Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Repository support for 5.10...

Beans

Repository support for 5.10...

Hi....

I have an older system that didn't quite handle Ubuntu and Kubuntu 6.06 as fast as needed so I'm wondering if I install Ubuntu 5.10, do the repositories still support this old of version? If so, what is the trick of getting the additional repositories to come up in Synaptic without all the error messages?

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Repository support for 5.10...

The end-of-life for Ubuntu 5.10 has come and gone. The repositories no longer exist, and running it is a security risk.

If I were you, I'd look into to alternate strategies for reviving this old system. I've installed minimal systems (still fully functional, though) on extremely low-spec computers, and it works fine. Install something like kde-core or gnome-core instead of the standard Ubuntu desktop. Better yet, use a lighter window manager like Openbox or IceWM. You are likely to get better performance this way than using the full Ubuntu 5.10 environment.
    Last edited by p_quarles; May 14th, 2008 at 07:47 AM.
    I am aware of all internet traditions. | Getting the best help | Text formatting codes | My last.fm profile
    Should I PM support questions? NO!

Beans

What are the hardware specs on this machine?

Beans

Hi...

Thanks for your replies!

System specs are:

Pentium III 600 mhz processor on an AOpen AX6BC motherboard
    384 MB's memory
    10 GB Western Digital hard drive
    Radeon 7200 PCI 3D video card
    Netgear FA311 network card
    winmodem

Thanks for letting me know on the repositories...too bad though

Best Regards...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by ardvark71 View Post
    Hi...

Thanks for your replies!

System specs are:

Pentium III 600 mhz processor on an AOpen AX6BC motherboard
    384 MB's memory
    10 GB Western Digital hard drive
    Radeon 7200 PCI 3D video card
    Netgear FA311 network card
    winmodem

Thanks for letting me know on the repositories...too bad though

Best Regards...
    You call that "an older system"?

That will run a more recent system just fine if you start off with a command-line installation. The alternate installation disk offers you this option. Once you have the base system installed, install the environment of your choice. For KDE, e.g., you would run this:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg kde-core kdm
    I am aware of all internet traditions. | Getting the best help | Text formatting codes | My last.fm profile

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by p_quarles View Post
    You call that "an older system"?
    Compared to my HP notebook (Turion 64, 1.8 Ghz, 1 GB memory, Radeon Xpress 200M 128 MB,) absolutely!

Does the command line installation you mention allow for a more specific kernal for the Pentium III, rather than the 386?

Best Regards...
    Last edited by ardvark71; May 14th, 2008 at 08:25 AM. Reason: Punctuation

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Compared to my HP notebook (Turion 64, 1.8 Ghz, 1 GB memory Radeon Xpress 200M 128 MB,) absolutely!
    Heh, yeah it's definitely not top-of-the-line, but I've installed current versions of Linux on considerably less powerful computers, and still got them functional.

Does the command line installation you mention allow for a more specific kernal for the Pentium III, rather than the 386?
    Unless you want to compile your own, your choices would be i386 or Generic (what I would recommend). There isn't a significant architecture difference between a PIII and, say, a Core Duo.

Basically, without the fancy effects and background services that the full desktop packages give you, you'll see good performance with this thing. Again, though, to get the most out of this machine you should look at a window manager.

Beans

System specs are:

Pentium III 600 mhz processor...
    384 MB's memory
    I've run full Ubuntu 7.10 on a machine with those specs, no problems. Even installed using the GUI, but the HDD was already partitioned and it was using swap.

CD
    Administrator of various cast-off debris, most of it running either Ubuntu or Debian

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by p_quarles View Post
    Heh, yeah it's definitely not top-of-the-line, but I've installed current versions of Linux on considerably less powerful computers, and still got them functional.

Unless you want to compile your own, your choices would be i386 or Generic (what I would recommend). There isn't a significant architecture difference between a PIII and, say, a Core Duo.

Basically, without the fancy effects and background services that the full desktop packages give you, you'll see good performance with this thing. Again, though, to get the most out of this machine you should look at a window manager.
    Thank you, p_quarles! When I get a hold of some CD's, I'll burn a copy of the alternative install, and give it a shot

Best Regards...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by CREEPING DEATH View Post
    I've run full Ubuntu 7.10 on a machine with those specs, no problems. Even installed using the GUI, but the HDD was already partitioned and it was using swap.

CD
    Interesting. Even when I had 5.10 installed on the same system a year ago (when it was still supported,) I could feel the weight of it even though it ran good.

Best Regards...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast