Page 355 of 366 FirstFirst ... 255305345353354355356357365 ... LastLast
Results 3,541 to 3,550 of 3658

Thread: Things that you dislike in Ubuntu

Beans

Re: Things that you dislike in Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by leogee2 View Post
    Sometimes difficulties with launching apps...
    That's why we have several subforums dedicated to support. Unfortunately, you haven't yet made use of them

Beans

The main thing I hate about Ubuntu is it keeps luring me back and I just know it's going to do that again with 17.10 or 18.04 dammit

Beans

They are gonna stop supporting Unity by default.

Beans

Web Dev of 20 years, I just made the switch and can't for the life of me figure out why I waited so long. I am down to two conversion issues, quickbooks and email and am looking for an alternative to get off quickbooks.

I managed to swap over email after a disastrous incident (post is on here, one I'd rather forget,) so there is only one single dislike:

The shortage of email programs.

There are many but they all look alike, like web-based email with variations on graphics and features. None of them have the free-floating windows of Eudora, e.g. the inbox, outbox, custom boxes all can be undocked from the main app GUI and moved around as needed. This is a really important feature to me, so I'm still looking.

Othe than that, zero, zilcha, nada, I only go back into Windows to do the books and I think that's going to end today, playing with a couple of solutions that claim to bring in properly exported Q.B. data.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Ubuntu and linux upgrades cause gut wrenching anxiety because they always caused days of work resolving complications (except 14.04, which I should have stuck with), and being unsure if your needed software is going to work with the latest version. I ended up with a cheat sheet of stuff I needed to do each time to get programs and systems to work. This time going from 14.04 on a GTX board to 17.04 on an ASUS MSA99X motherboard caused a full week of work and still the printer and audio functions do not work. Ubuntu has this joke it plays when doing a fresh install. It asks if you want to keep your existing software installations. Never works. I feel like Charlie Brown landing on my back when Lucy pulls away the football. I fall for it ever time, thinking it will finally work. Ha!

Can't imagine how the developers feel, having to keep up with the endlessly changing and new variants of hardware and software, and feeling they need to have something new and attractive to keep people using the OS. That complexity would be way beyond the hassles I have.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I agree. Slow down on new features and make everything just work. I thought perfection was nearly there at 10.04
    Last edited by cmcanulty; September 20th, 2017 at 04:23 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cmcanulty View Post
    I agree. Slow down on new features and make everything just work. I though perfection was nearly there at 10.04
    Amen. We don't need a shiny new look every 6 months, and we don't need shiny new code to do the same old things. We need bugs fixed. Doesn't anyone read these complaints?
    Last edited by VanillaMozilla; September 20th, 2017 at 03:43 PM.

Beans

Linux is the slowest OS I have ever used on any machine.

Never before have I given any product the benefit of the doubt as much as I have Linux : Ubuntu 12.04, Lubuntu, Xubuntu, Mint 1X, Puppy Linux, Knoppix ( sort of fast...in fairness) They all suck compared to Windows anything or OS anything, actually.
    It makes me very sad to think of the hundreds of hours I have spent learning about Linux over the years in the naive hope that eventually a distro or a new install would show some promise on ANY machine. That fools errand has come to an end. Just for kicks I installed puppy Linux on my 16GB memory AMD Phenom II X4 running a 256GB Solid state SATA 3 boot drive. (Boots Win 7 in about 12 seconds ) Boot time for the puppy: 28 seconds .....sorry. Methinks the Linux academe are'nt in the same league as the folks at MS and certainly should'nt be mentioned in the same breath with the folks at A##LE. Seriously, hasnt ANYONE actually tried , for example, a Ubuntu install side by side with Win7 ? with XP ??? on the same machine???

Beans

The Gnome "kill" extension doesn't work. Xmarks doesn't work. Wayland problem?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by wmichaelb2 View Post
    The Gnome "kill" extension doesn't work. Xmarks doesn't work. Wayland problem?
    Yes

Page 355 of 366 FirstFirst ... 255305345353354355356357365 ... LastLast