Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Given up on Counter-Strike 1.6 on Ubuntu 8.04

Beans

Given up on Counter-Strike 1.6 on Ubuntu 8.04

Hi, I have officially given up on playing counter-strike 1.6 using wine on ubuntu 8.04. Why? Because I have spent useless hours on looking up guides, threads on this forum, and even posted for help on running counter-strike on wine. The thing is, performance has decreased a good amount (not as bad as some people are experiencing) but it has made me give up hope on ever gaming on ubuntu. Diablo 2 seems to work but steam games seem to be unfriendly with wine and will not cooperate. I have looked up many different guides on performance tweaks, video card settings, etc... Nothing works. Seems like wine just isn't perfect. Hopefully, my dad will buy me a windows xp cd so I can go back to windows. Despite the "hard to get steam games running" ordeal, I love ubuntu. It is worth the effort looking up things and learning more. Too bad I will be switching back to windows xp as soon as I get a hold of an installing cd of windows. Why have I posted this? To vent out my frustration, and maybe someone might help me change my mind.

Beans

Re: Given up on Counter-Strike 1.6 on Ubuntu 8.04

Just a word of advice,post your exact problems so noone flames you for being a and I quote MICROSOFT LOVER or LINUX HATER unquote.

Beans

Problems are no matter what I do I can never get the same performance ingame running wine on ubuntu than back when I used Windows. I get fps drops where I usually get 99 fps constant, even using same config, same settings, resolution, etc.. My video card drivers are up-to-date, I am using metacity, I have gone over this many times and nothing seems to work. And I read the thread "Stuff I've Learned about Wine" and it also adds that wine is not perfect and will sometimes do things such as less performance. Also, steam is pretty glitchy running on wine using gecko. When I message friends on steam, nothing shows up in the chat box "empty" I have installed fonts correctly too. The words in the chat box appears after being on steam for about 20 minutes and the glitch is gone until I restart steam again. I would really prefer windows xp where I had to install steam easily, and get great performance on it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience, but honestly, what did you really expect? Wine is still beta software and you should not expect it to work perfectly. Yes, a release candidate is out now, but even that is no where near close to a final product that is flawlessly equal to Windows. It really sounds like you set your expectations for Wine way too high, which will almost always lead to disappointment.

Additionally, it also sounds like you hit way too many out of date how-tos for Steam and its games. With current versions of Wine, you really don't have to do that much to get it running:
    1. Install the restricted drivers for your video card
    2. Install the winbind package
    3. Install Wine and create your .wine directory
    4. In Wine, install Gecko and Flash player
    5. Install Steam
    6. Install games in Steam

That's it, Steam should work now. You don't really need to mess with fonts or any special "tweak" configurations, but some functions of Steam will still not work fully, due to Wine's incomplete status (voice chat, some of the friend features, etc.). Getting the game to run its best may require a bit of tweaking, depending on your hardware (if you have an ATI or Intel video card, it might require a lot of tweaking), but no matter what you do, it will definitely not work at the same level that the game could work on Windows with the same hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by Twitch6000 View Post
    Just a word of advice,post your exact problems so noone flames you for being a and I quote MICROSOFT LOVER or LINUX HATER unquote.
    I'm not sure what forums you are talking about, but behavior like that is not tolerated on these forums. If someone were to flame a frustrated poster over something like this, the mods would squash it very quickly and decisively.
    Last edited by cogadh; May 17th, 2008 at 06:37 AM.

Linux User #355330 | Ubuntu User #15618 | Last.FM

Beans

Thanks for the advice cogadh, but to begin with on windows since I am using a Nvidia Geforce 5200 fx video card with 128 mb memory (pretty bad *** vid card in a negative way), I decided to find tweaks and play on lowest settings for best performance (I'm not too crazy about looks, just gameplay) and I played in lowest resolution, with lowest graphical settings. In windows, with those settings, I manage to get pretty good fps. Constant 99 fps in medium-small maps and with not too many people in the server. In ubuntu, My fps constantly drops here and there (it stays 99 pretty much until 1 person is in server, drops to 70) I am also using block models (really ugly models which look like lego character) and that didn't help much either. I rather not play cs than play it with constant fps drops ruining gameplay. You were also right about my expectations, I expected "better" performance on ubuntu because that's what I heard is better about linux than windows. But I forgot to realize that I should be grateful for wine because without it, I would never even have steam on linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

You did hear correctly, Linux will perform better than Windows, but that is really only true when you are talking about games that can be run natively in Linux (Doom 3, Neverwinter Nights, the UT games, etc.). When running non-native games through Wine, you can usually only expect adequate to nearly equal performance, depending on the game and your hardware.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Hmm? Nvidia Geforce 5200 FX huh? I'm running on an Nvidia Geforce4 MX 440, and CS 1.6's performance on my computer is wonderful. Medium settings. Also, can you really notice any difference in gameplay with FPS above 60Hz? I highly doubt it. The human eye's limit is somewhere around 60Hz. Some may differ, but it's quite a small range. Unless you can visually see the difference without a FPS counter, I think you really shold avoid complaining about the FPS. Even for fast action movies, the FPS is around 30 only.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I don't have a single problem what so ever. Very easy to install and very easy to run. FPS is the same on my system than on windows. I'm lucky I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshgo View Post
    Hi, I have officially given up on playing counter-strike 1.6 using wine on ubuntu 8.04. Why? Because I have spent useless hours on looking up guides, threads on this forum, and even posted for help on running counter-strike on wine. The thing is, performance has decreased a good amount (not as bad as some people are experiencing) but it has made me give up hope on ever gaming on ubuntu. Diablo 2 seems to work but steam games seem to be unfriendly with wine and will not cooperate. I have looked up many different guides on performance tweaks, video card settings, etc... Nothing works. Seems like wine just isn't perfect. Hopefully, my dad will buy me a windows xp cd so I can go back to windows. Despite the "hard to get steam games running" ordeal, I love ubuntu. It is worth the effort looking up things and learning more. Too bad I will be switching back to windows xp as soon as I get a hold of an installing cd of windows. Why have I posted this? To vent out my frustration, and maybe someone might help me change my mind.
    listen...if you really want to get this running! ASK! Don't post stuff Here of stuff you don't understand. Please list your...

OS
    Wine version
    graphics card
    cpu
    etc.

and we can tell you what you need.

if you launch it from terminal, what does it say?
    Last edited by Cresho; May 17th, 2008 at 07:21 AM.

Beans

Hey, I make the Wine packages for Ubuntu.

You're absolutely right that things can be frustrating as hell when they don't just work.

Wine is much better than it used to be, but we still run the user through completely arduous tasks just to do something as simple-seeming as playing counterstrike. You have to learn about Wine. Then install the Wine package. Then you can't just double click the steam .msi file - you have to open a scary terminal and learn how to navigate to wherever you put the file and do wine msiexec /i.

Worse, it might not even work then. You have to install Gecko, which needs to be downloaded. The automatic download might mysteriously fail. Then after downloading your games, they might not just work.

So you go looking for help. You find that you need to enable restricted drivers, and maybe you run across about 100 tutorials on Google aimed for obsolete versions of Wine running on 3 year old versions of Ubuntu. It's all quite annoying.

All I can tell you is that I'm aware of it, and working on it. Wine will be making its first ever actual non-beta release in a few weeks, and that version should become the "default" in a few ways (such as being in the Ubuntu-backports repository). Installing the winbind package like codagh recommends will be automatic (as Wine will "depend" on it). There will still be bugs, but all known regressions from previous versions, including performance-related ones, should be fixed by then.

Diagnosing performance issues like the ones you've been getting are the toughest. So many different things affect performance - drivers, bugs in the window manager, bugs in Wine, even seemingly unrelated features like desktop search can slow things down. It should be no surprise that we receive a lot of mixed reports - a good chunk of users even report that Ubuntu+Wine runs substantially better than actual Windows.

So, I don't know what to tell you other than that I'm sorry it's so aggravating and I'm doing my best to make things easy. As for immediate advice so you can play your games, you could give the latest 1.0 release candidate a try; or alternatively just enable the backports repository and wait a few weeks to try the actual 1.0 release. If you do give up, though, there's a good chance things will be fixed by the next Ubuntu release, and I hope a few bugs in unfinished software don't scare you off Ubuntu for good.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Steam client friends chat not working is a known bug in Wine.

http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=9771

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast