Thread: Hibernating computer w/power management

Beans

Unhappy Hibernating computer w/power management

When I allow my computer running Hardy to shutdown using power management selections (after 30 minutes of inactivity), it appears to hibernate as selected and expected. When I reboot, it also appears to do as expected (i.e. all open applications are there as before and the desktop is generated as before shutdown.) However I keep getting the message at the bottom right hand screen that the computer failed to suspend. I could disable the message - but that would not answer the question as to why the message appears in the first place. Any advice?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Hibernating computer w/power management

Have you tried doing suspend and hibernate through the logout menu and seeing if those give the same results? Also what hardware are you using? Lots of times suspend/hibernate issues are related to drivers.
    Dialup or no internet on your Ubuntu box? Have no fear, Keryx is here! Keryx Project
    My blog

Beans

Yes, I have hibernated using the log out menus (there is no suspend option).
    When I hibernate in this manner, I do not get the failed to suspend message, and, I also need to provide a my password to log into my desktop. this does not happen using power management.

I am using an Everex PC with 512 MB memory, Via C7-D processor, 80G hard drive.

Beans

I decided to contact the manufacturer on this issue, and much to my surprise, the rep. told me that the computer was not set up to sleep or wake using the keyboard buttons without Windows! Go figure.

Don't know if the above helps -

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hmmm, thats interesting. I would think it wouldn't make a difference. Sounds like they played with the hardware so you couldn't do it outside of windows. I'll do a little googling to see if i can come up with anything.
    Dialup or no internet on your Ubuntu box? Have no fear, Keryx is here! Keryx Project
    My blog

Beans

Some additional information -

Since adding the most recent 8.0.4 updates (yesterday) through the Update Manager I am now unable to hibernate using power management selections. Have not tried using the shutdown button options yet. This is very telling because as I recall with 7.10 there were no issues. I now suspect a bug somewhere in the 8.04 version.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Very possible that it is a bug with newer package versions included in 8.04. Try searching http://launchpad.net for bugs related to your problem. Last night after resuming I received the "Computer was unable to suspend" message for the first time myself.
    My blog

Beans

Latest situation - I was out of pocket for last week & 1/2 (since June 14) and upon return, downloaded latest updates (84). Symptoms with hibernating using power management options has reverted back to original posting. Previous to this latest group of updates, my PC would not hibernate at all after downloading updates that were available after the original posting date.

So - I am back to appearing to being able to Hibernate but keep receiving the error message that my computer failed to suspend.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

My computer is constantly displaying the "Failed to suspend" message and I am unable to shutdown correctly anymore. After it jumps back to the terminal but before shutting down Gnome, it just hangs...if i press the power button then it jumps to shutting down gnome and finishes normally...
    My blog