Page 363 of 366 FirstFirst ... 263313353361362363364365 ... LastLast
Results 3,621 to 3,630 of 3658

Thread: Things that you dislike in Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Things that you dislike in Ubuntu

the thing i hate most about Ubuntu is the lack of a release time machine. i hate having to wait until 2020 to install 20.04 LTS.
    Mask wearer, Social distancer, System Administrator, Programmer, Linux advocate, Command Line user, Ham radio operator (KA9WGN/8, tech), Photographer (hobby), occasional tweetXer

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by uRock View Post
    I know VLC, Thunderbird, and a few others have two listings in the store. One for Snap and one for Deb. The installer shouldn't install both unless you tell it to. I was going to mention Firefox, but it looks like the deb version of it has been removed from Software. Software doesn't even show I have Firefox installed, because I have the deb.
    I think it's this old bug
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...d/+bug/1682455
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Artim View Post
    Xubuntu doesn't ship with Synaptic installed. I have to install it myself via the terminal. It's sooooo much easier than the software store, and it's all debs, nice 'n' safe.
    I prefer Synaptic, too. It gets things done.

Quote Originally Posted by deadflowr View Post
    Thanks! I've marked that it affects me.
    Cheers & Beers, uRock
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans
    Hidden!

I hate that upstart was abandoned. It was a good backup init and I'm neither certain about its future (which looks bleak if it has one at all) or who to ask. I don't expect Canonical to maintain it per se, but I wish there was an effort to keep it in the repos.

This affects distros I work on, which are based on Ubuntu. If Ubuntu included more init packages from upstream, that would also work. Don't ask me why they would (I don't even know why upstart was really needed in the first place, but I make use of it now.)

Beans

I'm tech-savvy, but I'm new to Ubuntu, and I'm trying to get an Ubuntu system set up for torrenting. Here are some of the problems I've encountered so far, and I'm nowhere near getting up and running. Most of them aren't really Ubuntu's fault; they just reflect the fact that most developers still don't fully support Linux, and their users are expected to be experienced in Linux.

1. 18.04 doesn't boot on my system. https://askubuntu.com/questions/1029...032198#1032198 proposes some possible fixes, but I don't know how to run terminal commands on a non-bootable system, so I gave up and installed 16.04.

2. My password manager, Keepass2, isn't fully supported. It's usable, but it can't lock after global inactivity and the scroll wheel doesn't work (I've found this to be a problem in several apps.)

3. My VPN, Surfshark, doesn't provide a GUI app or a kill switch on Ubuntu. Connection is done from the terminal by listing the servers and entering a number, like a 30-year-old DOS program. They give instructions to modify iptables to force apps to only use the VPN connection, but don't tell exactly when to run them or how to undo them.

4. Transmission-remote/daemon won't read .torrent files that work fine with uTorrent. The Transmission GUI app reads them, but provides no way to load a large number of existing torrent downloads (e.g. with a script.) The GUI app and the daemon seem to have separate torrent lists: a torrent loaded with the GUI app isn't listed by transmission-remote. No documentation seems to exist on whether the GUI app and the daemon are actually part of a unified package, or just two completely different apps with a common name.

5. I couldn't get RDP to work with the Ubuntu desktop. I installed xubuntu-desktop (XFCE?), but mouse clicks work only sometimes and the mouse/touchpad settings won't open, so I can't switch mouse buttons.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by freonpsandoz View Post
    1. 18.04 doesn't boot on my system. https://askubuntu.com/questions/1029...032198#1032198 proposes some possible fixes, but I don't know how to run terminal commands on a non-bootable system, so I gave up and installed 16.04.
    No terminal commands are needed for testing the proposed solution. Just edit the Grub menu to temporarily add the additional kernel parameter and try booting. If it works then you should make it permanent by editing
    /etc/default/grub.

2. My password manager, Keepass2, isn't fully supported. It's usable, but it can't lock after global inactivity and the scroll wheel doesn't
    work (I've found this to be a problem in several apps.)
    It may or may not be related to the same graphical issue the above tries to solve with the kernel parameter.

3. My VPN, Surfshark, doesn't provide a GUI app or a kill switch on Ubuntu. Connection is done from the terminal by listing the servers and entering a number, like a 30-year-old DOS program. They give instructions to modify iptables to force apps to only use the VPN connection, but don't tell exactly when to run them or how to undo them.
    Windows still uses command line and I would argue now more than ever. Any tech-savy person should know that. VPNs, at least those that depend on OpenVPN can be configured in Gnome easily. Many providers opt for the command line method only because it works everywhere regardless of the desktop environment. In Linux you can have many different ones with different features and what works in one may not work on another whereas the commands are universal. It's very different from Windows where there's only one desktop environment which can0't be uncoupled from kernel. Linux, as you surely know by now, can run without any DE, the default in servers.

4. Transmission-remote/daemon won't read .torrent files that work fine with uTorrent. The Transmission GUI app reads them, but provides no way to load a large number of existing torrent downloads (e.g. with a script.) The GUI app and the daemon seem to have separate torrent lists: a torrent loaded with the GUI app isn't listed by transmission-remote. No documentation seems to exist on whether the GUI app and the daemon are actually part of a unified package, or just two completely different apps with a common name.
    Don't know about scripts but I know they don't have separated torrents lists. Provided the remote is properly configured - very likely it isn't - and also the GUI app that needs to have remote access enabled with the required settings for the intended use. If everything is correctly setup the remote app will show the list of torrents and any torrent file can be uploaded to Transmission from the remote app. There should be no difference in what you see in one or another.
    Also the GUI is just that, a GUI. The actual Transmission is the headless daemon, the GUI isn't required (and couldn't work in headless systems (e.g. servers).

5. I couldn't get RDP to work with the Ubuntu desktop. I installed xubuntu-desktop (XFCE?), but mouse clicks work only sometimes and the mouse/touchpad settings won't open, so I can't switch mouse buttons.
    Can't really help you that, not sure what are talking about. But considering the previous points my educated guess is that you're doing something wrong -or- that is also a side effect of the graphical issues that would supposedly be solved by the kernel parameter mentioned in the AU answer you linked.

Beans

What I don't like about Ubuntu and Debian

It's ancient. Old and crappy.

If you read Linux blogs and guides and watch Linux videos, you will be told that Debian and debian based Ubuntu have the most packages out there. Well that's a load of balogna. Fedora has the most, and the most recent, Ubuntu has old stuff you wouldn't want to use. Starting with xscreensaver and it's matrixgl and tempest hacks, ending with everything else. You can't even get corectrl on Ubuntu. Now ok, proponents will argue stability. But if anyone of you want to argue that argument, show me instability in xscreensaver 5.43, compile it, install it, and show instability. I would argue stability has nothing to do with it, it's something else.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

There are lots of things to like, such as ease and reliability of updating (bye bye Windows!)

Personally I have had most difficulty with the seemingly steep learning curve when confronted by a problem. Most recently WiFi connection failing apparently randomly even when close to the router. [Note to developer: Posting a message such as "Connection failed" with no link or hint as to cause and perhaps fix(es) is not helpful!)
    These forums are a great facility, although finding a post relating to a specific issue can be challenging. Recently while browsing here came across the instructions for generating wireless-info; perhaps such aids can be made easier to find.
    Dealing with drivers is also a tricky area. Is there documentation for such tasks?
    It doesn't help that OEMs such as HP don't support Linux - a short-sighted policy if I ever saw one. Perhaps it's time for them to recognize the growing body of "Linux Lovers".

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

HPLIP makes any HP product a breeze to set up.

https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imaging-and-printing

Beans

First Linux was working many architectures like 32-bit.
    Bad news, no more 32-bit support.
    Increible: Latest windows version still supports 32-bit.
    Last edited by rsotol028; March 24th, 2020 at 07:08 PM. Reason: enhance

Page 363 of 366 FirstFirst ... 263313353361362363364365 ... LastLast