Page 237 of 352 FirstFirst ... 137187227235236237238239247287337 ... LastLast
Results 2,361 to 2,370 of 3519

Thread: Things that you dislike in Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Things that you hate in Ubuntu

Click the big orange button to download the latest version of Ubuntu. You will need to create a CD or USB stick to install Ubuntu.

Our long-term support (LTS) releases are supported for three years on the desktop. Perfect for organisations that need more stability for larger deployments.
    I... idk man its right there

Also, I'd agree that ubuntu is more user-friendly.
    Last edited by |{urse; January 20th, 2012 at 04:56 AM.
    clear && echo paste url and press enter; read paste; (youtube-dl $paste) | zenity --progress --title="" --text "Downloading, please wait" --auto-close --pulsate && ans=$(zenity --file-selection); gnome-terminal -x mplayer "$ans"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by |{urse View Post
    I... idk man its right there

Also, I'd agree that ubuntu is more user-friendly.
    whats your point?
    what noob would think downloading a distro described as
    "Perfect for organizations"
    is the best choice for personal use?
    It's Nice How Free From the Restraints of Reality you are...

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Garthhh View Post
    whats your point?
    what noob would think downloading a distro described as
    "Perfect for organizations"
    is the best choice for personal use?
    I don't think most people see that. I think most people get Ubuntu recommended to them, they go and download it without doing a bunch of extra reading on the Web page (I probably wouldn't either), and then when they install it they find it's not what they expected. A surprising amount of what you're just used to in Windows simply isn't there, or works very differently, in Linux. That's not Linux's fault; it's because Windows is so standardized--but it's enough to land some folks in confusion & frustrationville. I remember being similarly taken aback when I first tried Red Hat 6.2 & 7 back in the day, but I came back around eventually. ('Course, it took Ubuntu, and Vista as its alternative at the time, to push me to do it.)

Beans

I hate that they miss out on obvious stuff. As an example, I go to reply to this thread by hitting "post reply" at the bottom of the page, then it tells that i have to click a different button. to activate quick reply. Its just sloppy and un-intuitive. Remove the damn link if it doesn't work.

Maybe Canonical has a 3rd party running this website, idk, but I think its pretty much exemplary of what I've come to expect from the company that tries to brand itself as being for people. So just getting to my main complaint, is that everything can be a hassle in linux. Everything is more difficult.

A lot of times thats the programmers fault or the hardware manufacturers fault. Other times not. XP is a fraction of the hassle for everyday non-server use. I ran Ubuntu for a year as my primary OS, and it just sucks up the time trying to find fixes and workarounds for every little thing.

Beans

I just want to keep rambling

I wanted to use ubuntu to root my kindle fire, but I read that installing ADB is more difficult than in windows. And I looked at the instructions on what you had to do, and they were long. What a surprise!

Didn't even read the instructions, dont even care what they are. There's at least 10 more steps involved if I use Ubuntu. that's all I need to know.

Oh and there's one last thing that REALLY bothers me about Ubuntu...and actually Linux to a larger extent. It's that so many people who use linux are kool aid drinkers just like Apple users. I like the linux flavor of koolaid better than apples flavor of koolaid and I dont mind taking a sip now and then. And yeah, linux users have more to talk about than what new product is coming out in december, but unless your using it for a server or unless your good at scripting, its a waste, and pretending like its worth the hassle to take advantage of the flexibility linux offers is just a trap into fanboyism.
    Last edited by Ashtray2; January 21st, 2012 at 11:54 AM.

Beans

Still Rambling....

ECLIPSE IDE? Seriously? This is the best IDE you can really offer for web development? So the only way a web developer would want to use ubuntu is if there's a VM of windows installed so he can access dreamweaver. Oh ya, and Aptana (or whatever its called) is an even bigger POS.

I say developer, because a web designer needs photoshop which is not a good app to run virtually (quite probably illustrator too). Which brings me to another thing I hate about Ubuntu. Gimp. Its so annoying hearing everyone say how Gimp is just as good as photoshop. The only thing these people know about Photoshop apparently is crop & rotate. Hey, windows picture viewer can do everything Photoshop does too. Whoppee!
    Last edited by Ashtray2; January 21st, 2012 at 12:09 PM.

Beans

Brasero and shotwell. Like K3B much better and worry Ubuntu might go out of business.
    God Bless Johnny3 65+++

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

No hates here

If I were to recommend anything it would be a real "noob" friendly resource of some kind - the utter basics in a non complicated fashion for the non tech savvy. However I think the Forums do a pretty good job here.

Currently working on a few guides to help such new users with the upcoming 12.04 that I plan to add to my signature on final release

[ P.S. If the launcher must be locked... please right or bottom, basically not the saem side as the back button and window control buttons ]
    Last edited by Double.J; January 21st, 2012 at 06:29 PM.

Beans

Re: Still Rambling....

Quote Originally Posted by Ashtray2 View Post
    ECLIPSE IDE? Seriously? This is the best IDE you can really offer for web development? So the only way a web developer would want to use ubuntu is if there's a VM of windows installed so he can access dreamweaver. Oh ya, and Aptana (or whatever its called) is an even bigger POS.

I say developer, because a web designer needs photoshop which is not a good app to run virtually (quite probably illustrator too). Which brings me to another thing I hate about Ubuntu. Gimp. Its so annoying hearing everyone say how Gimp is just as good as photoshop. The only thing these people know about Photoshop apparently is crop & rotate. Hey, windows picture viewer can do everything Photoshop does too. Whoppee!
    The cost of Photoshop doen't make it worthwhile to me. But if you got money go for it.
    Johnny3 65+++

Beans

Re: Still Rambling....

Quote Originally Posted by Ashtray2 View Post

You obviously just hate Ubuntu/Canonical. Your posts are worth less to me than the stuff I scrape of my boots after feeding the live stock!

Page 237 of 352 FirstFirst ... 137187227235236237238239247287337 ... LastLast