Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: log-in screen

Beans

log-in screen

I have ubuntu 8.04 installed. My log-in screen is so large that the log-in name is barely on the lower left of the screen. How do I change the resolution of the opening screens. The rest of the screen is working okay at 1024x768. the log on screen must be 40x30 or some other rediculous resolution.

Beans

Re: log-in screen

Edit your xorg.conf
    sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Copy and paste the lines below which does not contain any asterisk to your "Screen" section.

*Section "Screen"
    *Identifier "Default Screen"
    *Monitor "Configured Monitor"
    *Device "Configured Video Device"
    DefaultDepth 24
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 24
    Modes "1024x768"
    EndSubSection
    *EndSection
    Steady movement is more important than speed, much of the time. So long as there is a regular progression of Stimuli to get your mental hooks into, there is room for lateral movement. Once this begins, its rate is a matter of discretion.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

If that doesn't work, you can try editing the boot menu:
    http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/startupmanager

I believe there's a display setting in one of those drop-down menus.

Beans

The ubuntu icon and a small part of the 'u' are showing on login screen,thus not able to login. Tried the 'start-up manger' using alternate cd 'fiesty' as upgrade to 'hh' via internet.No luck. I did try 'sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg' only getting to 'mouse' choice and then message about not changing 'xorg'. Any advice appreciated.

Beans

I looked at my /etc/x11/xorg.conf file and this is what was listed
    Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Default Screen"
    Device "nVidia Corporation NV10 [GeForce 256 SDR]"
    Monitor "SylvaniaTF72"
    Defaultdepth 24
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 24
    Virtual 1400 1050
    Modes "800x600@60" "832x624@75" "800x600@85" "1024x768@85" "800x600@75" "1024x768@75" "800x600@72" "1024x768@70" "800x600@56" "1024x768@60" "640x480@85" "1024x768@43" "640x480@75" "1152x864@75" "640x480@72" "1280x960@60" "640x480@60" "1280x1024@60" "1400x1050@60"
    EndSubSection
    EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier "Default Layout"
    screen 0 "Default Screen" 0 0
    Inputdevice "Generic Keyboard"
    Inputdevice "Configured Mouse"

# Uncomment if you have a wacom tablet
    # InputDevice "stylus" "SendCoreEvents"
    # InputDevice "cursor" "SendCoreEvents"
    # InputDevice "eraser" "SendCoreEvents"
    EndSection
    Section "Module"
    Load "glx"
    Load "GLcore"
    Load "v4l"
    EndSection
    Section "ServerFlags"
    EndSection

I am reluctant to change anything beecause I am is the process of learning Linux
    Thank you very much for any help. Victor

Beans

Appreciate your reply.I went ahead and downloaded 'alt cd' of 'HH'. Had to do a little work with GParted cd to delete old "FF' which I had upgraded to "HH" via 'updates'..........everything working great.
    I too didn't like making any changes when not really understanding what was going on. If I can help,let me know.Thanks

Beans

I took the easy way out of my log on screen dilema by setting automatic log-on. I didn't learn anything about fixing the system but I got past the problem.. It ia the chicken way out but it works.

Beans

An easy way out but you did compromise a little bit of your system's security. Anyway, if that works for you without your user being asked for valid credentials (i.e: username and pass), so be it.
    Steady movement is more important than speed, much of the time. So long as there is a regular progression of Stimuli to get your mental hooks into, there is room for lateral movement. Once this begins, its rate is a matter of discretion.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

hey guys,

I just had the same exact problem. I went ahead and took the advice of both iaculallad and aysiu... so I'm not sure exactly which one worked. I thought I'd just give confirmation in this thread that my problem was resolved.

However, after the login page was fixed, my regular resolution was altered, and then I had to play around with nvidia-settings and saving over xorg.conf to get that back to normal.

So hats off to you guys, thanks!

Beans

I did both things - edited that file as iaculallad suggested, and edited the boot menu like aysiu said, but it made no difference to the resolution of my login screen. (It's always been higher than it should be.) Any other ideas?
    Thanks.
    Please mark thread as solved if and when it is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast