i don't think so, looking at the specs->
there is no way you going to get any ubuntu on that.
This page gives an overview of all ThinkPad 380D related topics.
* One of the following processors:
o Intel Pentium 150 CPU
o Intel Pentium MMX 150 CPU
* Neomagic MagicGraph128ZV with 1.125MB
o 12.1" DSTN display with 800x600 resolution
o 12.1" TFT display with 800x600 resolution
* 16MB memory standard
* 1.35 or 2.1GB HDD
* CS4236B Audio controller
* 1.44MB FDD (non-removable)
* CD-ROM drive (non-removable)
* IrDA 1.1
* (2) Type II, or (1) Type III PCMCIA slot
your best bet, for a decent looking os would be->
which is specially made for stuff like that.
there's more i got to look them up though.