Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The common question - Low Resource Distro?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Re: The common question - Low Resource Distro?

I've heard good things about MINIX 3.

Beans

I've heard good things about MINIX 3.
    yeah but that isnt exactly linux, or stable (currently) or eeasy to use. It also only has like 600 packages avalable to install.
    hp dv6395 ea 2gb ram core 2 duo 2.00 Ghz archlinux User | Arch rocks! | Submit Bug Reports! https://launchpad.net/ubuntu | Include detail in your thread titles!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

He just asked for an OS, he didn't say what kernal.

And MINIX is very low-resource. No games released for it, but come on, you're not going to do much gaming on 256 megs of ram anyway, besides maybe solitaire. I should know, the school computers all have 256 megs.

Beans

Puppy linux is insanely fast.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

AntiX is a good choice for a low resource pc. Anticapitalista has done a fine job refining Antix. I installed AntiX on a PIII 933 with 256 MB of RAM, the machine runs very nice. Only using 38 MB of RAM at startup!

The ISO is light, great choice of default applications and the default artwork is decent. Both Fluxbox and IceWM are set up well and the system is very usable from a default load.

I did have to clean up the residual config files but that was the only configuration I had to do. The old PIII system is now a perfectly usable machine now.

AntiX is a very good choice for a low resource pc!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by exploder View Post
    AntiX is a good choice for a low resource pc. Anticapitalista has done a fine job refining Antix. I installed AntiX on a PIII 933 with 256 MB of RAM, the machine runs very nice. Only using 38 MB of RAM at startup!

The ISO is light, great choice of default applications and the default artwork is decent. Both Fluxbox and IceWM are set up well and the system is very usable from a default load.

I did have to clean up the residual config files but that was the only configuration I had to do. The old PIII system is now a perfectly usable machine now.

AntiX is a very good choice for a low resource pc!
    P3 isn't exactly slow...I was talking about a P1 166mhz with Puppy4 working really good on it. Jwm is actually usable for a new user vs Fluxbox which is less new user friendly. Puppy4 would SCREAM on that machine...
    A computer allows you to make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Just tried the latest Antix on my P1

Panic! This CPU is too old for this kernel
    Bummer
    A computer allows you to make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by Ripfox View Post
    Just tried the latest Antix on my P1
    Bummer
    Which release of Puppy 4 did you try? There are two different releases of Puppy, one with a newer (up to date) kernel and one with a slightly older kernel for older machines. I'm not saying that it'll work, but it could be worth a try.??

To the original poster - you could also perhaps check out "Grafpup" which is based on Puppy but uses Openbox as the WM (at least the newer version does). It's small, light, VERY fast, and has a great selection of apps. Otherwise try the last release of Puppy, (3.01?) or maybe even one of the slightly older "Community Editions" which work exceptionally well, and will almost undoubtedly work on that machine.
    Registered Linux user: #413753 | Ubuntu user: #7595
    | Tiny Me | antiX | Zenwalk |

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Dingo...the standard one not the 2.5 (?) kernel one.

Beans

Woah I never really looked at this topic, sorry!

Those that said Xubuntu, I tried that. For some strange reason it simply "doesn't work" and I can't define "doesn't work" because I can't really explain what happened.

Ubuntu base.... hmm... I just -can't-.

Puppy Linux sounds like a good choice. A few of you said that.

Upgraded the RAM too - It's now 384MB.

But thank you all for your responses, I'll think I'll look into Puppy.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxIBoy View Post
    He just asked for an OS, he didn't say what kernal.
    But I did mean a Linux OS

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast