View Poll Results: Did this work for you?

Voters
154. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, and I'm running a 32-bit OS

114 74.03%
  • No, and I'm running a 32-bit OS

28 18.18%
  • No, and I'm running 64-bit OS

12 7.79%
Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Atheros AR5007EG wireless

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

HOWTO: Atheros wireless, including AR5007EG

As of Intrepid Ibex (Ubuntu 8.10), this HOWTO is considered obsolete. Please use this wiki page instead. Credit goes to eks for pointing this out.
    Last edited by bmartin; April 20th, 2009 at 02:02 PM. Reason: Removed obsolete instructions

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: HOWTO: Atheros AR5007EG wireless

I could be wrong but the madwifi patch is just for 32-bit. Unless they have a new HAL which is what I thought read was the problem.
    If I don't reply to something, just PM me and let me know, college can be trying at times.
    Fly me to the moon and let me play among the stars

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by fissionmailed View Post
    I could be wrong but the madwifi patch is just for 32-bit. Unless they have a new HAL which is what I thought read was the problem.
    My mistake. I'll fix my message and link to another HOWTO.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Would this work with my ar5000?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Snappo View Post
    Would this work with my ar5000?
    As long as you're using a 32-bit OS, it should. AFAIK, MadWiFi has worked with almost all Atheros wireless chipsets for quite some time. The AR5007EG was a notable exception; my girlfriend has that chipset in her laptop. It has been painful, even with NDISwrapper.

I tried to change the title to reflect the fact that the MadWiFi drivers should work with any 32-bit *buntu... apparently I can only change the title of the first post.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I used a fix based on the same tarball, posted recently by Tom-X, but it said to disable Atheros Hardware Access Layer (HAL), which I did. My ar5007eg card now works nicely, but when I try to suspend or hibernate my laptop, the screen goes black, fills with code and freezes until I shut the computer down. Is that a problem for people using this fix by bmartin as well? His now-outmoded ndiswrapper fix for the same wifi card was once used and loved by millions of very feisty and gutsy people, so it seems reasonable to expect that this new fix will work better than the one I'm using, or that somebody on this thread will post a solution to the suspend problem. Anyone?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Alfred_McGee View Post
    when I try to suspend or hibernate my laptop, the screen goes black, fills with code and freezes until I shut the computer down. Is that a problem for people using this fix by bmartin as well?
    I can try performing a suspend or a hibernate on the laptop when I get home, to see if I'm having the same problem. I'll get back to you on that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfred_McGee View Post
    His now-outmoded ndiswrapper fix for the same wifi card was once used and loved by millions of very feisty and gutsy people
    I wouldn't say it's outmoded. AFAIK, 64-bit users can't use the patched MadWiFi. I would also guess that you could try using NDISwrapper, and if it solves your problems, you might want to stick with it.

Using NDISwrapper in Hardy, my girlfriend's wireless performance was flaky, at best, whereas it was fine in Feisty and Gutsy. Hardy has so many hardware support improvements that I don't think I'll be reverting to Gutsy or Feisty any time soon.

Beans

Just a quick thanks, I've been trying to get my Toshiba Equium P200-1ED to get the wifi working for weeks now, then I found this thread and it was working by the end of the first post!

My thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Hi,

I want to ask, does this code work on my Amil A1650G? Becouse i'm trying all week to work my wireless, but still nothing.
    I'm new on Ubuntu and just don't know any code.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by bmartin View Post
    As long as you're using a 32-bit OS, it should. AFAIK, MadWiFi has worked with almost all Atheros wireless chipsets for quite some time. The AR5007EG was a notable exception; my girlfriend has that chipset in her laptop. It has been painful, even with NDISwrapper.

I tried to change the title to reflect the fact that the MadWiFi drivers should work with any 32-bit *buntu... apparently I can only change the title of the first post.
    I run a 32 bit system and it failed to work.

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast