Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Rhythmbox Needs You!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Rhythmbox Needs You!

Right, where to begin

During my first year at college studying networks and software systems one of the projects I had to do was create a simple html website. I chose Rhythmbox because I really love it and because I would like to see if I could do any better. Unfortunately, Web design was not my strong point. I created a simple website. nice looking but it couldn't really replace what is currently there.
    Programming is more my thing.

So first year is over but I still think about the Rhythmbox website and see it as a huge flaw in Rhythmbox's armor. Banshee have a much nicer site but still not the best that can be done.

Whats the problem with the Rhythmbox site? its old. its not designed very well. The content is really, really bad. It has no sense of community. Its not a good place for developer interest etc.

So I thought how can we do something to change this. Hmmmmm... Ubuntu users are creative people. Lets start there.

So the object of this thread is to try and get input from ubuntu users and for the community to create a design.

I have spoken briefly to moch on #rhythmbox about this and he said that if the end product is up to scratch it can be used.

What needs to be done?

*New graphics
    *New design
    *New content(description/words for each corresponding page)
    *Community(Maybe a slick looking page with links to forums, mailing lists, irc and some cool stuff like lastfm widgets for the rhythmbox group on lastfm)

When it comes to graphics keep in mind this is a gnome project not just ubuntu so browns wouldn't be the best option. Tango is a good was to go in terms of color scheme. Bright pastel summer colors would be nice.

So thats its really, if you like rhythmbox and want to help it grow a new site is needed. The easier it is for developers to learn about rhythmbox the better, the broader the community the better the feedback.

P.S. Currently there are no Rhythmbox forums, This is a problem. After the site redesign maybe another thread could be started with a poll on what forum software should be used.
    "The program 'apt-get' is currently not installed. You can install it by typing apt-get install apt" LOL

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: Rhythmbox Needs You!

As far as I am concerned, the design on the page represent the project, old and dead.

Last time I talked to them with suggestions and features to add I got responses like "No, it is already perfect."

No, I was just kidding (not about the "no its perfect-answers" sadly) they do need a refresh on their site. Perhaps step out of those bluish greenish colourscheme that everyone else uses and have something else? Like ubuntu did

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

How 'bout a link to the site for those of us that don't know?

*EDIT* (Although I know I can just launch the application and get it from the About Box, it's still nice to include the link in your initial post so we know that you definitely ARE talking about the software on our systems.)

Beans
    Distro

The Rhythmbox site in question:

http://www.gnome.org/projects/rhythmbox/

These are some other gnome pages which have a good visual design(ideas?)

http://banshee-project.org/Main_Page
    http://www.jokosher.org/
    http://www.gnome.org/projects/cheese/

As for views on irc, well everyone is entitled to their views. A new page would help allot because the atmosphere isn't that great on irc for end users, or just newcomers to the channel in general.
    "The program 'apt-get' is currently not installed. You can install it by typing apt-get install apt" LOL

Beans
    Distro

Thought there would be more interest in this

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Web design is usually work done by a single individual. Have you got any mock-ups or a general direction you can show us that you think we should go? Collaborative efforts like this can get kind of... tractionless.

Beans
    Distro

Well, hmmmmm...... I have several different versions. I might start working on a new stylesheet.

Lets forget about the web design part for the moment and just concentrate on art direction. Anyone want to take a stab at creating art for it like banners background images etc.

My attempt at art for my project was not that great. I just tried to create an up to date banner but its kinda sh+t

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I'd be willing to help out with this...

My expertise tends to be in Drupal theming and Drupal admin (that's what I'm employed doing ) so I tend to be biased in thinking that Drupal might be a good backend direction to go for Rhythmbox's website...

As far as color schemes go, I had a tendacy to lean towards shades of blue... (I think the podcast icon was inspiring that thought).

I tend to agree with Xfcn, that generally the design heavy lifting is best left to one person... but I do think these discussions are good ones to be having because it gives anyone who might become involved with the design and development of the site some more insight on where things should be heading.
    nikkiana @ knit.geek.life

code, document, support
    no matter your ability level, you can contribute too.

Beans
    Distro

I was thinking blue myself, or a nice bright green

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I personally was thinking of trying to match the look and feel of the application itself, but then I remembered we all use different themes and it takes the designs from the themes. I personally use a slightly modified version of the Glossy theme, so I tend to lean towards that, in blue.

Mellow blues, light grays, and I think maybe some very mellow greens would look exceptional.

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast