Page 270 of 356 FirstFirst ... 170220260268269270271272280320 ... LastLast
Results 2,691 to 2,700 of 3553

Thread: Things that you dislike in Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Things that you dislike in Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by welshmike View Post
    Firefox sometimes freezes and the window brightness decreases.
    Libreoffice calc icon in the launcher is sometimes plain white and then when clicked on does not bring forward the spreadsheet.
    Can only speak on Unity issues, I only tried Cinnamon for a few days before deciding Unity was better.
    When a window dims, it means the application has frozen.
    Sounds like a LibreOffice bug.

Quote Originally Posted by UbuNewbie123 View Post
    What I hate about Ubuntu...

1. Sometimes, the installation can be a pain in the ***. I have Windows 7 as my main OS. Initially, I tried using Wubi but the installation somehow did not work for 12.10. So I did a manual install.

After installation, it would not boot. I had to create the Boot-Repair boot disc to repair the grub2 boot loader before it could work!

2. The display drivers are not installed during the installation. For both of my computers, I had to install them manually. Dual monitor support is still a bit buggy on 12.10 for my desktop background... Do not know why my background is cut off on the left when only one screen is enabled.

3. Can't move Unity bar to the bottom! WTF is wrong with that? I installed Cinnamon instead.

4. Can't create desktop shortcuts easily. Somehow, my Cinnamon and Ubuntu 12.10 is a bit buggy. The desktop icons do not show. After editing some value in the system, it shows up for a while and goes missing again. Not sure how to put the Computer and my disk drive shortcuts to the desktop.

5. My SoundBlaster X-Fi does not work with Ubuntu. No support for this driver. Not really sure how to get it to work.

Overall... I find the whole Ubuntu experience a bit of a hit and miss. Every upgrade moves 2 steps forward and 1 step backwards.

It is because I am an IT professional that I even bother with it. I want to learn to use a Linux OS and get comfortable with it. I can't see noobs trying to install and use Ubuntu at all.
    1. Wubi is meant for trying Ubuntu out. Install via LiveCD if you want an installation with storage space above 32 GB.
    Wubi is a virtual disk inside your Windows installation, so it has some bugs exclusive to Wubi installs.

2. Go to Software Sources and click on Additional Drivers.
    If your card is an AMD or ATI, that explains why you are having trouble with dual monitors. On 12.04, I had to install their fglrx package, and then dual monitors worked after I configured it properly. But, on 12.10, it failed completely on a clean install.
    So, I decided I was done with AMD and bought an NVidia card. I rebooted and my dual monitors were working from the start-no need for configuration (but I installed the proprietary NVidia drivers just because they should work better by default, as the manufacturer usually knows their own devices better than the open source people).

3. Unity is fixed on the left side. If I remember correctly, you could change it with MyUnity, but it is not available yet for 12.10, so I'm not sure. But, on the side, it gives you more screen space than on the top/bottom.

4. Can't speak on this-I don't use Cinnamon.

5. Is it standard input? (As in the circle-like holes on the back of the machine.) Or does it use USB? If it uses USB, that means it is most likely proprietary, and the manufacturer may not provide Linux support.
    Last edited by Ubun2to; November 4th, 2012 at 01:00 PM.
    Backups are amazing. 99% of data loss can be prevented by spending less than $100 on an external drive.
    If you have seen an error, there is a good chance someone else has, too. Google is your friend.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain2012 View Post
    What graphic card do you use?
    Intel GMA HD
    ASUS ZenBook UX305 (Intel® Core™ M-5Y10c ) CPU @ 0.80GHz × 4, 8GiB RAM, 128GiB SSD, Ubuntu 16.04 & W10.
    MSi CR620 (Novatech i3 Core i3-350M) 2.27GHz 2GiB RAM, 250GiB SSD, Ubuntu 16.04.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

1. I cannot change the size of Launcher icons because I'm in Unity 2D.
    2. There is no calendar that integrates with the panel calendar (Evolution perhaps, but it should work like with music player - set default, integration).
    3. Mostly some minor appearance issues (why no default tool for customization, icon changes etc).
    4. It never displays graphic card correctly in System Settings, it's always "unknown" even though terminal output gives correct info.
    5. When I plug in an USB drive, it shows it's icon in Dash, but it opens it in my home folder Dash thingy. When I try to open the home folder with it afterwards, it blinks as if it were already open.
    6. Enabled guest account, don't know how to remove it.
    7. Gnome keyring, know how to disable it, but it's existence annoys me because it enables itself on a clean install if you don't choose password log-in.

Mostly minor annoyances that have no effect on my work but still

Beans

Installed 12.04 just recently after completely removing Windows 7.
    Works like a charm. It is pretty fast even on laptops with ancient specs.
    Having the time of my life...

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

At the moment everything. Unity is really ugly,Canonical doesn't give a damn about Kubuntu and it's developement now,because a few releases back it used to be the bomb. Having a mainstream desktop isn't going to help you.
    I killed hope,but you buried it....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I dislike unity for a physical desktop setup. Desktop meaning I have a tower with my computer components inside and two monitors plugged into it sitting on top of a desk.

One simple reason (though there are more) is that if a window is not mazimized there are minimize-mazimize-close buttons in the upper right, but if it is maximized you have to mouse over the upper left to see those buttons.

1) The location should be consistent.
    2) this causes a problem if you have a window maximized on a second display, but a different window active on your main display. There is no way to close it with one click. If it is not the active window, mousing over will not display the close button. You must first make it active and then mouse over. fail.

Also, i have found no way to include a CPU monitoring applet that will display on the top bar of the desktop.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

If you are seeing minimize-mazimize-close buttons in the upper right, something is broken on your installation.

For hardware monitoring, try psensors, it's in the repositories.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    If you are seeing minimize-mazimize-close buttons in the upper right, something is broken on your installation.
    No, I think I was able to find a setting to give menu bars those buttons in system settings or compiz or something. I can look harder to find it again if anyone is interested but I cant remember where.

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    For hardware monitoring, try psensors, it's in the repositories.
    Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a shot.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by sunfromhere View Post
    7. Gnome keyring, know how to disable it, but it's existence annoys me because it enables itself on a clean install if you don't choose password log-in.

Mostly minor annoyances that have no effect on my work but still
    Some applications (ie Gwibber, Empathy, and Thunderbird) store login data in the keyring. So, there is a reason it remains on by default.
    Backups are amazing. 99% of data loss can be prevented by spending less than $100 on an external drive.
    If you have seen an error, there is a good chance someone else has, too. Google is your friend.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Things that you hate in Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by meehana View Post
    I can't access netflix

This link actually works for me. There are a couple of annoyances with it, however, it is decent enough to get netflix working. Hopefully it will work for you.

http://www.webupd8.org/2012/11/how-t...u-through.html
    "- Courage! It couldn't come at a worse time." | Favorite Hockey Player: #8 Cam Neely! |
    Read my Poetry at
    www.poemscribe.com |

Page 270 of 356 FirstFirst ... 170220260268269270271272280320 ... LastLast