Thread: Book recommendations Ubuntu

Beans

Book recommendations Ubuntu

Can anyone recommend a good Ubuntu book that goes talks about the complete system for example:-

-how to mount drives,
    -the kernel,
    -using the terminal,
    -commands in the terminal
    -the file structure,
    -what happens when you install using apt-get and where your files go
    -sound
    -graphics cards and drivers
    -xorg

It is one area I need to learn.
    I have now fully migrated to Ubuntu, it's taken 3 years but I have finally done it.

I have Photoshop 7 and Dreaweaver 8 running without any problems in Wine, in fact it is quicker than Windows, so I am really happy. It's now time to learn about the system.

I remember about 10 years ago I bought the Windows95 Bible it was the best thing I bought, it taught me so much about the system. I am hoping something like this exists for Ubuntu.
    www.techheadz.co.uk
    Selection of tutorials and tips.

Beans

Re: Book recommendations Ubuntu

well there is a "official" guide for ubuntu for sale out there:
    here
    and there is the community wiki
    HOME BUILT SYSTEM! http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22804/ Please vote up!
    remember kiddies: sudo rm -rf= BAD!, if someone tells you to do this, please ignore them unless YOU WANT YOUR SYSTEM WIPED

Beans

I found this book very useful but it uses 6.10.- at least the version I got used 6.10. I attend school in upstate NY and I have access to all books in the NY library system so I ordered it and it was there in a few days. One problem I found is that it tells you what to do but it doesn't always say WHY you do that, or perhaps the author had a wiser intended audience.

I would like to learn the same things you discussed. I've been busy w/ school - I hope to use this summer learnig what I can. I got a great book by O'Reilly called Understanding The Linux Kernel. I personally think it's a little deep and so far I've taken two courses in C and Assembly Language (which I think helps A LOT to understand how computers work from an electrical standpoint).

Every time I google "how to write drivers" I get webpages that say you absolutely MUST understand kernel concepts and stuff that borders on electrical engineering stuff (with a concentration on computing of course). So hopefully I can start learning that. I see all these people having trouble with video cards and drivers and I want to help them - just need to learn how.

Well, had my last final exam today, so hopefully I can get started.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SunnyRabbiera View Post
    well there is a "official" guide for ubuntu for sale out there:
    here
    and there is the community wiki
    Dude that book is total nublar and I don't think it's appropriate for someone who's been into Ubuntu for 3 years.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I just got this one: A Practical Guide To Ubuntu Linux [link is to Amazon]

It's big and pretty comprehensive, and may be something like the win95 Bible in that sense. 1070 pages not counting the index. I've barely scratched the surface of it yet, but I'm happy with what I've read so far.

It's written for Gutsy, though. It's only been out four months, but books are always out of date compared to the forums and wiki because Ubuntu releases so often.

There's a Slashdot review from a month ago of the same book here.
    Last edited by jetsam; May 14th, 2008 at 07:08 AM.

Beans

ubuntu unleashed 7.10, it is kinda expensive and long but from what I have heard is really good. You should search amazon.
    hp dv6395 ea 2gb ram core 2 duo 2.00 Ghz archlinux User | Arch rocks! | Submit Bug Reports! https://launchpad.net/ubuntu | Include detail in your thread titles!

Beans
    Hidden!