Beans

Re: Things that you hate in Ubuntu

wlan don't work in ubuntu, so i need an external usb-card

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by acidboot3r View Post
    The thing I hate about in Ubuntu is the fact that it isn't exactly noob friendly. For some computers, they will experience problems using the OS, and to fix it, you always have to configure some important file (most of the time xorg.conf or GRUB), or use terminal or do a whole lot of complex stuff. I've always found a problem while using Linux Distributions, but I'm still sticking to it! ^_^
    Good that you're sticking with it. #1 tip to remember that it's not Windows; just different ways of doing thing. I personally prefer having individual configuration files located in obvious places versus the "registry dumpster" of Windows. I find it a lot easier to edit settings in a single text file than chasing down some obscure class ID in the registry. Some settings are a no brainer in the registry if you know where they are, but for the computer novice it can be a nightmare, and potentially lethal to the OS if they mess up.

Some people say the terminal is a hindrance. For the absolute first timer, maybe, but you definitely want to get used to it. Once you get the hang of what its capable of, it's absurdly brilliant and powerful. Sure I have a pretty GUI and all its 3D rendered goodness, but I can just bang out tasks faster in a console. Forget anything you know about Window's command prompt. Comparing the terminal to Cmd is like, I dunno, comparing a Ferrari to bellybutton lint. Well that's not exactly fair; I find the lint more useful than Cmd.exe.

Quote Originally Posted by OzzyFrank View Post
    As for sound, I never had a problem till the kernel update last night. Before, my Audigy card was much more easily picked up than in Windows, where it needed drivers installed, but then I lost sound. But at least booting into the previous kernel at GRUB gives me my sound back.
    I ran into this once with my Audigy as well. I regularly compile my own kernel against the Ubuntu repo source. I have a couple USB devices that I really don't want powered up when the system is turned off. (An LCD display among other things.) I apply a patch that tells USB to power down when the kernel shuts down. One of the Ubuntu kernel updates, for whatever reason, had a lot of the PCI audio cards disabled, which killed my Audigy. Had to turn them back on, re-recompile, and was good to go. Go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss_Hopeful View Post
    I miss Windows Media player and Windows movie maker...havn't fogured out how to install one that runs with Ubuntu...then again...maybe it's easy and I'm just retarded. Who knows.
    Heh no, not retarded. Just goes to getting used to a non Windows environment. A Windows user jumping in feet first into a Mac for example will be equally lost.

Personally I can't stand Media Player,aka WiMP, as there's some formats it just won't play, and lots and lots of phoning home. (In Windows, I prefer Xion or WinAmp for audio, and video you just cant beat Media Player Classic). There's some quality Linux native programs to try though. Amarok is arguably one of the best players, period. Personally, under Gnome, I prefer Exaile. Pretty light, sits in the tray, and pops up a notification with album art on a track change. Very simplistic, which is all I want. There's a lot of others that are worth checking too.

I won't argue about Movie Maker. Working with the evil WMA format aside, it's actually rather nice for a light movie editor for people who don't need a full blown Premiere type solution. Alternatives might be Kino or LiVES perhaps. Little more in-depth than Movie Maker though.

One site that I like for looking through more popular apps is getdeb.net. Many of those applications are in the repository already (or are there but may be out of date), but if not, you can download a .deb archive and install it that way.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I don't hate anything about Ubuntu really. It does some things better than, and some things worse than Windows. Overall, I'd say the balance is in favor of Ubuntu, but it's pretty close... especially considering all the tweaking I've *had* to do to get Ubuntu working right.

Having said that, my wife has occasional gripes about Ubuntu. Perhaps most importantly is mediocre support for Chinese characters (display, input and printing). She majors in this language, so it's pretty annoying not to be able to work on our desktop. Unfortunately, printing in general works MUCH better with Ubuntu, but when she transfers her files from her windows eeepc, some formatting and characters fail to print.
    Intel Core2duo 4400, 2ghz -- Intel DP965LT motherboard, onboard sound -- nVidia 8500GT (from MSI) 256MB -- 2gig ram

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

What I hate about Ubuntu is that it's too hard to get my video card working properly. Had the same problem in 6.06. I never got it fixed so I bailed on it. I figured that after a few releases that might have gotten fixed but apparently it hasn't given all the hits I get when I search for help. You wouldn't think it would be that hard to set resolution and refresh after successfully installing the driver but apparently it is.

Yes I've searched for help and edited the X11.conf file, but for me it doesn't work. I even posted in the Beginner's forum, but nobody replied to it. I did manage somehow to get the refresh rate to 75Hz, but I have to reset it every time I log in, which is a PITA and the resolution isn't right in any case. I'll try for another day or so, but if I don't figure it out I can't see myself working with an OS that is hard to look at.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Simian Man View Post
    • Some packages are pretty old (like Eclipse)
    • Lack of root user (I know about sudo, I *like* root) by default and the fact that synaptic etc. use gksudo instead of gksu even after enabling root
    • Ugly default theme
    • apt-get/aptitude aren't the best
    • Synaptic is ugly and disorganized
    • No DVD
    I like apt-get and Synaptic but I totally agree about the lack of root user.

Also, I hate that Ubuntu always wants to do things way different than other distros. One example is no way of fixing sound when it's been disabled or isn't working. Even the Ubuntu 'sound fix' page doesn't help. And why should it?

I installed the binary Nvidia driver and it disabled my sound but there is no fix.

I guess I am ready to give up on the *ubuntus. It does look good in KDE but soon the other KDE-oriented distros will move to it and there will be one less reason to use *ubuntu.

I *hate* how Ubuntu changes things and basically spits on 'Linux-based' systems. There is no alsaconfig utility in Ubuntu. I had one in another distro that fixed my sound.

Debian users hate Ubuntu. Ever wonder why?

Beans

Hate how I can't use my Bluray drive....

..*awaits bluray hate mail*
    "It is one thing to show a man that he is in an error, and another to put him in possession of the truth." (John Locke)

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I don't hate anything or I wouldn't be using it and neither would I be hanging around the Ubuntu forums.

Mick

Beans

There's no shortage of threads of people saying why they love it.

Why can't there be an acceptance of the complaints?

I hate it because I can't fix my sound and all I did was install a video driver!!!!

I despise it now so here's some other reasons:
    http://pelletiermaxime.info/2008/12/...te-Ubuntu.html

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by SeePU View Post
    There's no shortage of threads of people saying why they love it.

Why can't there be an acceptance of the complaints?

I hate it because I can't fix my sound and all I did was install a video driver!!!!

I despise it now so here's some other reasons:
    http://pelletiermaxime.info/2008/12/...te-Ubuntu.html
    Yeah I had a bug kinda like that. The first time I used 8.10, and installed the graphics driver, it took out my WIFI, and refused to detect it afterwards, so I went back to XP, until that got nailed by another virus, came back to Ubuntu and never had had a problem again until just recently!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MickS View Post
    I don't hate anything or I wouldn't be using it and neither would I be hanging around the Ubuntu forums.

Mick
    Without hating somethings shortcomings it will never improve
    "It is one thing to show a man that he is in an error, and another to put him in possession of the truth." (John Locke)

Page 53 of 366 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103153 ... LastLast