Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: install 32 bit 8.04 on 64 bit amd arch.

Beans

Re: install 32 bit 8.04 on 64 bit amd arch.

I can not install flashplayer 9
    i have flashplugin-nonfree with 64bit and it works great

Beans

some how I got to the commandline, it asked for my login and password, then it gave me a terminal like prompt xxxx@xxxx $, I then put in the code sent to me. The screen came up this time with a black and white mesh instead but no icons or graphics. Still at A loss
    Last edited by infoanalysis; May 13th, 2008 at 07:50 AM.

Beans

I installed the nsXXXXXwrapper but that did not work - but now Iam back to32 bits and having trouble getting the desktop to comeup anyway

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dstin1 View Post
    Here is a guide for flash and 64 bit. I'm not sure how it works as I have a 32 bit machine.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...74#post4822974
    I tried that install and it still did not take, so I am back to 32 bit install- I really think as an ABT novice I should KIS and stay with 32 bits according what I have read on this board.
    Last edited by infoanalysis; May 13th, 2008 at 07:38 AM.

Beans

You would better use 64-bit edition, but normally 32 bit boot cd should run. For me that hapenned once with orginal Cd. Fun thing is that cd started and stoped when ubuntu was nearly load. My processor is amd 64. And moreover it worked fine with vmware. So I thing that is somekind bugh

Beans

I tried that install and it still did not take, so I am back to 32 bit install- I really think as an ABT novice I should KIS and stay with 32 bits according what I have read on this board
    i dont understand what the hell they are talking about removing nspluginwrapper (because i still have it and i have never done things they say to do, i simply installed flash and it works)

what i did to get flash9 working was much much simpler

first you have to remove all other flash players you may have installed
    so go to Synaptic and search for theese flash players and uncheck them if you see them (gnash , swfdec , and flashplugin-nonfree) then click apply to remove them

then in synaptic search for nspluginwrapper and put a check nexxt to it and hit apply (sinse they had you remove it)

next simply install the working flashplugin-nonfree for linux
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree
    and flash shoud be working

i have no idea why they would tell you to use remove nspluginwrapper in the first place (or why they would have you make the symbolick links you made)

from a clean install the only thing you would ever have to do to get flash working right from the start is this
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree
    NOTHING ELSE it works great with64bit
    Last edited by tjwoosta; May 13th, 2008 at 06:19 PM.

Beans

ok, So I will go back to 64 bit install - how do you bring up synaptic?
    I also had to put in all_generic_ide in the boot line to get the 64 install to work ( and then later in the menu.lst to makeit permanent)
    Last edited by infoanalysis; May 13th, 2008 at 07:36 PM.

Beans

ok, So I will go back to 64 bit install - how do you bring up synaptic?
    System-Administration-Synaptic Package Manager

I also had to put in all_generic_ide in the boot line to get the 64 install to work ( and then later in the menu.lst to makeit permanent)
    ??? i have no idea about that (ive never heard of such a thing, maybe this has something to do with why they told you remove the nspluginprapper ?)

all i know for sure is that to make flash work in 64 bit all i did was install flashplugin-nonfree like i showed you, and nothing else (it simply worked)

Beans

The thing is though its not impossible to run the 32bit kernel in a 64bit environment, I have seen it done many times...
    HOME BUILT SYSTEM! http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22804/ Please vote up!
    remember kiddies: sudo rm -rf= BAD!, if someone tells you to do this, please ignore them unless YOU WANT YOUR SYSTEM WIPED

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tjwoosta View Post
    System-Administration-Synaptic Package Manager

??? i have no idea about that (ive never heard of such a thing, maybe this has something to do with why they told you remove the nspluginprapper ?)

all i know for sure is that to make flash work in 64 bit all i did was install flashplugin-nonfree like i showed you, and nothing else (it simply worked)
    free at last... at least for the short term from the opression of xp! Needless to say your help with the flash plugin did the trick. I can't say how grateful I am for your help after five days of pulling my hair out, I am on my way.

John

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast