Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [SOLVED] vmware breaks ctrl,alt,super,caps etc keys

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: [SOLVED] vmware breaks ctrl,alt,super,caps etc keys

Originally Posted by jessika-kaos
    There is also a tip posted in the above linked bug report: making sure that a default keyboard is ticked in Preferences > Keyboard. I haven't had any issues since doing that (granted I've only run vmware about 8 hours since then).
    This tip didn't solve this for me.. It may work better, but if I provoke <shift><alt>left/right it makes ctrl sticky in the host.

On possible way to reproduce this is to focus VMWare move the mouse outside of the VMWare window and hit <ctrl><alt>right. If you are lucky the situation may be solved throgh <ctrl>g combination when you have the VMWare window focused and the mouse outside of the VMWare window (mayby only the key g is enough i.e. <ctrl> has gone sticky).

One other tip from the bug refrerence above is to execute
    Code:
    setxkbmap
    in a console window to resolv the temporarly sticky <ctrl> situation.

Beans

I have the same problem but "setxkbmap" doesn't work for me, another problem is VMware a few seconds after starting just disappears. It does this most times but sometimes it just works. I first noticed I lost shift but after restarting ubuntu IT WORKS again but is still can't use ctrl.

I remember a sign when starting VMware which was talking about something with my keyboard, it wanted to lock something

In VMware I can use ctrl and I rebooted the PC several times.

But I still haven't solved

edit: -I'm the only user on this pc with this problem but also the only one who use VMware
    -when VMware disappears, all panels disappears and come back in a second but the icons on my desktop
    -I just tried my arrow-keys, the horizontal also fail but the vertical work fine
    Last edited by toineurlings; December 28th, 2009 at 02:29 PM.

Beans

SOLVED IT! It added a new keyboard with the same options and set it as default for the whole system, it worked.

So it has to do something with the option for the keyboard which is used ad installed. It didn't just worked with plugging in another keyboard at the same time. But.....
    SHITTTTTTTTTTT start VWware and it showed up again, tried it again without VMware and it just works for a very short term (my arrow keys work again)

HUH... sometimes it works for 10 seconds and then it fails again

edit: It's getting stranger and stranger... I can zoom using ctrl+scroll
    Last edited by toineurlings; December 28th, 2009 at 04:29 PM.

Beans

deleted VMware but it's not solved yet

Beans

here they talk about the problem but i -sorry, shift doesn't work- don't see a solution in this story
    http://www.vmware.com/support/ws55/d...ux_longer.html

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by froling View Post
    This tip didn't solve this for me.. It may work better, but if I provoke <shift><alt>left/right it makes ctrl sticky in the host.

On possible way to reproduce this is to focus VMWare move the mouse outside of the VMWare window and hit <ctrl><alt>right. If you are lucky the situation may be solved throgh <ctrl>g combination when you have the VMWare window focused and the mouse outside of the VMWare window (mayby only the key g is enough i.e. <ctrl> has gone sticky).

One other tip from the bug refrerence above is to execute
    Code:
    setxkbmap
    in a console window to resolv the temporarly sticky <ctrl> situation.
    This worked for me!
    ~Fermmy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12