Thread: Auto-mounting HD to Desktop, How can I stop this

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Auto-mounting HD to Desktop, How can I stop this

Hi, I have been using linux for some time now and I just updated to 8.04. Now every time I start up Ubuntu auto mounts my other HD's to the desktop, Its really annoying. It never happen before I updated and I have not change my fstab. How can I prevent the auto mount to the desktop but keep the auto mount to my home as I have it in my fstab.

my fstab
    Code:
    # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
    #
    # <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
    proc            /proc           proc    defaults        0       0
    # /dev/sda2
    UUID=eda65ddf-ad7e-46f6-9605-bbef4b0d320b /               ext3    defaults,errors=remount-ro 0       1
    # /dev/sda3
    UUID=765fc2fb-e664-4b4b-bb2e-de9d31a5ebf0 /boot           ext2    defaults        0       2
    # /dev/sda1
    UUID=9644E10744E0EB47 	    /home/uclalinux/windows_partion    ntfs    defaults        0       2
    # /dev/sdb1
    UUID=e2cd600a-6c8e-4af5-87a7-713b020eb22d /home/uclalinux/sdb1     ext3    defaults        0       2
    # /dev/sdc1
    UUID=6243974e-fa2d-4c04-bfb6-437be5b1f671 /home/uclalinux/sdc1     ext3    defaults   0    2
    # /dev/sda4
    UUID=04f3d16e-cf8e-4fae-8124-1943e762db6d none  swap sw           0  0
    /dev/scd0       /media/cdrom0   udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec 0       0

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Auto-mounting HD to Desktop, How can I stop this

If you want to remove the shortcuts from your desktop I would use Ubuntu Tweak Its a cool little app that you can easily tweak a bunch of your gnome settings without editing them in the gconf-editor.

To remove it using gconf-editor:

Press Alt-F2, and run gconf-editor. To get to the settings, navigate to /apps/nautilus/desktop and check the boxes that apply.

This just disables the icons from showing on the desktop and does not modify where the drives are mounted.
    Dialup or no internet on your Ubuntu box? Have no fear, Keryx is here! Keryx Project
    My blog

Beans
    Distro

Thanks that works, but it also remove the icons for USB thumb drives and Ipods. I only want to remove the HD icons, the thing thats weird is the fact under mount point on the desktop icons it list the correct location .Which is /home/uclalinux/sdb1 or sdc1 , I think there is another solution to this problem.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I'm assuming that because they are located in fstab they are automatically given shortcuts on the desktop just like a removable drive is when it is automounted. I'm not sure how to fix that for your situation unfortunately.
    Dialup or no internet on your Ubuntu box? Have no fear, Keryx is here! Keryx Project
    My blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

According to this thread, Gnome displays the drives mounted in /media onto the desktop, this means that if you were to mount the drives you didnt want displayed to a different directory then they would not appear on the desktop. It would just be a matter of creating the folders and editing your fstab I assume.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=405870
    My blog

Beans
    Distro

Thank you for your persistence in this solution, I will post a solution if I find one.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Ok, i didnt seem to find much of anything else. If you find a solution please do post, i wouldnt mind having this myself. I've sort of gotten used to having no drive icons on my desktop but i still wish i could have only the removable drives.
    My blog