Thread: The Arch Challange

Beans
    Hidden!

The Arch Challange

My mum has a friend who is fairly knowledgeable about computers. Well, to be precise, fairly knowledgeable about Windows computers. At one point he was quad-booting Vista Basic, XP Professional, ME and 98, so he knows his way around partitions and suchlike.
    At first, whenever I complained about a problem I was having that has a relatively simple fix (or is just nonexistant) in Windows, he would tell me to use a "proper operating system". Well, after several conversations, and him watching me set up a file/print server (which turned out to be in vain because the Windows drivers for this printer didn't support networking...) for the house, he seems a bit curious about Linix. He is often asking me questions like "Can you get a program to do [x]?" or "Can you run [x] in Linux?".
    I'm thinking of challanging him to install Arch (with me helping when required, of course) because then I'll be able to help him see how Linux can be perfect for him, and he will learn quite a bit about the guts of Linux while doing it.
    Of course, I'll direct him to the beginners guide, post-installation tips, and the Arch Way, but I'll be supervising during the installation (ESPECIALLY during the partitioning bit, I messed that up the first time) and offering help when needed.

So, what do you think? Should I challange him to give Arch a go? He has used Ubuntu - albeit briefly - and seemed to like it, but imo the only way to really get to know Linux is to configure everything yourself (which is exactly why I want to give Gentoo and LFS a proper go over the summer when I have time).
    Website | Blog | The Arch Hurd Project

If you want to ask about something I posted, send a PM, as I don't watch many threads

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: The Arch Challange

What could it hurt? So long as you're available to help him out it shouldn't be too painful and he may really enjoy it.

Beans
    Hidden!

That's what I'm hoping. Judging from his computers he likes to fiddle around with everything he can, so an OS that actually lets him fiddle around with everything and not just 'pseudo-everything' would be the next logical step.

If you want to ask about something I posted, send a PM, as I don't watch many threads

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Barrucadu View Post
    That's what I'm hoping. Judging from his computers he likes to fiddle around with everything he can, so an OS that actually lets him fiddle around with everything and not just 'pseudo-everything' would be the next logical step.
    Sounds like Arch will suit him well. Most of the reson I decided to use it myself was my love of tinkering with things. Ubuntu works just fine for me, but when I got the itch to find out how the guts really work I switched to Arch.

Let us know how it goes!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Challenge him.
    I would love to see the outcome, and another Arch / Linux user
    "Security lies within the user of who runs the system. Think smart, live safe." - Dr Small
    Linux User #441960 | Wiki: DrSmall

Beans

First give him Ubuntu/Linux mint and then only give him Arch.

If Arch is going to be his first intro to linux he is going to think it sux to be honest.

Beans

Yeah give it first Ubuntu or tell or show him the easiness. Then make way for the ArchLinux!

Beans
    Hidden!

Irritatingly, I haven't really seen him much since posting this.

Beans

you can lead a horse to water, but it's pretty much up to the worse whether he sinks or swims.