NOT work.

I don't think I would get away from a dual boot system for a LONG time as I know I still will need windows for those applications that will not run on Ubuntu. However, if I could do MOST of my work with Ubuntu/Linux...especially web surfing and regular productivity work, then I could cut the bulk down considerably on the Windows side of things and perhaps that it will run faster too with much of the bulk elsewhere.

A big question mark with Ubuntu is how it can handle picture and video files. I do manipulate many video files and this is an area I didn't even explore yet.

It seems that most of my questions have been answered very well thusfar..except one. I am still curious as to the differences between Linux, Ubuntu and the other versions out there.

If that is too many to list then perhaps I will give everyone insight on how I normally use my machine based on what I do with Windows now (this is in order of precedence).

1) Information hunting and surfing
    2) Ebay--business and personal use
    3) Emailing
    4) Games
    6) Basic Stamp and other forms of embedded computer control

That is the bulk of my use. This is what I do on occasions:

6) Audio/video editing using Windows Movie Maker and Ableton Live
    7) Video and Photo editing (Corel Draw)
    8) Spreadsheets, business planning, working with databases.

So basically that is how I use my machine. So I am still heading down the right path with Ubuntu?

Well, for the info.

Geo

Beans

In Ubuntu, go to system/administration/synaptics and you will find thousands of programs free. Just search a probable windows program and you would probably find an equivalent..
    Best thing about linux is YOU OWN THE MACHINE

www.linux.org/apps/
    "it crashed?"

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jukingeo View Post
    Going back to your other email...you do sound like installing programs is pretty complicated. I do have the Ubuntu For Dummies book and it says in there they have a similar Add/Remove button for programs much like Windows does. Could you mean what you said in reference to Linux in general? I did make a choice with Ubuntu because I was told that it was the easiest to get started with out of the other Linux formats. However, overall I really don't know what or in what context do the other Linux formats operate and what do they offer. So up to now that question goes unanswered.
    Hi Geo...

I wouldn't go so far as to say "easiest" but easier. I don't have the knowledge of all the distros to offer an educated opinion as to which is better in that way.

Synaptic is definately a positive step towards Windows-like installer functionality, however, you can only have Synaptic install what is available in the repositories. Although extensive, the repositories don't have everything.

If there is software that you want that is not available in the repositories, then, unless the author has made an easy install script, then you will need to learn Linux command line language VERY quickly and the art of compiling.

You can get help here in the forums if you run into any problems or don't understand something but usually only if someone knows anything about it.

Best Regards...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Im pretty sure with wine-doors you can install RCT3.
    http://www.wine-doors.org/wordpress/
    Off Like A Prom Dress!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

You can update all of your installed programs from one place, and browse (mostly) all availible programs from a desktop app. No need to search the internet for installers.

And its FREE!!!

Beans

Here, this tells you about some of the major flavors of linux:

http://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=major

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Hello All,

I recently became interested in the Linux operating system and come across a rather large article on the newer form of Linux called Ubuntu. It seems that this operating system was favored in some music recording groups and also for embedded control applications. Supposedly its streamlined format takes up very little space and runs very fast. What more is that unlike other forms of operating systems, Ubuntu can be run from a disk without altering the current computer set up.

I recently picked up a book called Ubuntu Linux for Dummies which included a disk that has the self booting version of Ubuntu on it.

That is as far as I got.

Now for a little background:

I am a Windows XP user right now and for the most part I been happy with Microsofts products, but lately they are getting very expensive and programs such as Internet Explorer are very susceptible to spyware and virus attachments from surfing on-line. The Windows operating system has become very bloated and there are functions on the OS that I seem to just never use. It is also a slow operating system and with each new version usually requires the upgrade to a faster machine.

For audio recording applications and embedded control Windows is usually frowned upon over the use of a Mac. However, a Mac has it's issues too and that it really isn't compatible with anything unless you take a really heavy sacrifice in power to run Windows programs.

Linux I have heard about but never delved into deeply. I know that it is an operating system and it is a free, community supported project that is open sourced. I find this as an interesting concept to offer an operating system like this for free to the community. At first I didn't pay it any mind, but Linux has been around too long for me to not take notice any more. What more is that with Ubuntu being able to be loaded on without altering my system further increases my interest in trying out the operating system.

Ok, so I bought the Ubuntu Linux for Dummies box and I have booted up Ubuntu from the disc. So far, so good, the interface looks nice and it seems like it is a nice graphical interface.

So what do I do now? Where do I go from here? That is why I am posting here.

So let me start things off by asking a few questions:

1) What is the advantages of Ubuntu Linux over Windows XP?
    2) What is the difference between Ubuntu Linux and regular Linux?
    3) What can you do with Ubuntu Linux that you can't with Windows XP
    4) Can Ubuntu Linux (or regular Linux) run Windows programs? What do I look for in terms of system requirements? Are commercial products also made to run on Linux (or Ubuntu)?
    5) How does Ubuntu handle hardware, drivers, and the like? Most of my peripherals were made with the intent to run on Windows XP. Will I loose any use of my printers, soundcards, etc?
    6) In terms of quantitive comparison's how much faster is Linux/Ubuntu in comparison to Windows XP.
    7) Can game programs work on Ubuntu? (an extension of can Windows programs work with Ubuntu). I know other open source programs should work with Ubuntu such as Mame, correct?

Ok, I will stop here for now, I am sure more questions will come up as I go along, but if anyone could provide some answers or some links on getting started with Ubuntu and what it can do for me would be very much appreciated.

Thank You,

Geo
    1) Well, as you stated, it's free, faster, less "bloated", doesn't include the stupid little things that slow down your computer, it can increase your productivity, you can impress your friends with Compiz-Fusion, the list goes on.

2) I don't think there is just Linux. There are different distributions or "distros" as they say around here that each have their own ups and downs. Ubuntu is the most user-friendly version of Linux and is the best for people switching from Windows to Linux.

3) There's nothing really that you can't do in Windows XP or Ubuntu, but I find that programs seem to run and load faster in Linux.

4) With the download of free software called "Wine", you can run just about every Windows program.

5) I find that Ubuntu is very friendly with all hardware, especially the latest release, Ubuntu 8.04. But if you have problems, just post it here and we'll be sure to help you.

6) Boot up time: Maybe 15 seconds faster.
    Program Launch: 2-4 times faster
    Login Time: 5 times faster

7) Most games will work in Linux either with Wine or with other Windows emulation software like Cedega, etc.

I hope I answered your questions and I hope that you enjoy Linux.
    ---
    Mac OS 10.6 | Ubuntu 9.04 | Windows 7 Ultimate

Beans

If that is too many to list then perhaps I will give everyone insight on how I normally use my machine based on what I do with Windows now (this is in order of precedence).

1) Information hunting and surfing
    2) Ebay--business and personal use
    3) Emailing
    4) Games
    6) Basic Stamp and other forms of embedded computer control

That is the bulk of my use. This is what I do on occasions:

6) Audio/video editing using Windows Movie Maker and Ableton Live
    7) Video and Photo editing (Corel Draw)
    8) Spreadsheets, business planning, working with databases.

So basically that is how I use my machine. So I am still heading down the right path with Ubuntu?
    Hi Geo...

With games, not so much....unless you play Linux games.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

1) What is the advantages of Ubuntu Linux over Windows XP?
    I'm sure the obvious ones have already been stated. I like it that we, the users, control the destiny of Linux as a platform. It's *our* operating system, not Microsoft's.

What do I look for in terms of system requirements? Are commercial products also made to run on Linux (or Ubuntu)?
    Some commercial products are made to work on Linux. For these, just focus on the system requirements that make sense to you. A lot of companies go into detail of what versions of libraries you need, but most of the time this is conservative enough so you can just ignore it - you're likely to have recent-enough libraries.

Why do you necessarily want commercial products? Linux is a platform, not just an operating system, and open-source programs can be just as good as the operating system.

5) How does Ubuntu handle hardware, drivers, and the like? Most of my peripherals were made with the intent to run on Windows XP. Will I loose any use of my printers, soundcards, etc?
    Driver support for most things is reverse-engineered, although a lot of hardware manufacturers are coming on-board with their own drivers for Linux. The best thing to do is research and try.

6) In terms of quantitive comparison's how much faster is Linux/Ubuntu in comparison to Windows XP.
    Windows XP with antivirus is terribly slow compared to Ubuntu. A fresh Windows XP SP2 will beat Ubuntu in speed, as you're comparing a 4-year-old operating system with the latest of everything on Linux.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast