Page 356 of 356 FirstFirst ... 256306346354355356
Results 3,551 to 3,560 of 3560

Thread: Things that you dislike in Ubuntu

Beans

Re: Things that you dislike in Ubuntu

People don't know Linux and dos are the OS and don't known what they see is the GUI is what and the programs they use work the same. like Firefox, etc.and the hardware makes not support support hardware like they do MS.I am 71. But I think the younger people will see MS going away. Google is bigger than MS and dos will be history. 90%+ main mainframes run Linux. Most people in the USA don't known enuff about the programs they use they.
    Johnny

Beans
    I wish it could surprise me with that black box or that blue screen that makes everything go away randomly

But seriously,

Lack of available software, poor hardware support. If it had those two things, Ubuntu would be sitting happily on top of the world.
    Last edited by coffeecat; November 3rd, 2017 at 08:55 AM. Reason: Merged two consecutive posts

Beans

I don't like that I have to mark the whole downloads folder or the files manually as they are downloaded safe to execute. The good thing is a CH mod command to the folder will fix that and all new downloaded files will be mark with the permissions you set via chmod. sudo chmod ### ~/Downloads/ and ~/Downloads/* for all the current files. Replace the ### with how ever you want it setup ether its full access or just execute its up to you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

I had to think about it. I can understand ~/Desktop existing, but do I really need ~/Videos, ~/Pictures, ~/Documents? Really? This isn't Windows and I have my own organization scheme (250+ icons piled on top of each other in ~/Desktop). It's a purely FUD thing that keeps me from deleting them. Certainly, there is a package out there and has one of those paths hard-coded and lacking a file-exists exception handler that would cause it to terminate destructively at inopportune times.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

go into your home/.config/user-dirs.dirs Make sure show hidden files is checked.
    Here is mine which eliminates those, you can also do it system wide, I forget that location. I only have one user and this works fine for me. Just edit out the the names of the ones you don't want as shown below

Code:
    # This file is written by xdg-user-dirs-update
    # If you want to change or add directories, just edit the line you're
    # interested in. All local changes will be retained on the next run
    # Format is XDG_xxx_DIR="$HOME/yyy", where yyy is a shell-escaped
    # homedir-relative path, or XDG_xxx_DIR="/yyy", where /yyy is an
    # absolute path. No other format is supported.
    # 
    XDG_DESKTOP_DIR="$HOME/Desktop"
    XDG_DOWNLOAD_DIR="$HOME/Documents"
    XDG_TEMPLATES_DIR="$HOME/Documents"
    XDG_PUBLICSHARE_DIR="$HOME/Documents"
    XDG_DOCUMENTS_DIR="$HOME/Documents"
    XDG_MUSIC_DIR="$HOME/Documents"
    XDG_PICTURES_DIR="$HOME/Documents"
    XDG_VIDEOS_DIR="$HOME/Documents"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Linux is the slowest OS I have ever used on any machine.

Quote Originally Posted by queenmun1997 View Post
    Never before have I given any product the benefit of the doubt as much as I have Linux : Ubuntu 12.04, Lubuntu, Xubuntu, Mint 1X, Puppy Linux, Knoppix ( sort of fast...in fairness) They all suck compared to Windows anything or OS anything, actually.
    It makes me very sad to think of the hundreds of hours I have spent learning about Linux over the years in the naive hope that eventually a distro or a new install would show some promise on ANY machine. That fools errand has come to an end. Just for kicks I installed puppy Linux on my 16GB memory AMD Phenom II X4 running a 256GB Solid state SATA 3 boot drive. (Boots Win 7 in about 12 seconds ) Boot time for the puppy: 28 seconds .....sorry. Methinks the Linux academe are'nt in the same league as the folks at MS and certainly should'nt be mentioned in the same breath with the folks at A##LE. Seriously, hasnt ANYONE actually tried , for example, a Ubuntu install side by side with Win7 ? with XP ??? on the same machine???
    Not sure where your boot speed issues are coming from. I have ubuntu on an SSD and my boot time is less than 10 seconds. That is with an encrypted /home partition.

Don't get me started on all of the hardware I have sitting around that is supported in Linux, yet unsupported in Windows 7 or 10.

Beans

I suppose I dislike Unity. In fairness, I tried it for almost a full month and frankly I just plain don't get it. If I were running a tablet then maybe. I happen to LIKE a bottom-screen-based task bar with a real menu with real categories. That's how I think. Thankfully, Xubuntu is fantastic. It's robust, stable, and makes me happy. I chose the XFCE version of Linux Mint just because it saves me time and effort, but there's no reason I couldn't use Xubuntu if I wanted.

I dislike Gnome3.. badly. But, I suppose that's not really something I can blame on Ubuntu. Can I? hehe. Nah.

I don't like the trend there seems to be in getting away from UI standards. I have a couple of friends with some mobility differences. Using Ubuntu just isn't an option because of how the interface forcibly relies on the mouse now. Keyboard shortcuts and standards are "out the window" (pun intended) in favor of "coolness" or "newness". So, what I really don't like is that standards are just disregarded instead of added on to. There's no reason why long-standing methods of doing things have to be discarded instead of added to. Of course, this is not only Ubuntu.. but it's here too.

Beans

Re: Linux is the slowest OS I have ever used on any machine.

Quote Originally Posted by uRock View Post
    Don't get me started on all of the hardware I have sitting around that is supported in Linux, yet unsupported in Windows 7 or 10.
    OMG yes! I have suggested Ubuntu/Linux to many friends. Some of them have stuck with it. However, the ones who don't stick with it are usually the ones who say "this particular thing is very bad in Linux." That "particular thing" varies from person to person and hardware to hardware. One of my friends actually has about 3 different systems and each one has a specific compatibility problem - but that is just shockingly rare. His gear is just very odd. Another friend just couldn't get his inkjet printer to work. After a year, he went back to Windows because of this, instead of just replacing the $75 printer. But, that's a personal choice.

Of course, that was the other side of the coin. All the extra hardware I have laying around is all far more stable and supported with Linux than it was with whatever version of Windows it came with. Linux support has been SO GOOD that I actually can't remember the last time I picked up a driver disk. And I certainly don't miss that.

Beans

Nothing.....

Beans

Installation ERRORS!!!!

Page 356 of 356 FirstFirst ... 256306346354355356