Page 273 of 366 FirstFirst ... 173223263271272273274275283323 ... LastLast
Results 2,721 to 2,730 of 3658

Thread: Things that you dislike in Ubuntu

Beans

Re: Things that you dislike in Ubuntu

I love Ubuntu, but I'm wary of upgrading to a new version from the update manager. I tried it before with very buggy results. I don't know if it works better now, but ever since I always just do a fresh install from a live cd or usb stick.

Beans

1) In a dual boot system it is no quicker than Windows XP to boot up.
    2) It randomly stops.
    3) To upgrade or install requires two computers, one running a stable system and one being upgraded. That way you can access the forums for help when the upgrade fails to go smoothly. I had to reboot 20 to 30 times yesterday with changing Ubuntu and going to Windows to access the forums.
    Eric

Beans

It was so slow at first, but I got it covered. And I had enough RAM power about 4gigs.
    Sometimes it is so hard to manage within it, but I learn a lot in the process. Just when you are in a hurry it is annoying when it starts playing fools with you.

Beans

Less gaming facility is still a big issue. I don't hate for that, but want to see improvements about that.

Beans

I love Ubuntu I have no complaints. I'm learning about Ubuntu every day. I think of it as a hobby.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Unity. That is all.
    Technomancy
    The old ways are not the only ways. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner. Holographic daemons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Hinkley View Post
    I love Ubuntu, but I'm wary of upgrading to a new version from the update manager. I tried it before with very buggy results. I don't know if it works better now, but ever since I always just do a fresh install from a live cd or usb stick.
    This. I'd had a great experience with Unity in 12.04. Not flawless, but quite enjoyable for the most part. I'd been burned in the early days when version upgrades first came out, so I'd been doing fresh installs each time. When 12.10 appeared, I thought I'd give it another shot.

Too bad. It completely hosed my desktop, made it unusable. My bandwidth at home is limited, and I didn't have enough left to keep trying, so I just stuck the 12.10 version of Xubuntu on as a clean install, and it's been clear sailing ever since.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by llanitedave View Post
    This. I'd had a great experience with Unity in 12.04. Not flawless, but quite enjoyable for the most part. I'd been burned in the early days when version upgrades first came out, so I'd been doing fresh installs each time. When 12.10 appeared, I thought I'd give it another shot.

Too bad. It completely hosed my desktop, made it unusable. My bandwidth at home is limited, and I didn't have enough left to keep trying, so I just stuck the 12.10 version of Xubuntu on as a clean install, and it's been clear sailing ever since.
    Good on you! Xubuntu kicks a**.

Beans
    Hidden!

Seemingly untested "updates" for LTS versions.

Today I was just about ready to throw all that linux (ubuntu) stuff out of the Window! My Mythbuntu 12.04 LTS/ mythtv 0.25 setup has been working fine since the release of 12.04. Last night I stupedly allowed an update of what appear to be a bunch of AV libraries.

No settings were changed by me. Hardware is A1 OK. But the mythbox is broken and after 12 hours of trying to get it to at least play livetv without freezing the screen I have just about had enough. See related post here.As I wrote there, "Why do THEY do this to us all the time? Don't they test before releasing their latest malfeasance upon us unsuspecting clods?"
    Last edited by GuiGuy; January 29th, 2013 at 12:03 PM.
    The GuiGuy
    Free is only good when it works.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

What do I not like about Ubuntu?

The fact that doing a dist-upgrade is somehow more complicated than brain surgery. If you want to upgrade your dist, battle stations! Backup everything!! Anticipate that the upgrade will probably break your computer! Abandon allllll hope!!!

I mean good grief. I just upgraded my macbook from Snow Leopard directly to Mountain Lion. Wanna guess how painful it was? I clicked "Install" and came back to it 2 hours later to find a brand new, beautiful desktop. You come back to Ubuntu after an "upgrade" and tell me how often it actually works.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those that mind don't matter and those that matter don't mind."
    Ubuntu Registered User #29486

Page 273 of 366 FirstFirst ... 173223263271272273274275283323 ... LastLast