Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] AR5007 Atheros Madwifi Hardy 8.04 32BIT I386 INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS STEP BY ST

Beans

Thumbs down [SOLVED] AR5007 Atheros Madwifi Hardy 8.04 32BIT I386 INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS STEP BY ST

Bye
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by nicedude; September 16th, 2008 at 06:55 PM.

Beans

Re: AR5007 Atheros Madwifi Hardy 8.04 32BIT I386 INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS STEP BY STEP

This is an awesome step by step you compiled. I have looked and searched far and wide trying to resolve this and this is the only thing that actually worked, and works WELL! Thanks again!

Beans

Re: AR5007 Atheros Madwifi Hardy 8.04 32BIT I386 INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS STEP BY STEP

Wow!!
    Much better but still having some problems..
    It is showing my network in WICD but when i click connect, it tries but cant do it.In Preferences the WPA Supplicant Driver is WEXT and the wireless interface is ath0-which I believe is all cool. Cant connect to the internet though....
    The instructions were very good and seemed to work ok-but I get a lot of unable to resolve host bob-laptop errors when I run sudo. The commands do work though. The only one that gave me the error was sudo modprobe ath_pci.
    Thanks so much for getting me this far!! Any help getting me connected will be appreciated!

Bob
    Last edited by packman1234; May 24th, 2008 at 01:52 AM. Reason: problem solved

Beans

Now everything is very slow and WICD does not work.. And I get a box saying There was an error starting the Gnome Settings Daemon!

Bob
    Last edited by packman1234; May 18th, 2008 at 12:52 PM. Reason: problem solved

Beans

Heres some proof that this works as I will post 2 speed test screenshots one using Wifi and one using Wired internet. My connection is 6MB DSL and the speeds I achieve here are the best it gets for me. If you look at my screen shots you can see that the first one is on my wired interface & the second is on my wireless interface ( I made arrows that point at my panel monitors showing which is in use ). The wifi in question is using 128bit WEP for this test session and this seems to have zero effect on performance since both speed tests were identical ( wireless did lose 20kb a sec out of 6500 so thats a performance loss of 1 third of 1 percent which is within statistical difference and irrelevant ). So just look at my screenshots and see for yourself that my wifi works just fine using my guide above - Furthur more notice the WICD icon on my toolbar as this is what is accomplishing my wifi connection as well as my wired when I connect it.

The problem my guide trys to resolve mainly is to just get rid of all the madwifi drivers that come with Hardy by default with the restricted driver manager since they are the wrong ones for your card. Also if you have this WIFI chipset by Atheros you are lucky not cursed as it is not "GARBAGE" far from it as its one of the best currently available for full usage of WIFI spectrum utilities, It also has one of the highest scanning speeds for use with kismet or other wireless network sniffing tools and allows setting for all modes of operation ( Just try & see if crappy Ndiswrapper allows that ).

Kismet by the way is one of the most awesome utilities I have ever had the pleasure to use in my life as it will detect & map all wireless networks in range of your device and supports using with GPS & works with Festival to audibly speak new network information to you as it is detected, so unless you work at the CIA you won't be finding any better sneaky wifi spy utilities here on planet earth - If anyone who after using this guide needs some kismet install & usage help PM me about that as well and I can help give you some advice. On a simple drive on the highway recently my kismet found and identified 700+ wireless networks driving one highway through a large city

Please don't just get mad and rant about your hardware when there are working solutions and you can't seem to implement them. This will only misleads others into thinking they own junk when actually they own a Mercedes Benz and just need to be given the keys. Sorry if anyone trying this has difficulty but I see no reason for it. Your situation should be no different than mine since I am having you remove all the system components that could cause problems with your Atheros chipset. If anyone has trouble I will help you as much as I can if you just PM me with relevant info of your complications.

Here are the screenshots for proof - first one is wired second one is wireless
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by nicedude; May 17th, 2008 at 05:05 AM.

Beans

To anyone that uses Wicd ( Or any other network manager for that matter ) please note to use encryption and connect you must go to the advanced settings for your network connection name you create for your network router or gateway & enter the type of encryption WPA - WEP & then you must also enter your key for decryption as you won't be connecting without the key as that is how WEP & WPA protect you. Not allowing login without a key is the whole point of how this type of radio signal security works in the first place, so if without the key entered properly you can't connect then that just means it is secure . Now enter your key so you can actually decrypt & use it though.
    Last edited by nicedude; May 17th, 2008 at 06:58 AM.

Beans

Nicedude knows what he is talking about and he is willing to help!!
    I rant because of all the hours I spent working on the wireless and it is indeed frustrating. Mine is working perfectly now thanks to his advice-I spent 20 hours before his post popped up.

Thanks again for your time---Now--I installed kismet and need a few pointers in getting it up and working.(when you have the time)

Bob

Beans

I was asked by someone here how to configure kismet server, So I am adding this post to give you all the commands you need to configure it and launch it with your Atheros AR5007 wifi chipset and the command to go back to normal wifi.

*** This is only info for Atheros Wireless cards using the madwifi driver!!

-= STEP 1 =-

"Editing you kismet.conf file"

you need to make some changes to your kismet configuration file named kismet.conf to allow it to work with your adapter and driver. At a minimum you will need to make the following change. There are many more things you can do in this file if you want or need to, but the following is mandatory for it to work.

This will launch a text editor and load the file for editing
    sudo gedit /etc/kismet/kismet.conf

Change the source= line to the following
    source=madwifi_ag,wifi0,madwifi

-= STEP 2 =-

"Getting what you need and executing the setup commands & launching kismet"

you need to configure your interface for kismet use with some commands and have the madwifi-tools package from the repositories. And you need kismet as well of course but I will assume you do, but if not get it now from the repositories.

Here is the command to install madwifi tools if you don't have them already

sudo apt-get install madwifi-tools

You will also need Aircrack as it contains a command I use to launch the server. So heres the install command for that.

sudo apt-get install aircrack-ng

And here is the sequence of commands to configure your Atheros AR5007 to correctly implement a kismet server session. While there are other variables that can be passed in these commands this will build a kismet server session in Monitor mode that will not transmit anything and only receive data. This is the mode of operation for a kismet sniffing session.

Just paste each one of these one at a time going down the list into a terminal window.

sudo wlanconfig ath0 destroy
    sudo ifconfig wifi0 down
    sudo airmon-ng start wifi0
    sudo kismet_server --daemonize
    sudo kismet_client

You should now be in a proper kismet client session and you will need to check out the key shortcuts for different commands in kismet to see what does what. Have fun with this and be responsible.

-= STEP 3 =-

"Stopping the kismet server when done and reverting to normal"

Once you are done with kismet server session you should close the kismet client window and then enter the following command into a terminal to stop the kismet server daemon

killall -I kismet_server

This will stop all instances of the kismet server daemon

Then to restart your network interfaces like from a fresh boot you can use the following command. this will let you use your wifi for internet access again.

sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart

Hope this helps you guys get the most use out of your AR5007
    Last edited by nicedude; May 18th, 2008 at 04:31 PM.

Beans

Cannot follow guide.
    Step four 404 error. Not found.
    Damn.

Beans

I think maybe the 1st post step four link is meant to be
    http://snapshots.madwifi.org/special...+ar5007.tar.gz

Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast