Thread: [Howto] Setup multimedia shortcut keys to work Amarok / Kaffeine under Gnome.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

[Howto] Setup multimedia shortcut keys to work Amarok / Kaffeine under Gnome.

When I started using Amarok back with Dapper Drake I could use the play/pause/next/previous buttons on the front of my laptop to control playback.

When I upgraded to Feisty Fawn this was broken and has been since (the problem lies with Amarok who are reluctant to fix a Gnome specific issue).

I created a script some time ago that fixes this issue. Using this script Amarok can now again use the multimedia shortcut buttons as defined in the Gnome "System/Prefrences/Keyboard Shortcuts" menu.

I also now have a script for the Kaffeine movie player.

This will work for multimedia keys on laptops and multimedia keyboards alike under Feisty, Gusty and Hardy.

The two scripts are available from my website and the Amarok script can be installed directly from Amarok's inbuilt script manager. Its called "Gnome Media Keys".

Hope you find this useful and let me know if there are any other players with similar issues and I'll have a go at fixing them too.
    Registered Linux User: 443527 | Registered Ubuntu User: 12253 | Last.fm profile
    Dell Inspiron 9300 | Pentium M 730 @ 2.27 GHz | GeForce 6800

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: [Howto] Setup multimedia shortcut keys to work Amarok / Kaffeine under Gnome.

Link is down
    Core 2 Duo E8400 | GA-EP45-DS3R | 2x2GB G.Skill NT DDR2-800 | Gigabyte HD4850 512MB | 2x WD Caviar SE16 500GB (Raid 0), WD Caviar Green 1TB | Seasonic S12+ 650W | Lian Li PC-A07B w/ Noctua NF-S12's & NF-R8 | LG 22" 2ms

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala
    seems to be working fine for me...? what file are you after? PM me and i can email it if you want.
    Last edited by BrowneR; May 23rd, 2008 at 02:27 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: [Howto] Setup multimedia shortcut keys to work Amarok / Kaffeine under Gnome.

Just tried it again then and it worked fine, however I used a link to it on some KDE site in one of your other post. Thanks very much Amarok is much nicer though you can really tell it's designed for KDE!
    Core 2 Duo E8400 | GA-EP45-DS3R | 2x2GB G.Skill NT DDR2-800 | Gigabyte HD4850 512MB | 2x WD Caviar SE16 500GB (Raid 0), WD Caviar Green 1TB | Seasonic S12+ 650W | Lian Li PC-A07B w/ Noctua NF-S12's & NF-R8 | LG 22" 2ms