Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: nvidia-legacy and xorg.conf

Beans

Re: nvidia-legacy and xorg.conf

I have been struggling with very simular problems, so I would love to see this resolved.

I downloaded 8.04 the day it was released, and have been trying to install it since that day,sometime lastnight around midnight it worked.

I now have Ubuntu Hardy Heron 8.04 installed and fully operational on one of three machines.
    I have absolutely no idea what I did to fix it, I just thrashed around changing things and downloading stuff and so on.

Here is what I think.

Ubuntu 8.04 is supposed to have better hardware support and thinks it knows what is best for your system. However this new and improved system with better hardware support is a work in progress and is not complete.

I am pretty sure the solution to your problem will be a combination of getting the nvidia driver installed AND getting the correct monitor installed, I don't think you will have any luck with generic or plug and play monitor.

I have had zero luck manually edditing xorg.conf, for somereason that always generated a error warning at the top of the xorg.conf.

and dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg has resulted in a black screen every time.

Rusty

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hopefully the 8.04.1 release will fix these problems. Unfortunately it appears that everyone with a legacy card is having trouble with Hardy. The best option I can think of is to go back to a previous version of Ubuntu which worked with your card. They still package software for Gutsy and Feisty, you just dont get the most recent software.

One thing you can do to help is to file bug reports about the nvidia-legacy driver on http://launchpad.net
    Dialup or no internet on your Ubuntu box? Have no fear, Keryx is here! Keryx Project
    My blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

It's more than a bit troublesome... one of the selling points to Ubuntu and Linux in general is that you can keep your hardware alive longer, but for me it's turning out to be quite the opposite. As it is, I had to finally break down and buy an Atheros wireless card, because my RaLink wouldn't work past Feisty (and rather poorly there, at that), and now I might have to buy a new graphics card as well.

This is interesting:
    There are presently two Legacy GPU driver series. The 1.0-71xx series supports TNT, TNT2, GeForce 256, and GeForce2 GPUs. The 1.0-96xx series supports GeForce2 MX, GeForce3, GeForce4, and Quadro4 GPUs. For a complete list of the GPUs supported in each of the Legacy GPU driver series, see the lists below.
    This is from the nVidia web page on Legacy drivers. I can swear that this was absolutely NOT the case with Feisty. This may be the cause of the problem. Let's see if I can get the proper "Legacy" up and running. I will report back.
    “Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.” -- Bertrand Russell

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Unfortunatley this is yet another reason holding users back in Windows territory because lots of things simply do not work. If its all the same you can always continue using feisty and compile software from source if you want a newer version. Another thing to consider is switching distros. Ubuntu is great for many, but not all. Some distros may have better support for your wireless and video drivers. Ubuntu seems to have hit some roadbumps with the last couple of releases.
    Dialup or no internet on your Ubuntu box? Have no fear, Keryx is here! Keryx Project
    My blog

Beans
    Distro

Envy-NG appears to have done the job this time, but 1280x1024 is still the upper limit, despite the fact that my xorg.conf lists "1600x1200" quite clearly in "Modes" under "Screen". And nothing resembling 1400xanything. Still, what I've got looks good.

I wonder if the problems everyone is having comes from trying to force the other "Legacy" driver to be used. I'm using the regular nvidia-glx right now, which was NOT the case under Feisty.
    “Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.” -- Bertrand Russell

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

That could be that it is forcing the wrong driver. Does your nvidia-settings work now? You might be able to use it to configure now if the driver is installed correctly.
    My blog

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post
    Envy-NG appears to have done the job this time, but 1280x1024 is still the upper limit, despite the fact that my xorg.conf lists "1600x1200" quite clearly in "Modes" under "Screen". And nothing resembling 1400xanything. Still, what I've got looks good.

I wonder if the problems everyone is having comes from trying to force the other "Legacy" driver to be used. I'm using the regular nvidia-glx right now, which was NOT the case under Feisty.
    One thing that I've noticed, and even on the beginning of this thread, is that you tried to install envyng-gtk, but that's for ubuntu. If you're using Kubuntu, you should install envyng-qt... but I don't think many people make that distinction...
    "There are 10 types of people: Those who read binary and those who don't"
    >>>"who is general failure and why is he reading my files"<<<
    The Ubuntu Counter Project - user number # 22367
    Howto automount NTFS - My wallpaper

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Victormd View Post
    One thing that I've noticed, and even on the beginning of this thread, is that you tried to install envyng-gtk, but that's for ubuntu. If you're using Kubuntu, you should install envyng-qt... but I don't think many people make that distinction...
    No, I saw that in Synaptic and chose the right one. The problem was that I was certain that I would be running the old "Legacy" driver, but not only are their now two "Legacies", apparently the GEForce4 MX has been bumped up a rung in the process. No idea how that works.

Does anyone know if the "nv" driver still being worked on, or is it pretty much as is for the rest of its life?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

It doesnt look like there has been much work put into their 2D driver at all since '07. I bet if they felt it was pretty much stable and complete they would scrap the project and put their developers to work on the 3D driver seeing as its the one everyone wants.
    My blog

Beans
    Distro

I take it all back... sort of. I did in fact get 1280x1024 working properly in Kubuntu, but then I returned to Ubuntu, mostly for reasons of personal preference, past experience, etc.

Now I cannot get any resolution above 1024x768 to work properly. 1280x1024 will run via EnvyNG and nvidia-settings, but application titlebars float off the top of the screen, and text in the terminal won't even appears on screen at all. Also, everything loads extremely slowly when booting up or restarting X. Very strange. I'd appreciate some tips.

Here's my xorg.conf right now (which is hopefully roughly what it was at install):
    Code:
    # nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig
    # nvidia-xconfig:  version 1.0  (buildmeister@builder3)  Tue Jan 22 19:53:46 PST 2008

# xorg.conf (X.Org X Window System server configuration file)
    #
    # This file was generated by dexconf, the Debian X Configuration tool, using
    # values from the debconf database.
    #
    # Edit this file with caution, and see the xorg.conf manual page.
    # (Type "man xorg.conf" at the shell prompt.)
    #
    # This file is automatically updated on xserver-xorg package upgrades *only*
    # if it has not been modified since the last upgrade of the xserver-xorg
    # package.
    #
    # If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically updated
    # again, run the following command:
    #   sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "Default Layout"
        Screen         "Default Screen" 0 0
        InputDevice    "Generic Keyboard" "CoreKeyboard"
        InputDevice    "Configured Mouse"
    EndSection

Section "Files"
    EndSection

Section "Module"
        Load           "glx"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier     "Generic Keyboard"
        Driver         "kbd"
        Option         "XkbRules" "xorg"
        Option         "XkbModel" "pc105"
        Option         "XkbLayout" "us"
        Option         "XkbVariant" "altgr-intl"
        Option         "XkbOptions" "lv3:ralt_switch"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier     "Configured Mouse"
        Driver         "mouse"
        Option         "CorePointer"
    EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier     "Configured Monitor"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier     "Configured Video Device"
        Driver         "nvidia"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier     "Default Screen"
        Device         "Configured Video Device"
        Monitor        "Configured Monitor"
        DefaultDepth    24
        Option         "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
        Option         "NoLogo" "True"
        SubSection     "Display"
            Depth       24
            Modes      "nvidia-auto-select"
        EndSubSection
    EndSection
    Thanks in advance.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123