Results 2,761 to 2,770 of 3510

Thread: Things that you dislike in Ubuntu

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Things that you dislike in Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by techfried View Post
    I just can't stand the stupid icon size and the font sizes. Why are they so ridiculously huge?
    In 13.04, you can use ccsm to set the icon size to whatever you want. I have mine set to 28px.

Beans

I haven't used linux since Fedora and then I only used server installations running databases consequently I can't compare desktops. But there are several things I dislike about ubuntu. At the top of the list is the linux communities eagerness to put out a new version before the last version actually works. I didn't install the most recent version of ubuntu but opted for 12.4 hoping for a more stable version. As a retired Windows programmer I would consider 12.4 a beta version. It has more bugs than any prudent person would tolerate in a normal day to day working environment whether that be home or office. And don't even ask me about support for legacy equipment. As much as I hate Microsoft I would still buy Windows instead of using free ubuntu if I needed a dependable OS.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by james929 View Post
    I haven't used linux since Fedora and then I only used server installations running databases consequently I can't compare desktops. But there are several things I dislike about ubuntu. At the top of the list is the linux communities eagerness to put out a new version before the last version actually works. I didn't install the most recent version of ubuntu but opted for 12.4 hoping for a more stable version. As a retired Windows programmer I would consider 12.4 a beta version. It has more bugs than any prudent person would tolerate in a normal day to day working environment whether that be home or office. And don't even ask me about support for legacy equipment. As much as I hate Microsoft I would still buy Windows instead of using free ubuntu if I needed a dependable OS.
    Are you reporting the bugs you are running into?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I agree with james929 very much in regards to prioritizing features over bugs. my 12.04 is not unusable but by far not as stable as earlier LTS releases.

As for bugs: all the ones I have are in launchpad and the discussion either goes one for pages whether it's this or that package without anybody who could actually doing anything or they are outright marked as "will not fix", as is the random kernel freeze lp# 993187.

It appears to me as if support and focus on stability went out the door in favor of shopping lenses ......
    Lutz

Beans

Redshift is not installed and configured by default installation...
    I LOVE this program

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    In 13.04, you can use ccsm to set the icon size to whatever you want. I have mine set to 28px.
    Can you believe someone actually proposed to remove ccsm from the repository, and someone even paid attention?

marginally related rant:

What is the priority of Ayatana design?

It's good that some of the old bugs were fixed; and I can't argue against dropping purely decorative plugins from the default installation, but now anything and everything that isn't unity is getting buried under the mound of unity bugs and feature requests.

Canonical is killing compiz one feature at a time, and I am saddened and angered to watch it happen. Had I the programming skill to fork it and start my own project, I very well would have last year. I wish that kind of thing weren't necessary.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thumbs down Re: Things that you dislike in Ubuntu

i HATE the latest DE (12.04) - it stinks!
    why on earth there isn't an option during the installation to use a less flashy DE as the default, i will never understand.
    mind you, i have never understood why anyone even needs a flashy DE.
    the computer equivalent to TOWIE imo.
    Ubuntu 12.04 x64 Kernel 3.2.0-30-gen GCC 4:4.6.3-1; AMD PHENOM2 X4 945 sAM3 95W; GByte GA-MA785GMTUD2H AMD785G SB710; Corsair TwinX 4GB DDR3 1333; 2x1.5TB Ssung HD154UI SATA; XCLIO 3060+; 500W STORM PSU
    Linux user 519546 Id 424242 Ubuntu user 31963

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

+1
    a DE option or list of options to be installed would be great (of course the answer to the question why it's not there is "42" ).

I have only upgraded from 10.04 directly to 12.04 and Unity got installed. No surprise there.
    Now, with 12.04, I uninstalled unity. Does anybody now what will happen if I upgrade to say 13.04? Will it plaster over my setup and re-install Unity?
    Lutz

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by landersohn View Post
    ... with 12.04, I uninstalled unity.
    do i understand you right?
    you upgraded to 12.04 & got stuck with unity.
    then ...
    presumably, while you were running unity ...
    you uninstalled unity - i.e. your running DE.
    really?
    you "removed" your running DE ????
    so what happened?
    my hope is that you say that you simply rebooted, or a reboot was forced, and xfce was offered ...
    i live in hope
    Ubuntu 12.04 x64 Kernel 3.2.0-30-gen GCC 4:4.6.3-1; AMD PHENOM2 X4 945 sAM3 95W; GByte GA-MA785GMTUD2H AMD785G SB710; Corsair TwinX 4GB DDR3 1333; 2x1.5TB Ssung HD154UI SATA; XCLIO 3060+; 500W STORM PSU
    Linux user 519546 Id 424242 Ubuntu user 31963

Beans

Honestly, there isn't to much that I really dislike in Ubuntu. But I do have to mention Unity... I hate it so much that it's the first thing that I change upon install.

Page 277 of 351 FirstFirst ... 177227267275276277278279287327 ... LastLast