Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hardy: Problem adding xfce metapackage

Beans

Hardy: Problem adding xfce metapackage

Hi,

I just installed Hardy, and it works perfectly. Then, out of my curiousity, I installed xfce desktop metapakage and xfce restricted metapackage. The instalation was ok and I was able to logoff gnome and login into xcfe. Then I play a little bit with compiz in order to match my gnome desktop. Everything's good

Then I restart my pc. I got the xubuntu login, and sound. typed name and password, login screen disappeared, and was stucked with blank cyan screen and mouse pointer only. At this point, there was no post-login sound and the harddrive lamp was blinking every 2 secs or so.

So, I powered off my pc and boot into gnome. Everthing is fine. Please help me revive my xfce

My hardware is: ACER 5920G; Dual Core 2,2G; Ram 4GB; nvidia 8600M/512; HDD 250G AHCI mode. Dual booting with Vista, XP, Ubuntu 8.04

Thanks,

Beans

Re: Hardy: Problem adding xfce metapackage

SO that means, u did some corruption ot the XFCE desktop ?
    My linux registered number-438221
    Use Zenwalk, its SMALL and SEXY and VERY SLIM distro. Its very fast. I love it.
    Zenwalk.org

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by zenwalker View Post
    SO that means, u did some corruption ot the XFCE desktop ?
    Well, I'm not sure about the curruption, since there's no visible error message at all. My system just stuck in the cyan screen

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by bamsan View Post
    Well, I'm not sure about the curruption, since there's no visible error message at all. My system just stuck in the cyan screen
    Same problem here, except after installing the xfce metapackage, I've NEVER been able to boot into Xfce.

Help would be appreciated.

/izo\
    Running Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx on: Intel Pentium D 3GHz, 2Gb RAM, ATi X1950 PCI-E.
    See my website

Beans

Just found out that re-installing the xfce metapackage from the repository will 'partly' solve the problem. I can login again into xfce

This time, I play again with compiz, and apparently there was something fishy between compiz, metacity and xfce default WM and maybe with Emerald too. Now, if compiz is enabled, then I logoff, when I login again into xfce, all windows and dialogs will have no title-bar. Also there's no desktop effects. I must use compiz fusion icon to reload the window Manager to put those title-bars back and re-enable desktop effects

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Izobalax View Post
    Same problem here, except after installing the xfce metapackage, I've NEVER been able to boot into Xfce.

Help would be appreciated.

/izo\
    I have the same experience. I was using AptonCd and thought the problem may have been related to that. I had an issue with msttcorefonts needing an additional download. When I have fixed that I will retry the Xubuntu install and let you know

Beans

I found this: http://wiki.xfce.org/faq#xfce_installer
    under the sub-toipc 'Setting up GDM'

If you installed Xfce system-wide and you want to use the GNOME Display Manager (gdm) to start your Xfce session, you will have to create a .desktop file to teach gdm how to start the Xfce session. This is a sample desktop file, Xfce.desktop:

[Desktop Entry]
    Encoding=UTF-8
    Name=Xfce 4.4 Session
    Comment=Use this session to run Xfce 4.4 as your desktop environment
    Exec=/usr/local/bin/startxfce4
    Icon=/usr/local/share/pixmaps/xfce4_xicon1.png
    Type=Application

It is usually enough to simply copy the example file to the Session directory used by gdm; this directory is usually located in /etc/dm/Sessions, /etc/X11/gdm/Sessions, /usr/share/xsessions, /usr/X11/share/gnome/xsessions or some other location, refer to the documentation of your system for details. You need to restart gdm after you created the file.
    And I tried to find the .desktop file inside my hardy installation but found nothing. Do u think that this is probably the cause ?

Beans

Right, just tried XFCE on the internet connected machine. It worked when I installed it a few days ago. Now it is like the machine I updated with my AptOnCD disc.

So is it a problem caused by an update that I got recently? All I know is it used to work and now it doesn't and the thread is only a couple of days old

BTW I found I can do a CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE to get back to the login screen
    Last edited by lipidicman; May 16th, 2008 at 02:30 PM.

Beans

There has just been an update. I can now load XFCE

I also tried
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop
    but that had no effect, telling me I had the latest version

Beans

Every time I get into xfce, all my windows and dialogs have no title bars. I must use fusion-icon to 'reload window manager' to put back the title bars.

Is there an easier way to 'reload window manager' ? with command line perhaps ?

Thx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast