Page 2 of 366 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Things that you dislike in Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Things that u hate in Ubuntu

None really.
    I tried to find something, but I drew blanks all the time. I love Ubuntu, and I will never go back to Windows. Might try other flavors, but Linux is here to stay!
    Christian of Norway

With Ubuntu running smoothly on 3 computers, what should I do with all the spare time?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

The reboots and lockups. I am using Kubuntu Gutsy Gibbon and they are few and far between but they are still annoying.

On the lockups when the mouse is still working I guess I could restart XServer but I can never remember the key combination.

However, the last time this happened I was in Firefox typing a post in this forum, I clicked on "preview post" and the machine locked up so hard even the mouse was dead.

On the plus side, when Kubuntu restarted all my data was saved, including the post I was working on - that was very impressive.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

i hate the freedom and how everything works flawlessly all the time...

it gets boring. i even have the proposed updates checked off and still no breakages.

damn.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I don't hate anything about Ubuntu. But I have some things that I think could be improved or to use a fancy marketing term: optimized. Although some are just things upstream needs to fix. Like tabbed nautilus, saving sessions (both coming in GNOME 2.24), the still shaky suspend/hibernate support. And some little cosmetic things. Like why isn't automatically your theme also the root theme. You can easily set this through symbolic links. But for users that don't know it, they might wonder why all the "sudo" applications are in ugly grey.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

nufink
    blog ~~~ last.fm ~~~ twitter ~~~ digg
    Just so you know, everywhere else on the internet, I am known as mynameistux
    Its just a bunch of 1's and 0's.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I kinda wish it were a bit more lightweight and used more stable software. PulseAudio has been nothing but a burden so far.

Other than that, couldn't ask for more. Ubuntu is my first Linux distro, so can't complains about all that much.
    Want a quality CD ripping program for Ubuntu? Check out my how-to: Installing Rubyripper on Ubuntu!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I have plenty to vent about evolution-data-service (EDS), lots of vitriol for kde-pim and not very nice things to say about thunderbird. Linux and by extension Ubuntu is the worst software for managing addresses, contacts, phone numbers, notes, emails, events and other meta information. It's so badly thought out, so badly hodge podged and left to upstreams who only care about beating the other guys with their private format wars.

I'm not fond of PulseAudio, Alsa, OSS or ESD either. Linux sound is immature and the play thing of geeks instead of laymen and musicians.

The pidgin developers, what more can you say. A bad example of software developers, rude and stubborn at least in my experience with them.
    42 is not an anwser, it's an error code. the universe is saying 'Error 42: meaning to universe not found'
    Programmer, Teacher and Artist

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I would agree with maniacmusician that it would be nice if Canonical would focus on different desktop environments equally. Specially since I'm a KDE user. However, that doesn't really fall into the category of hating something.
    Like others said, I have it all setup to my liking. At least as far as possible. E.g. I don't have Compiz because my hardware simply doesn't do it. But that has nothing to do with K/Ubuntu. Actually there is nothing that I really hate. Only things that I either don't fully like or are a little unfortunate. But non of them are really K/Ubuntu or Linux caused. Those are application related things.

Probably the closest thing to "things to hate" is that there are companies out there that block out others on purpose. I guess you all know examples for that.
    In a sense, that's like closing a road for all cars except BMW's when there's a BMW dealer present. No matter if you come with a Dodge, Mercedes, FIAT, Ferrari, or what ever else.
    But I know, that is a whole other issue.

Cheers,
    Steve

Beans

I hate how pulseaudio doesn't work with sun java or adobe flash. Ok that's not Ubuntu's fault, but it's a huge annoyance within 8.04.
    Cya!

Beans

I suppose I hate that Nautilus doesn't support different wallpapers per desktop and I have to disable it from drawing the desktop and let Compiz handle it consequentially loosing desktop icons. But there was some patch where Nautilus must be recompiled but it was for the old version before 2.22.
    This is mostly Gnome's fault and should have been implemented years ago (even if it didn't work with Compiz).

Then there are just the bugs which are not really something to hate the whole distro for:
    Pulseaudio and Flash don't get along but I don't know who's fault that is.
    The ath-hal (or related) module occasionally locks up my system but that's not Ubuntu's fault.

Not really much to hate, just the little annoyances.
    ▁▂▃▄▅▆▇█▉▊▋▌▍▎▏▏▎▍▌▋▊▉█▇▆▅▄▃▂▁

Page 2 of 366 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast