Page 249 of 357 FirstFirst ... 149199239247248249250251259299349 ... LastLast
Results 2,481 to 2,490 of 3563

Thread: Things that you dislike in Ubuntu

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Things that you hate in Ubuntu

I add: the fact USB unmounting is bugged. See for example Launchpad Bug #466575: Secure remove of external USB-HDD produces error

Beans

I'm not keen on all the default orange, but there are work-arounds

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I like everything....

The only thing I miss is that libreoffice is not that cam pact-able with m$ office specially calc formulas

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

You have to press Ctrl - Space everytime to activate the input method.
    Can't I have it activated at runtime???

Beans

Smile Re: Things that you hate in Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Ravi5kumar View Post
    I hate unity and the Gnome 3 desktop!! Long live gnome 2!! Also I hate Linux mint!
    Don't have to use Unity or GNOME 3. Download and install Kubuntu, Lubuntu, or Xubuntu, or do a minimal install and install your own desktop environment or window manager.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Copper Bezel View Post
    I don't have any real problems with suspend and resume on my machine, but it's a major trouble spot for bugs, along with graphics cards and WiFi chips. Your problem can probably be solved, but there are doubtless some machines for which there aren't fixes.

That's separate from issues with the power manager's intended behaviors and features. (Which are not really a strength of the Gnome desktop.)
    Any idea how I could go about finding a solution? It would be very handy now and then if I could close the lid on my laptop.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by chenliyong View Post
    I am a new user of ubuntu and linux, and what I "hate" about ubuntu is that it's not like what people advertised.

It takes so hard to do simple things in linux, even in ubuntu, like installing application, getting wireless running, and listening music. And almost every problems has to resort to command line hacks at some point, with "alien" language that's a little bit "frightening". I just don't really know, how the people can have an ubuntu that "configured just the way I like". But, after all, I can't work with an OS that I have to hardly configured first before I can use it properly for daily task. I spent time 5 times more on fixing drivers problem or installing some programs, than writing some useful proposal or creating some presentation for work.

but I still want to give ubuntu a chance. I'm curious, and I want to see and experience, how long does it takes, before ubuntu becomes "configured just the way I like", like what people all over the internet boasts.
    Some of what you describe sounds like just getting used to different applications to do what you've always done in Windows--and getting used to the extra options available (e.g., instead of Win Media Player you have Banshee, Rhythmbox, Parole, etc.). That's an adjustment that would come with switching to any new operating system--if you bought a Mac, for instance (though with a Mac you wouldn't be faced with such a confusing range of options).

I can commiserate with you on some things here though. I sometimes grumble to myself that "Everything's harder to do in Linux", but I have to remind myself that some things are actually easier. Installing software can actually be easier than in Windows, for instance. It sounds like you've been installing from source, and that certainly is doing it the hard way. If what you want is in the Ubuntu Software Center, you can just select it and tell it to install, then wait while Ubuntu installs it for you automatically. I'd say maybe a third of things are easier in Linux, and two-thirds are harder. I do have to pay more attention when I'm doing something new or tricky in Linux.

I think the need to dink around at the command line has several causes. One is that Linux has always been centered around the needs of programmers, who are at home with a command line. Also it's partly because Linux is much more of a DIY (do-it-yourself) environment. And third, because it's a small minority of the install base, it doesn't get nearly the driver support from manufacturers that Windows does. Since the manufacturers don't always write Linux drivers, the Linux community has to create its own drivers and workarounds to get it working--and home-grown solutions are usually less polished than something done by the manufacturer.
    Last edited by peyre; April 9th, 2012 at 05:10 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Just Google the model of your laptop and the word "suspend" or "resume" along with your Ubuntu version. You'll undoubtedly bring up bug reports or troubleshooting threads to find out whether or not the the problem is easily solved.

Quote Originally Posted by chenliyong
    I just don't really know, how the people can have an ubuntu that "configured just the way I like".
    Wireless on most systems works out of the box, but not all. You certainly shouldn't have to use the terminal to install software. I don't know how new folks always end up there.

I'd say that it's just like Windows in that you learn tricks with time, but I've seen how most people manage their Windows machines.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Copper Bezel View Post
    Just Google the model of your laptop and the word "suspend" or "resume" along with your Ubuntu version. You'll undoubtedly bring up bug reports or troubleshooting threads to find out whether or not the the problem is easily solved.
    Ah, of course, should've thought of that.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by TeamRocket1233c View Post
    Don't have to use Unity or GNOME 3. Download and install Kubuntu, Lubuntu, or Xubuntu, or do a minimal install and install your own desktop environment or window manager.
    But Canonical doesn't offer a financial support to their developers, on the contrary if Ubuntu.

Page 249 of 357 FirstFirst ... 149199239247248249250251259299349 ... LastLast