Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HOWTO get Hibernate working with Proprietory Nvidia driver (using Suspend2)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

HOWTO get Hibernate working with Proprietory Nvidia driver (using Suspend2)

First of all I have to give my hats off to Griffin3 without which this howto will not be final. In fact you HAVE to follow his HOWTO for suspend2 and make sure suspend2 is working (using the bundled nv driver) FIRST before you attempt getting the proprietory driver working....

Step1. Remove any proprietory Nvidia driver that you have installed. Either with synaptic or otherwise.

Step2. Make sure the driver you are using in xorg.conf is the 'nv' driver that came with Breezy.

Step3. Follow Griffin3's HOWTO till the end. (In Step 7, you might need to use synaptic to install gcc if the apt-get command did not work)

Griffin3's Howto:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...light=suspend2

You should now have a working suspend (really great at that). Test it a few times to make sure it suspends and resumes properly. It should.

Step4. Download the latest driver from Nvidia's website to your home directory.

http://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/L...-7676-pkg1.run

Step5. Logout until you see the login screen. Press ctrl+alt+F1. Login.

Step6. type

Code:
    sudo killall gdm
    Step7. type

Code:
    CC=gcc-3.4
    Code:
    export CC
    Code:
    sudo sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-7676-pkg1.run
    Step8. Before you click 'Accept' press ctrl+alt+F2. Login.

Step9. Type

Code:
    cd /tmp
    then type

Code:
    ls -l
    you should see a list fo all the directories and files there. The installer that is running in console 1 has its files in one of the directories. After doing some searching, you will find one with a directory named NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-7676-pkg1 in it.

cd into the directory, all the way to nv. It would look something like this

/tmp/selfgz7985/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-7676-pkg1/usr/src/nv

you directory name will be different from selfgz7985.... find yours.....

type

Code:
    pico nv.c
    then go down to line 3667 (you can tell the line number by pressing ctrl-c)

when you are on that line press enter. You should now have an empty line 3667. Type

Code:
    case PM_SUSPEND_STANDBY:
    on that line. Press ctrl-o to save the file and ctrl-x to exit pico.

Step10. Press ctrl+alt+F1 you should now be back to the installer page. Click accept and all the other good stuff until it says that it is installed.

Step11. Type sudo pico /etc/X11/xorg.conf and change the driver to 'nvidia' and make sure to add the line

Code:
    	Option 		"NvAgp" 	"1"
    in the device section. Press ctrl+o then ctrl+x.

Step12. Type sudo pico /etc/hibernate/blacklisted-modules and put a # in front of nvidia. It should now look like

Code:
    #nvidia
    press ctrl+o then ctrl+x

Step13. Type reboot. Your machine should now reboot all the way to GDM. (You should have seen the Nvidia logo along the way)

Step14. Login. Test that the hibernate is working by pressing the powerbutton.

Step15.Thats it! Hope you have a working syspend now. Let me know how it goes....

Known Issues:
    1. Hibernate does not allow you to use the consloe while it is working. By pressing ctrl+alt+F1 we get a garbled screen, but pressing ctrl+alt+F7 will always get you back to X.
    Last edited by chanders; October 20th, 2005 at 04:15 AM.

Beans

Re: HOWTO get Hibernate working with Proprietory Nvidia driver (using Suspend2)

Hey chanders, thanks a lot for this howto!

Before I will step in to this I have a question. Is it possible to easily switch back to the nv driver if something will be not working at the end?

Beans

Did you try to make hibernate work with new nvidia 8174 drivers ?
    I tried but it didn't work with the same hack as 7676 drivers but I can have forgottent something or have done something wrong.

For information, I have a Sony VGN-S4HP laptop with a GeForce 6200 and hibernate works with 7676 nvidia drivers.

Beans

then go down to line 3667 (you can tell the line number by pressing ctrl-c)

when you are on that line press enter. You should now have an empty line 3667
    For version 7174 (legacy) NVIDIA driver, change line 3427 instead of line 3667. Should look like:
    Code:
           switch (state) {

case PM_SUSPEND_STANDBY:

case PM_SUSPEND_MEM:

nv_printf(NV_DBG_INFO, "NVRM: ACPI: received suspend event\n");
    See http://wiki.suspend2.net/HardwareCompatibility
    Last edited by oblib; December 10th, 2005 at 10:55 PM.

Beans

This doesn't work for me and I don't know why (obviously, why else would I be here?). When I come back from hibernation, my TV (I'm using TV Out) flicks to some inappropriate frequencies, I assume while the module is loading, and then shows nothing but a solid orange screen. If I kill the Xsession and start again, it works fine. Any ideas?

Also, when I first boot up, it says it cannot find the nvidia module and fails to load X. When I start it manually (startx) it loads just fine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

It doesn't work 4 me. It goes into hibernation fine. But when I turn the computer on, I get a black screen when it should start GDM. And also CTRL+ALT+F? don't work and gives black screen.

If am using the VESA driver all works great. I can use the original SUSPEND&HIBERNATION aswell as SUSPEND2 without any problems.
    Kubuntu 15.10
    Intel Core i5, 8GB RAM, Amd Radeon 7870XT@fglrx
    http://folding.extremeoverclocking.c...shrack&t=37766

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

With the new kernel it doesnt auto mount network drives

Last edited by ashrack; January 3rd, 2006 at 05:41 PM.
    Kubuntu 15.10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

bump
    Kubuntu 15.10

Beans

I have followed Griffin3's guide to the letter, and the same for this one. However, whenever I try to compile and install version 7676 of the nvidia drivers using the .run provided, it throws me an error.

Code:
    ERROR:  Unable to load the kernel module 'nvidia.ko'.  This is most likely because
    the kernel module was built using the wrong kernel source files.  Please make sure
    you have installed the kernel source files for your kernel;  on Red Hat Linux 
    systems, for example, be sure you have the 'kernel-source' rpm installed.  If you 
    know the correct kernel source files are installed, you may specify the kernel source
    path with the '--kernel-source-path' commandline option.
    I tried doing so and pointing it to /usr/src/linux from which I have just compiled the kernel from (using Griffin's guide). Hibernate works fine with the nv driver, though I can't get video to go above 640x480. I have a Geforce4 440 Go 64M on a Compaq Presario r3000 laptop if that makes a difference. I'm doing this from a server install with just x-window-system-core installed, as well as the various packages mentioned in the guides.
    Last edited by pospeselr; January 12th, 2006 at 03:01 AM.

Beans

Cool Re: HOWTO get Hibernate working with Proprietory Nvidia driver (using Suspend2)

I just got this to work using the latest nvidia 1.0-8178 driver, using the same technique,
    the line number for the "CASE PM_SUSPEND_STANDBY:" line in nv.c for the 1.0-8178 driver has changed from line 3667 to line 3856

so, to get this guide to work with the 8178 driver, be sure to change line 3856 instead of 3667

works great on my compax presario r3309ea

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast