Page 286 of 355 FirstFirst ... 186236276284285286287288296336 ... LastLast
Results 2,851 to 2,860 of 3543

Thread: Things that you dislike in Ubuntu

Beans

Re: Things that you dislike in Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by peyre View Post
    Seems you've never tried to install something that isn't in the repository. You should try it sometime.
    What makes you say that? I HAVE compiled from the source before, and still do it today! In fact, I HATE GUI most of the time! It just seems to be that he would prefer to not use a "bloody terminal". Synaptic and Ubuntu Software Center can open files not in the repositories, if you decide to open up nautilus and select which program you want to open it with, then it does the rest!
    CrunchBang Linux
    Plz no tpe lik dis or no anser!!
    The search tool can be found in the upper right corner of your screen, please use it to your advantage, especially before asking questions.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Outside programs for linux have .deb files you can download and install using gdebi program and in fact now the ubuntu software center also installs as well...for example...i wanted google chrome, so i go to their website, download the deb and right click and open with ubuntu software center...it installs it...done!

I want libdvdcss2 from medibuntu? (for dvds) same deal and so on and so forth...no need to use the terminal for that at all!

Well, there are some rare times you might need to, i did have to use terminal commands to install a package from web8's website for oracle java...but that was an exception to the general rule, i would say...
    Last edited by craig10x; May 5th, 2013 at 03:21 PM.

Beans

Nothing in the help files to tell a new user how to get into terminal mode and I also haven't found anything in the forums either. I'm resgistered as a complete newbie. I would appreciate some real "help"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

No prob Chili.... <crtl><alt><t> and it pops up. It's all good!
    Warprunner
    This is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever.
    ...Sigmund Freud (about the Irish)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Or just start typing "terminal" in the "dash" search on top and it will come up that way too...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
    Ubuntu with Unity is slow? You must be using an ancient computer...13.04 is zippy as heck
    Er, no. The way to find out if something is slow is to run it on an older computer. Just use one of your old computers as test machine and you'll find out. This software just gets bigger and bigger and slower and slower, year after year. Yeah, Unity is slow, big, and resource-hungry.

It's still used for the same old stuff--managing files, starting programs, and a few other basic tasks. What happens is that a few years from now your computer won't run a supported OS, so you'll have to buy another computer and try to transfer everything to it and try to get it working something like what you had. Even if you succeed, at great cost in time, you're out some money. There may come a time, say after 30 years of retirement without a salary, when the money means something to you.

Another thing that's really weird is that they are trying to get this stuff running on smaller and smaller hardware -- like a small phone for example, that still has enough battery to get through the day. So they're running bigger and bigger software on smaller and more modest computers. It's nuts.

The third thing that happens is that at it gets bigger and more complex, it's harder and harder to maintain. This has a real corrosive effect if you're also trying to get software to work with all the useless changes. Right now, for example, I've got lots of broken software that used to work. The people who write it can't keep up. I've got OS's that used to work, but now lots of basic stuff is broken.

So, if you encourage software bloat, you pay, many times over.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by chilepepper View Post
    Nothing in the help files to tell a new user how to get into terminal mode and I also haven't found anything in the forums either. I'm resgistered as a complete newbie. I would appreciate some real "help"
    My guess is that you want to drop right to a terminal, not a shell in the GUI.
    Press CTRL + ALT + F#, and it can be F1-F4 (I think, correct me if I'm wrong on this). This is super helpful if you cannot get your system under control via the GUI, or you just do not feel like waiting on a GUI (I seem to have developed reflexes that allow me to recognize if I need to restart X, PulseAudio, etc. from the shell).
    Backups are amazing. 99% of data loss can be prevented by spending less than $100 on an external drive.
    If you have seen an error, there is a good chance someone else has, too. Google is your friend.

Beans

I hate the lack power managment and power profiling- like in windows, with 2 clicks i can go to low-power and brightness and pcie-wifi power managment to another.
    Also that to draw 6 hours of battery life i had to install bumblebee and then install tlp and tweak it manually, then go to the grub default boot line and modify that too. I hate the part where i can do almost a third more browsing in windows through the laptop battery since w8 is very power aware both in ie11 and the various apps-(1080p with 0,3% cpu utilization using the video app or for mkv the metro-samsung player preinstalled with the laptop ).

After a long time using linux i've come to the conclusion that it's very efficent in the 3>90% utilization, but sometimes it stumbles using more resources than windows to do stupid things. Also hate how much cpu compiz eats and the fact that there is no non-opengl unity... i really hate that. i like unity but it takes too much power to run it.. like 30 min difference between gnome-classic and unity.... And i saw that in both my laptop and in my desktop, where with unity they run a lot hotter than gnome classic.

Also, no webcam manual brightness and everything adjusted. And no way to force a new resolution for an external monitor unless you use a lenght of obscure CL commands.(had to make a script for thant in /bin and now i will use upstart sessions to run it each time i connect a monitor)

In raring i really miss the gwibber and everything else connected to it is working in a spotty way-

I also wish that you could actually click on notifications and open the program/cause instead to have to look and search to find it.

Third and last, it uses too much ram. Kubuntu runs in 300mb of ram... so do most kde distros. Ubuntu/unity people should learn from that.

loving a lot of things and as i said in another post, just give me star trek online, league of legends and battlefield and i will abbandon forever windows.
    Last edited by sireangelus; May 6th, 2013 at 01:10 PM.

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sireangelus View Post
    Third and last, it uses too much ram. Kubuntu runs in 300mb of ram... so do most kde distros. Ubuntu/unity people should learn from that.
    It is too much only if you don't have enough. LINUX is fast because it uses as much ram as available instead of dropping to swap. What is the point of having ram if you don't use it? Btw you can adjust when you want the system to drop to swap by configuring swappiness. http://askubuntu.com/questions/10391...ure-swappiness

I hate the lack power managment and power profiling- like in windows, with 2 clicks i can go to low-power and brightness and pcie-wifi power managment to another.
    http://handytutorial.com/cpu-frequen...u-12-04-12-10/

http://www.webupd8.org/2013/04/impro...y-life-in.html

Also that to draw 6 hours of battery life i had to install bumblebee and then install tlp and tweak it manually, then go to the grub default boot line and modify that too. I hate the part where i can do almost a third more browsing in windows through the laptop battery since w8 is very power aware both in ie11 and the various apps-(1080p with 0,3% cpu utilization using the video app or for mkv the metro-samsung player preinstalled with the laptop ).
    Well Nvidia refused to support Optimus for Linux in spite of a lot of pleadings, petitions and finally the middle finger and a "f- you" from Linus, so the Linux community has to find a solution on its own and that is Bumblebee. Instead of complaining that Nvidia laptops don't work as efficiently powerwise in Linux and that you have to install Bumblebee manually, I would be very thankful to the community that Bumblebee even exists and is freely available so that you can run Linux at all on an Optimus box. Bumblebee can't do vdpau hence your high cpu usage when watching videos.

(I think Nvidia has finally provided some alpha support for Optimus as of just a few months ago if you use certain drivers with the 3.9 kernel)

In Linux you can find solutions to almost any problem (e.g Bumblebee) if you look around, that's why open source is so empowering.The community is doing all the work and sharing it for free. As users we should be grateful instead of taking all that generosity for granted. If someone thinks it is too much to have to do some tweakings and install something manually, maybe he/she should stick to OSes that spoon feed users for a hefty fee and a lot of restrictions.
    Last edited by monkeybrain2012; May 6th, 2013 at 09:06 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain2012 View Post
    It is too much only if you don't have enough. LINUX is fast because it uses as much ram as available instead of dropping to swap. What is the point of having ram if you don't use it? Btw you can adjust when you want the system to drop to swap by configuring swappiness.
    lol... this is the same concept that Vista used... now it's a linux excuse???? linux has always been fast because it was LEAN and used LESS ram than windows. now we have this situation where you launch windows 8 and it says that less than 555mb of ram is used right after startup. and it returns there even after a long 4 day sessions,while ubuntu says around 450 at start and then it goes to 650mb-700 when you've closed all the programs.Plus you are getting confused between the use of cache and the use of ram by the DE simply idling.and you seem to not know how a computer works at all, and why and for what swap is used.

Another thing is that i was using a VM with 4gb of ram assigned and the remaing 4gb for the host... the computer(ubuntu raring) started loading from the hd and trashing around like i've never seen even windows in his worst day and my pc was unusable with only a few tabs open on chromium, thunderbird transmission and empathy.. had to FORCE CLOSE the VM.
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain2012 View Post

Well Nvidia refused to support Optimus for Linux in spite of a lot of pleadings, petitions and finally the middle finger and a "f- you" from Linus, so the Linux community has to find a solution on its own and that is Bumblebee. Instead of complaining that Nvidia laptops don't work as efficiently powerwise in Linux and that you have to install Bumblebee manually, I would be very thankful to the community that Bumblebee even exists and is freely available so that you can run Linux at all on an Optimus box. Bumblebee can't do vdpau hence your high cpu usage when watching videos.

(I think Nvidia has finally provided some alpha support for Optimus as of just a few months ago if you use certain drivers with the 3.9 kernel)

In Linux you can find solutions to almost any problem (e.g Bumblebee) if you look around, that's why open source is so empowering.The community is doing all the work and sharing it for free. As users we should be grateful instead of taking all that generosity for granted. If someone thinks it is too much to have to do some tweakings and install something manually, maybe he/she should stick to OSes that spoon feed users for a hefty fee and a lot of restrictions.
    I should be able to use VA-API and use the integrated Intel card like windows does. and even when i do that in linux the resulting cpu usage is higher.
    And sabayon provides bumblebee support out-of-the-box so that at least the gpu card is OFF even if you don't know what bumblebee is or how to use it.

I'm a very long linux user(red hat linux 6.0, 1996) and in this time frame i've gone and used linux even for years without ever booting the windows partition up for various personal reasons, so i know what i'm talking about. This is a thread to talk about what we dislike/hate... not to find excuses to them, but to see that maybe they will read them and fix them.

Also you seem ignorant of how the power managment on windows works
    On windows you have a GUI, INSTALLED BY DEFAULT, with Profiles like power saving, balanced, high performance, that you can change with literally 2 clicks. These settings have separate settings for Battery and On-Plug for each of the profiles, and are fine tuned, even IE10 cpu usage, video card power profile, wireless power profile, brightness is different on battery and plugged and on each profile.
    In Ubuntu i have to: install at least 3 PPA(most users would stop here) : cpufreq-indicator, bumblebee, tlb. then i have to go and find where the config file for tlb is and manually change the default config to enable more power savings. Last but not least, if i wanted some sort of profiles for the whole pc, i have to resort to a script in /bin that will change frequencies allowed and such swapping in and out the tlb file config and restarting the service. And stil i don't have the same functionality as windows, even if doing all this in linux yelds to better maximum power saving and so better battery life.
    Last edited by sireangelus; May 7th, 2013 at 03:49 AM.

Page 286 of 355 FirstFirst ... 186236276284285286287288296336 ... LastLast