Ubuntu software centre... always removing and installing synaptic

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Things that you hate in Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Linias View Post
    Ubuntu software centre... always removing and installing synaptic
    There a really simple way to solve that problem, don't use the software centre. ;-D

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by demonboy View Post
    Ubuntu is not for people not prepared to spend a lot of time learning technical aspects of running an operating system. It is still an OS for geeks, not average end-users. What I hate is that some developers, supporters and forum users seem to forget this fact and have no sympathy for users like my wife who have given up with Ubuntu because she spends so long trying to sort out very basic issues like no out-the-box support for her graphics card.
    I so agree with that. My partner in the end insisted that I get rid of Ubuntu and put Win7 on her PC, despite my protestations.

Finally, I hate Ubuntu-fanboys who can't accept that Ubuntu is not perfect for some people.
    It's probably the main reason it will remain a wannabe. (The fanboys, I mean)

BTW, I changed to Linux Mint some time ago. There's not much to dislike anymore, IMO. Maybe the Ubuntu crew ought to pay attention...
    Last edited by GuiGuy; August 26th, 2012 at 02:37 AM.
    The GuiGuy
    Free is only good when it works.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

ENDLESS cycles of low-level work. I have to boot from the alternate install CD and rebuild my video driver manually almost every time a minor kernel revision comes through on Ubuntu 11.10. I've fixed the same, subtle NIC driver problem over and over again.

Admittedly, I push the envelope a bit with my NVidia 460 graphics card, my RAID1 storage, and my need for the 64-bit version of the OS (which runs GROMACS significantly faster). Also, it appears that the NIC on my motherboard is a particularly quirky one. Also, these problems are pretty recent developments for me. I've been with Ubuntu since 6.06, with simpler hardware configurations, and I had few problems. Even 11.10 gives me no serious trouble on my seven year-old laptop.

But on my desktop machines... sigh. I tried installing 12.04 on my desktop device a few months ago, and the system hanged DURING the installation, so that's not a solution for me. Perhaps 12.04.1 will solve that problem, I'm not sure yet.

I'm here on Ubuntu Forums today because my desktop system crashed AGAIN after a kernel upgrade... and this time, recompiling the video driver did not solve the problem.

Edit: one last thing I hate about Ubuntu: the fact that the nomodeset boot option is not the DEFAULT. Just today, once again, I thought that I couldn't even boot Ubuntu 11.10 from the CD! No, I just have to remember to pop out to the boot options menu that that cryptic logo is SUPPOSED to remind you to visit... and then, you have to remember to select nomodeset if you needed it to get your system to boot the last time...
    Last edited by ladasky; September 8th, 2012 at 07:59 PM. Reason: Nomodeset

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sharks View Post
    What are the things that u hate in Ubuntu?

this strange new desktop. i am missing the scroll bar!!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by CmdGabriel View Post
    this strange new desktop. i am missing the scroll bar!!!!

If you mean Unity; there is an option to turn off overlay scrollbars.

http://www.webupd8.org/2012/03/unset...obal-menu.html

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by neodirtchief View Post
    I would have to say Unity, Gnome 3, and feeling like more work going into doing simple tasks of which disappear and then trying to remember what I was doing with them when I do find them again. Not trying to dis anything, it's just those features aren't for me. Still using Ubuntu but with a different DE.
    exactly the same here (12.04).
    yes, i do want all the "full-powered" apps that come with ubuntu but i certainly do not want the DE - give me functionality NOT flash!
    surely it's not asking a lot for the install process to offer:

do you want to waste a lot of the machine resources that you've
    paid for or would you rather simply have something that works?

i know which i would choose!
    Ubuntu 12.04 x64 Kernel 3.2.0-30-gen GCC 4:4.6.3-1; AMD PHENOM2 X4 945 sAM3 95W; GByte GA-MA785GMTUD2H AMD785G SB710; Corsair TwinX 4GB DDR3 1333; 2x1.5TB Ssung HD154UI SATA; XCLIO 3060+; 500W STORM PSU
    Linux user 519546 Id 424242 Ubuntu user 31963

Beans

Talking Re: Things that you hate in Ubuntu

Nothing really, except that people gawk whenever they see your computer screen, especially in the terminal.
    CrunchBang Linux
    Plz no tpe lik dis or no anser!!
    The search tool can be found in the upper right corner of your screen, please use it to your advantage, especially before asking questions.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Well, I have to say Unity. Or actually, the fact that 12.04 is a lot less customizable than before. I just hate that they got rid of all that. Yes, I know there are alternative options, but that's not the idea.
    "Each choice we take creates a new reality. It's another path. The road not taken." Dr. Walter Bishop

Beans

Lack of any aciveX alternative.

I have a surveillance camera that uses active X so I can remotely view it online.

I've heard all the security excuses and the proprietary excuses, but I mean really, there has to be some alternative to simply viewing a fricking picture on the internet without the activeX.

Page 262 of 355 FirstFirst ... 162212252260261262263264272312 ... LastLast