Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: bcm4306 and ssb

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: bcm4306 and ssb

Quote Originally Posted by backdoc View Post
    Here you go:
    [25713.022197] ndiswrapper (pnp_start_device:439): Windows driver couldn't initialize the device (C0000001)
    As odd as this sounds, it seems like it does not like the driver. You might try to see if you can find another driver. I am thinking that something might have changed in NDISwrapper.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Ayuthia View Post
    As odd as this sounds, it seems like it does not like the driver. You might try to see if you can find another driver. I am thinking that something might have changed in NDISwrapper.
    I don't know about that. It works if I reboot to my previous kernel. That strikes me as weird because the ndiswrapper module was compiled against the kernel headers I've posted. But, I'm not knowledgeable enough about that to really have an opinion.

I'm starting to think the kernel is fubar. But, I'm willing to try another driver. What driver would you suggest trying?

If another driver doesn't do the trick, maybe I can escalate this with the Ubuntu devs.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Well, I am not for sure about which driver you are currently using. It usually is better to grab the XP driver that is for your computer. Another place to check out is this one.

The other option is to try and go back to the Ubuntu repository version. That would not be compiled under your kernel.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Ayuthia View Post
    Well, I am not for sure about which driver you are currently using. It usually is better to grab the XP driver that is for your computer. Another place to check out is this one.

The other option is to try and go back to the Ubuntu repository version. That would not be compiled under your kernel.
    I am using the XP driver. It's the same one I've always used with ndiswrapper.

I will take a look at the url you posted. But, I think I have the right driver.

Thanks for all of your help and suggestions.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

i've seen this work in a number of situations where the b44 module is required for the wired network adapter. since the ssb module is a part of the usb (as is ndiswrapper) tree, it interferes with ndiswrapper.

adding:
    Code:
    modprobe -r ndiswrapper
    modprobe -r b44
    modprobe ndiswrapper
    modprobe b44
    to /etc/rc.local fixes the load order so both the wired and wireless cards can work.

troubleshooting source: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=740632

Beans

Thanks for helping.

Quote Originally Posted by dmizer View Post
    Code:
    modprobe -r ndiswrapper
    modprobe -r b44
    modprobe ndiswrapper
    modprobe b44
    I tried adding that to rc.local and it did not help.

I don't understand what you are trying to say here:
    since the ssb module is a part of the usb (as is ndiswrapper) tree, it interferes with ndiswrapper
    Could you elaborate on that?

Can we break this down into baby steps and prove each step either works or does not work as we go?

Beans

i've seen this work in a number of situations where the b44 module is required for the wired network adapter. since the ssb module is a part of the usb (as is ndiswrapper) tree, it interferes with ndiswrapper.

adding:
    Code:
    modprobe -r ndiswrapper
    modprobe -r b44
    modprobe ndiswrapper
    modprobe b44
    to /etc/rc.local fixes the load order so both the wired and wireless cards can work.

troubleshooting source: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=740632
    Apparently, I do not even need b44. I just did an lshw -C network. And, I could see the ssb module was bound to my wifi card. Then, I rmmod'd my ndiswrapper and reran lshw. It gave the same results. So, I rmmod'd b44 and reran lshw again. It was the same thing. After removing the b44 module, I pinged yahoo.com and proved my network was still up. I rmmod'd ssb and reran lshw again. This time, it did not show my wifi card was bound to the ssb module. So, I added the ndiswrapper module back to see if it would it would bind to the wifi card, it would not. This is where my problem is. Something is stopping ndiswrapper from gaining access to the card. Here's the lshw -C network results before and after:

Before removing ssb (not showing eth0):
    *-network:1
    description: Network controller
    product: BCM4306 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Controller
    vendor: Broadcom Corporation
    physical id: 3
    bus info: pci@0000:02:03.0
    version: 02
    width: 32 bits
    clock: 33MHz
    capabilities: pm bus_master cap_list
    configuration: driver=b43-pci-bridge latency=32 module=ssb

After removing ssb (not showing eth0):
    *-network:1 UNCLAIMED
    description: Network controller
    product: BCM4306 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Controller
    vendor: Broadcom Corporation
    physical id: 3
    bus info: pci@0000:02:03.0
    version: 02
    width: 32 bits
    clock: 33MHz
    capabilities: pm cap_list
    configuration: latency=32

After adding ndiswrapper back in, it looks the same.

Beans
    Distro

okay ... if b44 is not needed for your wired nic, include these modules in your blacklist:
    b43-pci-bridge
    b44
    b43
    ssb

reload ndiswrapper and see if that gets your card working.

Beans

okay ... if b44 is not needed for your wired nic, include these modules in your blacklist:
    b43-pci-bridge
    b44
    b43
    ssb

reload ndiswrapper and see if that gets your card working.
    I already had everything except for the b43-pci-bridge blacklisted. So, I added it and rebooted. Now my blacklist looks like:
    blacklist bcm43xx
    blacklist b43
    blacklist b43-pci-bridge
    blacklist b43legacy
    blacklist b44
    blacklist ssb

Upon reboot, I did an lsmod |grep -i ndis. ndiswrapper was already loaded. I checked iwconfig, and my eth1 wifi card wasn't listed. So, I did an lshw -C network and could see my wifi card was bound to ssb. So, I grep'ed my modules and discovered ssb was already loaded. Nothing is shown to be using it and it's no using any other modules.

lsmod |grep ssb
    ssb 32260 0
    I wondered if ndiswrapper loaded it. So, I did the following:

root@laptop:/home/backdoc# rmmod ndiswrapper
    root@laptop:/home/backdoc# rmmod ssb
    root@laptop:/home/backdoc# modprobe ndiswrapper
    root@laptop:/home/backdoc# iwconfig
    lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

I grep'd for ssb in my modules and it was NOT loaded. So, something else is loading it, even though it was blacklisted. Now, lshw -C network shows nothing bound to my wifi card.

Something I find odd is the result of ndiswrapper -l. It shows:

bcmwl5 : driver installed
    device (14E4:4320) present (alternate driver: ssb)

Before I upgraded, it never used to mention the "alternate driver: ssb" part. I've tried removing and adding it back several times. It always says this.

Beans
    Distro

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast