Page 295 of 355 FirstFirst ... 195245285293294295296297305345 ... LastLast
Results 2,941 to 2,950 of 3544

Thread: Things that you dislike in Ubuntu

Re: Things that you dislike in Ubuntu

its not really an ubuntu specific thing that nags me, but there are no decent email apps for any linux distro.
    thunderbird is crap. evolution isnt any better.
    geary might be good in the future, but right now it crashes every 5 seconds, so its un-usable.
    sparrow on mac (and airmail on mac too) are examples of what we need for email in linux. not the design of them, the speed.
    they are fantastically fast.
    when I have to reply to a mail in thunderbird or evolution I think 'nooo, please dont churn away for ages and make my system slow this time, I just need to write a mail'. when you use sparrow or airmail on mac they are so good that you dont even notice they are there.
    please check out my blog I have a linux tips section

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by Ubun2to View Post
    The lack of formatting makes this an eyesore to read. Paragraphs, people!
    And nobody is forcing you to use this, so if you don't like it, it's your choice to use it, in the same way it is your choice to do a job you do not like.
    You stated Linux is about choice. Well, shouldn't the developers be the ones to choose how the OS works? If you have no involvement in the dev process, why should you be making choices for them? Sure, you can lobby against changes (especially controversial ones such as the Unity shopping lens), but you are not making the dev's decisions for them. So stop acting like they are 5 and you are their mother.
    Don't like Unity? This is what I hate about you people. All you do is complain "UNITY SUX" "omg lagfest" "LOL U USE UNITY??? HAHAHAHA NUB!" Did you know that, rather than complain about how much you hate it, you could save time, keystrokes, and energy by typing "sudo apt-get install [insert DE here]" and shutting up? Quite the concept! Maybe you should try it out sometime!
    LinusTechTips recently uploaded a video about the WD Computex booth, and you reminded me of what Linus said. Link (the video leads to ~1 minute before what I am talking about to give you context, if you need to you can just skip to 4:05 to see what I am talking about). The person who has a drive failure complains about it, while the one who does not will keep their mouth shut and let the circlejerk do its thing. Likewise, the people who hate Unity are very vocal about it, while those who enjoy using it stay out of the way to avoid the witch hunt that always seems to happen whenever someone says "I like Unity" on a website not primarily about Ubuntu (in a good light, of course-anti-Ubuntu websites have nothing but hate for Unity). This leads people to a false conclusion that Unity sucks, as they only hear about how it is bad, rarely about how it is good.
    I try not to rant, but it is people like you who push me over the edge. All you do is claim how Ubuntu is to Linux like Satanists are to Christians (and apparently there is Ubuntu Satanic Edition, for those who have ever wondered), but never provide well thought-out explanations to justify your claims. It's essentially making up a religion out of thin air and claiming it's the one true religion because "my deity told me, therefore it is fact and you must respect it." Stop trying to cram opinions down other people's throats like it has been proven by science and everyone should know it. I have no problem with people who dislike Unity, but I will respond to people who do nothing but hate like they are hired by M$ to debase Ubuntu.
    Hi, Ubun2to.

The person you're referring to about formating paragraphs wrote a very hard to read message. I tried to read the whole message so that I could reply to it in it's full content. The lack of formating, as you pointed out made it very hard to read. I got dizzy trying to read it.

Your message is just as hard. Maybe you encrypted it with a lack of formating to make a point to Vadimkolchev. It was a strong point. I tried, but I couldn't read your whole message. Without white spaces (especially between thoughts or paragraphs), it was so run-on, but I couldn't take it in.

What space doesn't take any room on the hard drive or the data band width. So try to be kind to the reader and put more white space in your messages.

A person will grab a chunk of info, and process it, then grab another chunk.

However without white space, it's hard to tell where to pause for processing the information. If you pause at the wrong time, you might not get the intended point. If you don't pause while reading, you could get lost.

Be kind to the reader. Provide white spaces between gulps of information.

-- L. James

--
    L. D. James
    ljames@apollo3.com
    www.apollo3.com/~ljames

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by vadimkolchev View Post
    Thanks, it was fun to read your 5yo offence.
    Confirmed for failing at trolling.
    Try to remove unity and install softwarecenter. It sucks not because it's unity. Just try and post results.
    I think the developers of Elementary got that one down.
    And I think windows to be worse than ubuntu, but they will vry soon be on the same level.
    I do not think Canonical will sink to the likes of M$, trying to stop competing OSs by doing things such as Secure (Restricted) Boot and charging ridiculous prices.
    And ok, kid, let developers decide for ypu, like in ms.
    It's not letting devs decide for you if you switch distros in the same way that it is not letting politicians decide for you by voting for the other party and/or becoming a politician. You can modify the source, submit bug fixes, and get involved without becoming the boss of the devs. M$ does not decide for you, either. The way you tell the devs at M$ what you want is with your money, by not buying licenses (and likewise, by not pirating it or using it at all). The way you tell the devs in the Linux world is by participating in the community and (if need be) switching distros. Everyone is different, and to tailor an Ubuntu install to every single person's wants would be stupid. Not everyone's ideas can be included.
    Backups are amazing. 99% of data loss can be prevented by spending less than $100 on an external drive.
    If you have seen an error, there is a good chance someone else has, too. Google is your friend.

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Thanks, it was fun to read your 5yo offence. Try to remove unity and install softwarecenter. It sucks not because it's unity. Just try and post results. .
    Nothing spectacular, it removes the usc as expected and ubuntu-desktop, which is a meta-package.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/24073...oftware-center

But then since you claim you think the gui is somehow a corruption of Linux (as if Ubuntu is the only distros that has a gui desktop) so what do you care?

Beans
    Hidden!

.... that every day there is yet another mind numbingly, infuriating gem of nonsense this crazy OS is capable off:

1) I have a server (HP/Proliant) running Ubuntu 12.04 LTS server.
    2) There is a printer connected and shared enabled
    3) Connecting and using the printer from Windows clients, no problem.
    4) Connecting and using the printer from Ubuntu clients does not work:

"FirewallD is not running. Network printer detection needs services mdns, ipp, ipp-client and samba-client enabled on firewall."

Oh the irony; to use a shared printer on Ubuntu one needs a Windows client PC.

Footnote: It goes without saying that I have spent countless hours trying to overcome this. I have given up now.
    The GuiGuy
    Free is only good when it works.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

Quote Originally Posted by GuiGuy View Post
    Oh the irony; to use a shared printer on Ubuntu one needs a Windows client PC.
    You don't say what printer. It's not a GDI printer (winprinter) by any chance?

a GDI printer requires a PC running Windows, and is not compatible with other hardware and operating systems. In general GDI printers are not compatible with hardware print servers, although some servers have built-in processing capability making them compatible with specified GDI printers. GDI printers can be made available to computers on a network if they are connected as shared printers on a computer which is on and running Windows.
    Ubuntu 16.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 14.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags - IRC #ubuntuforums

Member: Not Canonical Team

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
    You don't say what printer. It's not a GDI printer (winprinter) by any chance?
    <sigh> As I posted, the printer (Brother HL-2130 driver) is installed on a server on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. By implication and in reality it works fine there. SO we know the printer works on linux. As a share it can be accessed and used by non linux os's.

I also mentioned that I had spent significant time trying to sort the problem out. The web is littered with the error message posted by others who have hit the same brick wall, which is why I have given up on it for the moment.

In any case, I didn't post here for assistance. I have done that in more appropriate forums. I have posted here in the context of the topic and to point out yet another thing about Ubuntu and linux generally that drives me crazy: there is always another "gotcha"

CHeers
    Last edited by GuiGuy; June 9th, 2013 at 11:50 AM.
    The GuiGuy
    Free is only good when it works.

Beans

When uninstalling something in Ubuntu Software Centre only the programs are deleted and leaves behind orphaned packages and then the user has to delete them manually with Deborphan or Terminal. I know I can use Synaptic to conpletely remove a program and it's packages but for a noob like me it's hard to find a program when you don't know it's file name e.g. unity-tweak-tool or the Files (the file manager app that is install with Ubuntu).

I know I can just go into USC and find the file name by searching but this takes too long and I just want to have the option to un install something with 1 app instead of 3 or 4 apps. I am getting used to Ubuntu and all the apps and not a day goes by without learning something new.

They're about the only things I can think of at the moment that could do with improving. Of course I'll point out anything else I find when something annoys me lol.

By far out of all the Linux distros I've tried Ubuntu is the best. It feels as natural to me as Windows and maybe even more so and I like that it's a lot easier than Windows to apply themes and learning how the OS works is also easy. I've learned more about Ubuntu and Linux in past month or so than I ever have with any Version of Windows since actually owning my own pc. Ubuntu will definitely be the main OS that I'll use between now and whenever I decide I've have had enough of computers (which probably will never happen).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Click packages might do a little bit to alleviate this problem. It's a system being developed for the phone and tablet, but usable on the desktop, too, that uses a sort of OSX-type application folder method - like, each app is supposed to be dependency-free in some sense. It wouldn't apply to all new apps or any system components, but it might become a more common format for distributing Ubuntu end-user applications.
    I know I shouldn't use tildes for decoration, but they always make me feel at home~

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by localhost8080 View Post
    ...there are no decent email apps for any linux distro.
    Thunderbird works beautifully for me. You need to post a question in a support forum. Mozilla programs tend to work very well if you don't modify them, but it's possible to break them.

Page 295 of 355 FirstFirst ... 195245285293294295296297305345 ... LastLast