Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to Remove Ubuntu?!

Beans

How to Remove Ubuntu?!

Hi guys, I just installed Ubuntu on my Toshiba satellite laptop, but the wi-fi wasn't working on it, so I want to remove it, but can't see how. I am running the latest version: 8.04, but do not have the Windows Vista disc that should have came with my computer. Is there any way to fully remove it?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: How to Remove Ubuntu?!

the way you remove ubuntu is by installing over it. There is no other way around it. Since you dont have the windows disk that is a bit more difficult. Post the output of
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    Maybe the manufacture left a recovery partition on your harddrive.
    Desktop: Q6600 OC: 343 x 9, 4 GB RAM, 8600 GTS Twinview (22",17"), 1.5 TB RAID 5
    Laptop: Lenovo T61 T7300 @ 2 GHz, 2GB RAM, Nvidia 140M Quadro, 160 GB harddrive
    Remember to mark posts as [SOLVED] when your problem is resolved

Inxsible is offline Badabing Badabang Badaboom...Sucker!
    Beans

Put the live CD in and then use GParted on the live CD to simply erase the Ubuntu partition and then re merge it to Vista if you want.

You will have to fix the mbr or you can also use SuperGrub to fix your grub entries again.
    Shed that weight!! -- Apps | Window Managers

Arch + i3 (tty1) Arch + wmfs (tty2)

Beans

well if you were to just delete the ubuntu partition, GRUB would stop working and you wouldnt be able to boot into vista.

i have heard of people restoring the default vista bootloader without the original vista cd but i cant remember how (it is definatly possible though)

EDIT: oops, i should have refreshed the page before responding

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

woah, woah. completely removing ubuntu is not the best way to go about things. why not let us help you fix wifi? my guess is you just have to do some config with your wifi system to get it to work, and besides, if you don't have the vista disk on hand, then you'll have to download the iso and burn it to a disk anyway, which will require internet access on ubuntu (unless you have another computer set up, which I assume you do since you're posting on this forum).

if you can, run these commands in the terminal (applications > accessories > terminal, if you don't know), and post the output, and we can start helping you fix your wifi.

Code:
    lshw -C network
    Code:
    ifconfig
    Code:
    dmesg | tail -n 50
    EDIT: this is all assuming that you would want to fix your wifi instead of erase your system.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by mbarvian View Post
    Hi guys, I just installed Ubuntu on my Toshiba satellite laptop, but the wi-fi wasn't working on it, so I want to remove it, but can't see how. I am running the latest version: 8.04, but do not have the Windows Vista disc that should have came with my computer. Is there any way to fully remove it?
    Yes. You can remove it.

Do you still have Vista on the HD (i.e. dual-boot)?

If yes - install EasyBCD (http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1)

This will restore the Vista bootloader.

Then you can just boot from the Ubuntu LiveCD and use Partition Editor (GParted) to delete the Ubuntu partition.

If no - then you can still remove Ubuntu, but Vista won't be there either.

PS: This assumes you did a full install, and did not use Wubi to install within Windows.

PPS: Did you want to try to get wifi working in Ubuntu?

Beans

OK, I guess I shouldn't jump to conclusions trying to remove it instantly (although it would be nice). This is the wi-fi problem: when I click on the two computers at the top right, it opens up a Connections manager thing (again, very new to Ubuntu). However, everything is listed as it should be there is no Wireless tab. How do I fix this?

Beans

well firstly dont expect to learn a brand new OS right away, secondly have patience.
    I am sure we may have a solution to your wireless issue if you give us time
    HOME BUILT SYSTEM! http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22804/ Please vote up!
    remember kiddies: sudo rm -rf= BAD!, if someone tells you to do this, please ignore them unless YOU WANT YOUR SYSTEM WIPED

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

It's really hard to diagnose the problem without knowing some info about your hardware. if you could post the output of the commands I placed in my last post, it'll help us help you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by mbarvian View Post
    OK, I guess I shouldn't jump to conclusions trying to remove it instantly (although it would be nice). This is the wi-fi problem: when I click on the two computers at the top right, it opens up a Connections manager thing (again, very new to Ubuntu). However, everything is listed as it should be there is no Wireless tab. How do I fix this?
    We need a bit more info...

Is it a USB or internal wifi card?

In Terminal (see link below if you don't know how), copy / paste the commands john91 suggested, and post results back here.

Also:
    Code:
    lspci

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast