Page 285 of 355 FirstFirst ... 185235275283284285286287295335 ... LastLast
Results 2,841 to 2,850 of 3546

Thread: Things that you dislike in Ubuntu

Beans

Re: Things that you dislike in Ubuntu

No reliable WinXP/7 simulation for that key appliation that would allow me to abandon MS across all my systems. WINE is hopeless. Seems to me this is the key to market share. Doesn't need the latest and greatest capability, enabling older obsolete XP versions of win executables would suffice, since the Linux platform is inherently more secure. I need an AV stream capture utility w/ scheduling, segmenting, auto retry recovery and retagging etc. If I had a million dollars I would form a team to develope it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by rojik View Post
    No reliable WinXP/7 simulation for that key appliation that would allow me to abandon MS across all my systems. WINE is hopeless. Seems to me this is the key to market share. Doesn't need the latest and greatest capability, enabling older obsolete XP versions of win executables would suffice, since the Linux platform is inherently more secure. I need an AV stream capture utility w/ scheduling, segmenting, auto retry recovery and retagging etc. If I had a million dollars I would form a team to develope it.
    Isn't it amazing what virtual machines can do? You can even boot a partition in a VM and not have to worry about dual-booting for some applications.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Kuzhively View Post
    Let me tell you something, Linux is gaining popularity, Windows is losing it, Mac is too expensive, Windows Users turn to Linux ---- They discover the terminal and assume that it is just like CMD so they don't pay much attention to it. People with low end graphics cards can't run Unity, ex:- me. They believe that Ubuntu is slow when the truth is --- Unity is slow. Absolute beginners don't even know there is such a thing called Desktop Environment unless they decide to dig. They believe that Ubuntu is slow and leave it, running to some other Linux Distro. End of the Story ---- a sad Story.
    Assuming they have a normal sized brain, they should come and ask if they need to do anything like driver installations/updates, cleaning the registry (because if they are beginners they probably do not know that the registry is Windows exclusive bloat/crapware), etc. before assuming the "logical" conclusion that it is Ubuntu that sucks rather than their ancient machine that can boot a fresh install of Windows XP in about 5 minutes. People love scapegoats, but chances are, if they are willing to try Linux, they will be willing to at least attempt to diagnose. But, that's just my two cents from living in an area where people are more likely to actually say "yes, I did acquire this virus from pr0n sites" than "YOU CLICKED THE MOUSE ON THIS MACHINE 5 YEARS AGO THEREFORE YOU INSTALLED VIRUSES THAT MADE IT SO SLOW AND MADE ME UNPRODUCTIVE AND [insert more blatant lies here] TODAY WHICH OBVIOUSLY DID NOT COME FROM ALL THE FREE TOOLBARS AND MUSIC I HAVE BEEN DOWNLOADING FROM SHADY SITES!"
    Backups are amazing. 99% of data loss can be prevented by spending less than $100 on an external drive.
    If you have seen an error, there is a good chance someone else has, too. Google is your friend.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Ubun2to View Post
    1. Install Gentoo.
    2. Ubuntu is made to be user friendly, not power-user friendly. Besides, you can always make your own distro if you are into that kind of thing.
    3. Additional drivers are optional and the stable ones are marked stable. And the # system for NVidia's driver releases should be obvious enough, if not, please go back to the 1st grade.
    4. SHUT UP ABOUT UNITY ALREADY! I'm sick and tired of people like you complaining about it. Half the people who hate on it have never used Unity, much less Ubuntu. Just install a spinoff distro such as Kubuntu or Gnome-remix if you are too lazy to install another desktop environment. And if you are too lazy to do that, you have no right to complain about it here when it would probably be less effort to open a terminal type "sudo apt-get install gnome," enter your password, and possibly press Y than complain about it on an online forum when you consider how many keys you have to press!
    5. Unsettings is your friend. MyUnity used to be my favorite application for this task, but development seems to have stopped on it.
    6. Ubuntu is made to be user friendly, which does not mean selecting things such as what window manager you want to use.
    7. One of the great things about Ubuntu (along with many other distros) is that lots of software comes pre-installed, so using live disks are much easier (not many packages to install just to be able to do anything), and it takes less time to get your new install up and running. By this logic, Linux Mint should be an absolute atrocity for including way more preinstalled applications than Ubuntu (even Flash and Java, the horror!). If you want a basic desktop, you should get Debian Stable and never use a GUI.
    Edit: I accidentally a word.
    First off, these are the things that I dislike about UBUNTU, not about Linux. Second, I have tried Gentoo, and did not like it, tried Arch, and I liked it. Debian Stable is horrible. It sits on the same kernel for years, not allowing for new hardware. I indeed know how to install new DE's and WM's, in fact, I posted how to do it, and someone said it was far too complicated! Ubuntu uses Unity as default. Xubuntu uses XFCE. Lubuntu uses LXDE. But the subject is UBUNTU! Therefore meaning that the DE is Unity.

Oh, and by the way, I was not complaining about Unity, rather pointing out it's issues for me. Plus, isn't the title of this thread, "Things that you dislike in Ubuntu"?
    Last edited by codingman; May 4th, 2013 at 02:23 AM.
    CrunchBang Linux
    Plz no tpe lik dis or no anser!!
    The search tool can be found in the upper right corner of your screen, please use it to your advantage, especially before asking questions.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Ubun2to View Post
    But, that's just my two cents from living in an area where people are more likely to actually say "yes, I did acquire this virus from pr0n sites" than "YOU CLICKED THE MOUSE ON THIS MACHINE 5 YEARS AGO THEREFORE YOU INSTALLED VIRUSES THAT MADE IT SO SLOW AND MADE ME UNPRODUCTIVE AND [insert more blatant lies here] TODAY WHICH OBVIOUSLY DID NOT COME FROM ALL THE FREE TOOLBARS AND MUSIC I HAVE BEEN DOWNLOADING FROM SHADY SITES!"
    Or my favorite:
    "What did you do before this happened?"
    "Nothing!"
    "Then explain how this could have happened?"

Beans

i hate that i have to go hunting around for hours on end to find out how to install simple everyday applications like java quick start and acrobat reader and wine and be able to read nokia C5 files and then it still doesn't work
    i hate that i have to use a bl**dy terminal to install software
    i hate that it wont let me just use my computer as a tool but have to become a geek

Beans

^ Dude, have you ever heard of, Ubuntu Software Center? Or... Synaptic? You don't have to use a terminal to install stuff, and if you use the *Search_Tool* then you can find packages quite quickly.
    CrunchBang Linux
    Plz no tpe lik dis or no anser!!
    The search tool can be found in the upper right corner of your screen, please use it to your advantage, especially before asking questions.

Beans

I hate that ubuntu wont do the dishes... but windows wouldnt either.. going to see if my pug will do the dishes.. turns out he will no problem very very clean but did need a final rinse

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by codingman View Post
    ^ Dude, have you ever heard of, Ubuntu Software Center? Or... Synaptic? You don't have to use a terminal to install stuff, and if you use the *Search_Tool* then you can find packages quite quickly.
    Seems you've never tried to install something that isn't in the repository. You should try it sometime.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by djhbrown View Post
    i hate that i have to go hunting around for hours on end to find out how to install simple everyday applications like java quick start and acrobat reader and wine and be able to read nokia C5 files and then it still doesn't work
    i hate that it wont let me just use my computer as a tool but have to become a geek
    I don't mind using the terminal. I just hate that a solution that worked in one version doesn't work in the next, and I have to go searching and digging all over again to find another solution. Generally in Windows, one set of instructions will solve your problem indefinitely; in Ubuntu (or any Linux distro), you're lucky if those instructions will work from one version to the next. And then they might work in the version after (and sometimes really do), so you don't dare get rid of the solutions you keep saved on the side.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by djhbrown View Post
    I couldn't get java to update on win 7. I gave up.
    I hated there wasn't a linux like terminal in windows. Btw, you don't need a terminal to install software anymore.
    That's all I do is use my computer as a tool, no geekiness needed. See? Goes both ways. I'm not really anti-windows, I just prefer linux. Now back on topic.

I dislike....guess I can't think of anything right now.

Page 285 of 355 FirstFirst ... 185235275283284285286287295335 ... LastLast