Page 279 of 366 FirstFirst ... 179229269277278279280281289329 ... LastLast
Results 2,781 to 2,790 of 3658

Thread: Things that you dislike in Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Things that you dislike in Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by deadflowr View Post
    I agree with thepost by Ubun2to and peyre.
    There are many things Ubuntu does, but randomly deleting files has never been one of them.
    Actually, there was (is?) a weird corruption bug with ext4 (the default filesystem in Ubuntu), and the way it clears a file on save can result in lost data if the save is cut off by a sudden shutdown, etc.

It's not exactly Ubuntu's fault, but I have had files destroyed and damaged from time to time.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I wish Ubuntu would just get one version that worked instad of adding all that Unity eye candy and various gee gaws..

Ever since i started using ubuntu in 2005 each and every distro has problems with graphic cards, sound cards (HDMI) and random gliches, (unity disapeared from the 3D gui) I spend all to much time on these boards just to keep it functioning.

i say one more year, then i will pull the plug and most likely go to Apple.
    There is no sense in having a plan if you're not going to pretend to follow it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

here here fuzzy,
    especially the ongoing, ever recurring, no sound "problem" with certain mb's.
    Ubuntu 12.04 x64 Kernel 3.2.0-30-gen GCC 4:4.6.3-1; AMD PHENOM2 X4 945 sAM3 95W; GByte GA-MA785GMTUD2H AMD785G SB710; Corsair TwinX 4GB DDR3 1333; 2x1.5TB Ssung HD154UI SATA; XCLIO 3060+; 500W STORM PSU
    Linux user 519546 Id 424242 Ubuntu user 31963

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyFeat View Post
    I wish Ubuntu would just get one version that worked instad of adding all that Unity eye candy and various gee gaws..
    Well don't limit yourself to mainstream Ubuntu--the variants don't have Unity, and both Xubuntu and Lubuntu are much more straightforward. They act very snappy too, and use a traditional Windows-type desktop like Ubuntu had pre-Unity.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by peyre View Post
    Well don't limit yourself to mainstream Ubuntu--the variants don't have Unity, and both Xubuntu and Lubuntu are much more straightforward. They act very snappy too, and use a traditional Windows-type desktop like Ubuntu had pre-Unity.
    Yes, Xubuntu is the most elegant Linux distro at the moment!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I'll check Xubuntu out. Perhaps the suspend issues are missing from this distro?
    There is no sense in having a plan if you're not going to pretend to follow it.

Beans

A built in way to have backgrounds change every couple of minutes. I know that Ubuntu has a couple pre-made configurations, but there isn't a clear way of allowing users to set their own.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by peyre View Post
    the problem with Lubuntu & Xubuntu is that, as well as coming with a more "straightforward" desktop, they don't come with "full size" packages, e.g. LibreOffice. they even have a different set of utities, e.g. file manager. almost nothing is the same a ubuntu. yes, obviously you can add all the usual packages that normally come with ubuntu but that takes forever.

why can't ubuntu simply come complete with whatever fancy de that's "in" that week plus a more basic one for those who don't want all the bells and whistles??
    Last edited by DouglasAdams; April 7th, 2013 at 07:35 PM.
    Ubuntu 12.04 x64 Kernel 3.2.0-30-gen GCC 4:4.6.3-1; AMD PHENOM2 X4 945 sAM3 95W; GByte GA-MA785GMTUD2H AMD785G SB710; Corsair TwinX 4GB DDR3 1333; 2x1.5TB Ssung HD154UI SATA; XCLIO 3060+; 500W STORM PSU
    Linux user 519546 Id 424242 Ubuntu user 31963

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Nothing really. I just uninstalled everything I hated. Having access to the Ubuntu repos without having to waste time configuring them myself made the trouble of going minimalist well worth it.

Maybe the non LTS updates? I don't really dislike them as I feel they are necessary to help develop the LTS versions but I personally don't like to run anything but the LTSes.
    We're alike, me and cat. A couple of poor nameless slobs. -- Holly Golightly

Beans

New releases don't fix long-standing problems, such as

* the intrusive demand for a keyring password (that you might not have set) which captures the keyboard, interrupting whatever you were doing

* the 15-second screen blank-out that occurs a minute or two after startup

I'll recall more as I try out Ubuntu 13.04 in a VM.

The keyring problem is the worst one. When the "Unlock keyring" dialog pops up on the host system, the keyboard is unavailable to the guest system. Wrong! Wrong! Wrong!
    Note that on a newly-installed system there is nothing anywhere on the menus about keyring or passwords. Even if you install the special utility and set the keyring as default and give it the same password as your login, the intrusive "Unlock keyring" dialog still pops up at random times, stealing your keystrokes. The developers absolutely refuse to acknowledge the issue or fix it.
    Last edited by jcoles; April 28th, 2013 at 11:53 AM.

Page 279 of 366 FirstFirst ... 179229269277278279280281289329 ... LastLast