Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Display Drivers Needed!!!

Beans

Exclamation Display Drivers Needed!!!

Alright long story short im having a battle with playin wow in wine

testing out the updating of my graphics drivers

GM965/GL960 integrated graphics controller is all the info i have on it

Also i used EnvyNG to try and update the drivers but it was unable to detect any drivers what so ever ati or nvidia

need some help!

Beans

Re: Display Drivers Needed!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Etheredge View Post
    GM965/GL960 integrated graphics controller is all the info i have on it
    Intel's integrated graphics chipsets do not require proprietary drivers. The open source drivers are already included as part of Ubuntu.

I am not familiar with WoW or any other type of gaming, for that matter. But keep in mind that the Intel integrated graphics controllers are NOT high-end gaming video cards. They are inexpensive, general purpose "cards."

EDIT: Well, they aren't cards at all... but that's beside the point. You get my meaning.
    "When you dual-boot Windows, Windows exists along side of Linux. When you use VirtualBox, Windows exists at the pleasure of Linux." -- ThomasAaron @ System76

Beans

ya see thats the thing.....

i played wow just fine on this laptop with vista but its a no go for wine

its a toshiba satallite a2054777

which also has an ati card inside but i cant seem to find a way to locate it.
    the drivers off the toshiba site show the ati display driver so it is there

does this help?

Beans

If you have an ATI card you can use proprietary drivers to operate it. I'm not sure how to select one video card over another in Ubuntu, but you should have an option in System -> Administration -> Restricted Drivers Manager. Can you select that and see if it detects your ATI card?

Beans

there is no restricted drivers manager from what i can tell. only hardware drivers and when i select that there is nothing on the list at all.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

ya see thats the thing.....

i played wow just fine on this laptop with vista but its a no go for wine

its a toshiba satallite a2054777

does this help?
    The laptop has both cards? Have you checked your BIOS to see which one is enabled?
    there is no restricted drivers manager from what i can tell. only hardware drivers and when i select that there is nothing on the list at all.
    Restricted driver is a term from Gutsy, that is under Hardware Driver in Hardy...
    "There are 10 types of people: Those who read binary and those who don't"
    >>>"who is general failure and why is he reading my files"<<<
    The Ubuntu Counter Project - user number # 22367
    Howto automount NTFS - My wallpaper

Beans

does this help?
    Those number -- GM965/GL960 -- are Intel model numbers. So, if I understand you correctly, you are saying you have both an integrated intel video controller AND a discrete video card, probably some type of ATI? Please verify this information and post back. Also, from a terminal (Applications --> Accessories --> Terminal) please type the following and post the output:
    Code:
    lspci | grep VGA
    "When you dual-boot Windows, Windows exists along side of Linux. When you use VirtualBox, Windows exists at the pleasure of Linux." -- ThomasAaron @ System76

Beans

etheredge@etheredge-laptop:~$ lspci | grep VGA
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
    etheredge@etheredge-laptop:~$

Beans

The only pages I can find related to this product are in Spanish.

Beans

etheredge@etheredge-laptop:~$ lspci | grep VGA
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
    etheredge@etheredge-laptop:~$
    Ok. If you are absolutely sure that there is an other video card, you'll need to go into your BIOS (check your Toshiba user manual... different laptops use different keystrokes to accomplish this) and make sure that the Intel card is DISABLED and that the ATI card is ENABLED (although the ATI card may not show up in the BIOS ... I'm not sure about your particular configuration)

After that, Ubuntu should detect the ATI card, and then you'll be able to use the Hardware Drivers application to install the proprietary drivers, if needed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast