Thread: "Update Manager" from cli?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

"Update Manager" from cli?

Is there a way to get the full update functionality of the update manager from the cli? I don't really like having to VNC into my server just to click the update button. I tried apt-get upgrade, but there were still a couple packages in the update manager that didn't get handled.

I did set up my update manager to automatically install security updates, though, so that should cut down on critical issues going unpatched for long.

Beans

Re: "Update Manager" from cli?

`apt-get update' and `apt-get safe-upgrade' usually do the whole thing.

i only did it with debian on numerous occasions both never with Ubuntu, i heard something was changed although not sure what exactly, so you might want to google my advice to perform a simple good old
    Code:
    apt-get dist-upgrade

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

EDIT:
    I just ran
    Code:
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -s
    and it said 0 packages to upgrade, so that looks like it won't stomp over everything like I used to think it would.

Quote Originally Posted by songshu View Post
    i only did it with debian on numerous occasions both never with Ubuntu, i heard something was changed although not sure what exactly, so you might want to google my advice to perform a simple good old
    Code:
    apt-get dist-upgrade
    I was under the impression that dist-upgrade would upgrade me from gutsy to hardy. If it doesn't, I'll definitely use that. Reading the man pages for apt-get makes it sound more like it'll just upgrade my packages, not the whole OS, is that right?
    Last edited by talz13; May 13th, 2008 at 08:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by talz13 View Post
    EDIT:
    Reading the man pages for apt-get makes it sound more like it'll just upgrade my packages, not the whole OS, is that right?
    upgrade the packages, that is exactly what it will do,
    and since the complete OS consists of packages there will be little else left.

you would have to adjust the /etc/apt/sources.list so it would say hardy instead of gutsy, but i sort of assumed you already knew that.

once again, i would do this on debian without a doubt,but i never did it with Ubuntu so i can give you no guarantees on this.