Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Display Drivers Needed!!!

Beans

Re: Display Drivers Needed!!!

should hardware drivers actually show me the drivers on my computer?

Beans

If you can get an updated BIOS can you try installing that? It will probably be a windows binary so you'll have to do it in a windows partition or I've had a lot of success advising people to do it in Virtualbox.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Etheredge View Post
    i played wow just fine on this laptop with vista but its a no go for wine
    Wine is not a replacement for Windows. Some things work really well (I could never get Starcraft working right in XP, but it runs flawlessly in wine), some pretty good (Guild Wars with a few pixel-shader tweaks and proprietary NVIDIA drivers) and others (most) not at all, or terribly. Don't expect it to deliver the same kind of performance as Windows does.
    I do not use Ubuntu any more, nor have I ever used Gnome. Therefore, I tend to give advice that is distro- and DE-agnostic, which, while perhaps not the easiest way, will allow you to move freely between machines.

Beans

bah this is a headache.... all for wow.....

i dont understand why im not able to see any drivers tho

i have to update my bios?

and i checked for the option to switch from intel to ati and there was none as far as i could see in the bios

Beans

Are you absolutely sure that you have a video card in this system? Just because there are drivers for it doesn't mean you do, as some are available with different configurations.
    I do not use Ubuntu any more, nor have I ever used Gnome. Therefore, I tend to give advice that is distro- and DE-agnostic, which, while perhaps not the easiest way, will allow you to move freely between machines.

Beans

should hardware drivers actually show me the drivers on my computer?
    No. The name of that application is a misnomer. It only shows hardware that requires proprietary drivers, such as ATI and NVidia cards.
    "When you dual-boot Windows, Windows exists along side of Linux. When you use VirtualBox, Windows exists at the pleasure of Linux." -- ThomasAaron @ System76

Beans

and i checked for the option to switch from intel to ati and there was none as far as i could see in the bios
    Ok. I REALLY doubt that you have an other video card in that laptop. I think Xiong Chiamiov's comments are most applicable to your problem.
    "When you dual-boot Windows, Windows exists along side of Linux. When you use VirtualBox, Windows exists at the pleasure of Linux." -- ThomasAaron @ System76

Beans

so its just a matter of how its set up for the most part?

ive heard numerous reports of wow runing fine

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Are you sure that you have an ATi card? Because the specifications of the laptop say that there is an Intel VGA card but none of them mention the presence of an ATi card. So unless you manually put in an ATi card(which would be difficult since the VGA cards of laptops usually cannot be easily changed), it is impossible to be having an ATi card.
    Think carefully before executing commands containing "rm", especially "sudo rm -rf ", if you require more information concerning this matter, read this.
    I am an experimenter, give me the most stable OS and I can make it unstable in a few hours.

C == seriously fast == FTW!

Beans
    If you do:
    Code:
    man lspci
    It tells you that there's a PCI device connected to your motherboard, which there should be if it's an ATI card, the lspci command should show it. You may not have drivers for it, which is the software that helps the kernel interact with the device in an electrical sense, but it should at least be detected with the lspci command. From your output, I'm not seeing an ATI card so I'm questioning if it's really in there.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast