Page 360 of 366 FirstFirst ... 260310350358359360361362 ... LastLast
Results 3,591 to 3,600 of 3658

Thread: Things that you dislike in Ubuntu

Beans

Re: Things that you dislike in Ubuntu

I first tried it around 2006 on an old computer and when XP support ended I decided to dive in head first. I was first exposed to computers at work in the mid 80's and by 1989 worked with them as an end user at the railroad all day every day. In my younger years I used to tinker with home built and/or modified computers so though I'm not a pro I'm far more advanced than the average 67 year old. I use my desktop for digital photography, layered graphics and Audacity for the final tweaks on MP3 music recordings done on my Tascam 24 track. I play guitars, bass and keys and use a drum machine to add drums and a voice processor to enhance my vocals. All of these are fun hobbies as my working background was in accounting so the creativity is for fun.

I'm not a terminal expert but once I figure out how to configure things Ubuntu runs flawlessly until there's a hardware failure or I retire the computer. I like it so much that I bought my wife a System 76 laptop and myself a Zareason desktop so I guess you could say that I'm all in on Ubuntu.

Now for the negative, and this really isn't a deal breaker but once in a while I'll research compatible hardware, make a purchase and end up struggling with some inexplicable little thing that ends up taking days to resolve. Case in point, I bought a Logitech C270 webcam a couple months ago and set it aside until I finished a remodeling project. Now that I'm done with that I finally had time to try out the webcam. It works right out of the box except I don't get any sound through the speakers. I get sound if I record a video in Cheese but when I plug it in and try it on one of the webcam test sites it doesn't come through the speakers. I'm searching and posted a "webcam question" thread in the Hardware section. The thing works and I can see the volume indicator moving when I speak but nothing out of the speakers so far. I know it's a simple configuration issue and that the answer will be some simple setting when I figure out the problem but the time spent chasing my tail on something this simple is humbling and frustrating.
    Last edited by Stan_Meissner; January 4th, 2019 at 09:56 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

It has been a while. I started using Ubuntu since 6.06 Dapper stopped seriously using Ubuntu after 14.04 Trusty. I had 14.04 on a net-top connected to my TV (asus eb1033 - a dual core atom based box wit nvidia ion) and it worked quite well. I did not like the later releases. Stuff just stopped working well with 16.04 - cup fan would rev up all the time, graphics sluggish. It downright would not run on another machine where unity could not use hardware acceleration if the graphics card driver didn't have 3-d support in Ubuntu. I think I wanted to like Unity, but it just seemed to sacrifice performance and utility for flair.

I got my hands on a Lenovo X1 Carbon with no OS and I installed 18.04. I am very impressed with how refined it is running Gnome. That being said, it "offers" things that don't work, or if they do, they aren't intuitive or reliable:

Google Drive Stream - initially, it worked albeit slowly, but now Gnome Files shows the mount, but just completely locks up now and I have to kill the file manager. The drive shows mounted when i reopen it, but it simply just stopped working and if I navigate to the folder, Files just locks again and needs to be "killed."

OneDrive - I have no idea. I signed in when I added my Microsoft account, it shows the file switch being on, but I have no idea where the files are showing. A OneDrive folder never appeared in my home folder. I also installed the package onedrive afterwards, but I assume if it were required, it would have installed, so I assume it is a separate package that works in another way? I searched for half an hour and I cannot fine a definitive answer to either question. One source just says "your OneDrive folder" like it just appears, and another source says it is read only anyway. Whatever.

So what I don't like about Ubuntu is minor. I accept it is a polished OS once again that attempts to play nicely with proprietary things and it may or may not have easy to understand/find documentation on such things. Digging for a lot of time, or just using the same browser to log in and drag and drop the handful of times I need to do it, fine... drag and drop into a browser it is then.

The hardware and the function of the OS are impeccable on this particular machine. I just wish it would not offer services out of the box that look nice but are funky in dependability or utility.

OneDrive and GoogleDrive still work well via any browser, so these things are not deal breakers.
    Last edited by maestrobwh1; January 9th, 2019 at 03:16 AM.

Beans

I hate how complicated it is to add additional hard drives for sharing. Also hate that my games dont work on it. If my games worked on ubuntu it would be my main OS. right now its my server OS.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ryu750 View Post
    I hate how complicated it is to add additional hard drives for sharing. Also hate that my games dont work on it. If my games worked on ubuntu it would be my main OS. right now its my server OS.
    If your issue is with drives not being automatically mounted, then this may be helpful. I don't share anything from my primary machine, so I can't say if shares show automatically after restarts.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPDhoYNao1o

As for the games, that's on their developers. I don't do any gaming. I am too busy with small business startups.
    Cheers & Beers, uRock
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans

It is not something typical of Ubuntu, but I hope that the day will come when homogenizing the QT + GTK appearance will be easier, as well as the root apps ...

I hate having to have the blue color in part of my system. I wish you could use QTCurve in GTK2 and GTK3 without problems.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I like Ubuntu... I have more 'buntu systems than Windows systems... but anyway... what annoys me the most is that they keep CHANGING things... yes I know OSes evolve, but make up your minds... going from Gnome to Unity and back to Gnome... going from initd to systemd... xorg to Wayland and then back to xorg... apparently "if it ain't broke dont fix it" doesn't apply here.

Seems everytime an old LTS is about to drop support I have to relearn the whole OS all over again in order to get up and running on the newest LTS, especially on systems like my firewall where I have things customized heavily. Oh well, that's what makes it fun and challenging too.
    Current 'buntu systems: multiple systems running Server or Desktop 22.04 LTS / Retired or Upgraded: 18.04.2 LTS, Mythbuntu 16.04 LTS, Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS, 14.04 LTS, 10.04 LTS, 8.04 LTS
    Been using ubuntu since 6.04 (16 years!)

Beans

Suspend and/or Hibernate : Always a nightmare and I have PTSD from trying it in any new Ubuntu version. I understand it is not easy with linux architecture to make this universally work but I can't imagine that it can't be solved. This is a big hindrance for a user friendly distribution to get acceptance. I'm a dev so I'm used to pain but this annoys me so much that I mainly develop in Windows on my laptops....

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

The most annoying thing for me in Ubuntu is that it gets slower and slower, and slower. This laptop is quite powerful, but booting takes much longer these days and applications are taking longer to load. Longer than when it was installed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by oygle View Post
    The most annoying thing for me in Ubuntu is that it gets slower and slower, and slower. This laptop is quite powerful, but booting takes much longer these days and applications are taking longer to load. Longer than when it was installed.
    This works for me: Every time Ubuntu updates with a new kernel, some junk is left behind. I open a Terminal and type:
    HTML Code:
    sudo apt autoremove
    Then:
    HTML Code:
    sudo apt autoclean
    Then:
    HTML Code:
    sudo apt upgrade
    The first command should get rid of some bulky stuff. The other 2 are just good housekeeping.
    Hope it helps!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

The thing I dislike most in Ubuntu is the fact that there is no root account.
    I'm using it on this new machine because it is the only distribution that supports it for the moment.
    Of course when installing I was told that my password was too weak by chance I didn't change it as
    in a week time I had to enter it hundreds of times.
    I tried to change it later and it turned into a nightmare having 2 different passwords for the same account
    and at times none of them worked.
    By chance I had created a second user and it saved me.
    But its password is very simple and I don't dare to change it.
    Using recovery I did change back the original password it kind of worked
    but sometimes it don't.

Page 360 of 366 FirstFirst ... 260310350358359360361362 ... LastLast