Thread: Something must be wrong - WinXP faster than Xubuntu?

Beans

Something must be wrong - WinXP faster than Xubuntu?

All right, I just can't figure this out. First, the hardware:

733MHz Celeron
    192MB PC-133
    Intel IGP
    40GB IDE HDD

I set up Windows XP on this computer for a family about two years ago. It ran decently. Not great, but running Windows Classic theme, it was enough to browse the internet and word process. After they trashed this machine with Spyware and Viruses (it was bad...really bad), they got a new Dell. I'm trying to fix this machine up for some people in Mexico. I figured Linux should run faster than Windows, yeah? So I stuck Xubuntu 8.04 on there.

Oh man, it's slow. I mean REALLY slow. Everything just crawls. Takes 5 minutes to boot, Firefox takes a minute to load, Update Manager takes forever just to check for updates, scrolling web pages is a slideshow, and it's just all-around slow. Something has to be wrong here. I'm not too versed in all this Ubuntu stuff (I'm a Red Hat guy myself), but surely there's something configured wrong here. It just doesn't make sense that Windows XP would be faster than Linux with Xfce.

Any help?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Something must be wrong - WinXP faster than Xubuntu?

can you post the specs of that "new" DELL

Xubuntu has minimum requirements, 128MB. <--And this is still without desktop effects.
    Laptop: Asus A8LE,Intel dual core T2370 1.7Mhz,DDR2 1GB,Atheros 5007EG,Xubuntu 8.04

Beans

Your ram is too small xubuntu can hardly work on 192MB (although this is the minimum requirement)

you have another choice based on ubuntu: fluxbuntu since it's liter than xubunu

Otherthan ubuntu you may try Gentoo
    This one will work for sure but it is very basic: puppylinux

If it's ok to use old ones thin I garantee you this will wrok: Caldera eDesktop 2.4

Beans

I don't see how the new Dell comes in. It was something obscenely fast like a 2.66Ghz core 2 duo with 3gb of ram. They got their new Dell months ago and are out of the picture. What I'm trying to do is refurb their old computer for some friends.

I understand that Xfce needs 128mb, but its got 192mb...

Beans

Really Xubuntu is not a light weight distro. It really needs 256 mb of ram to run well.

If you want to try linux try something trimmer.

Debian or slackware. Or even antix. Or if you want to go even trimmer Puppy Linux.

Beans

Just because the system meets the basic requirements doesn't mean it will work fast. You might be better of with an older version of xubuntu. Maybe a 7.1 or older. Really you will want to switch distros. Unfortunately Ubuntu isn't very memory/processor conservative. They have done a good job at being high end, I can do many things with my Ubuntu install that windows vista cannot even dream of... But back to the topic, try a lighter distro. Maybe Slackware, Arch linux, or even FreeBSD. I don't know that I would go the route of Gentoo because it needs a lot of tender loving care to keep going. Ubuntu is easy, but they have spared no expense in the ram and cpu needs.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by balagosa View Post
    Xubuntu has minimum requirements, 128MB. <--And this is still without desktop effects.
    I'm afraid you'r mistaken my friend

It needs 128MB for the live CD or the install CD to run
    While installing it will need 192MB at least

source: http://www.xubuntu.com/get

256MB is what you need to get it to work just fine
    Last edited by G_man; May 17th, 2008 at 02:13 AM.

Beans

Try Fluxbuntu or even a minimal install with plain xfce4 or a window manager.

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/minimal

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

I think the same thing about ubuntu (and xubuntu) is not "light" distribution in comparision with slackware or puppy.. recently i installed Vector Linux Light 5.9 Beta 5 (based in slackware) in laptop Packard Bell (Pentium III 266MHz 64MB) and is FASTER, with fluxbox, jwm or lxde is really light and with a recent kernel. With Xubuntu was almost impossible, or with old kernels but not at all performing. Puppy 4.00 is new release and is really beatiful and easy to use, try... i love ubuntu, is easy, but i recognise that is not the faster light distribution

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by G_man View Post
    I'm afraid you'r mistaken my friend
    sorry, i didnt have documents to back that up, it was just pure ubuntu experience.

(8yr Old Laptop)
    i have a Intel Celeron 1.7Mhz Processor, 128MB oh shared memory. i had Xubuntu ran on it and it was good, satisfactory. in fact, it ran faster than the WinXP that i had a dual booth with.

So i am sorry for false statements, maybe i should read more
    Laptop: Asus A8LE,Intel dual core T2370 1.7Mhz,DDR2 1GB,Atheros 5007EG,Xubuntu 8.04