Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: install 32 bit 8.04 on 64 bit amd arch.

Beans

install 32 bit 8.04 on 64 bit amd arch.

After finally getting the 64 bit 8.04 to boot up, I come to learn that it is loaded with media problems.

SO now after all that I am going to attempt to build a 32 bit kernel running on 64 bit arch. The standard 32 bit iso download failed to boot up after several attempts I resorted to the 64 bit version which worked ok. How can I get 32 bit to run on a 64 bit platform? IS there a choice in the 64 bit cd boot that permits me to partiton the drive for 32 bit and run the 64 amd as 32 bit?

Beans

Re: install 32 bit 8.04 on 64 bit amd arch.

i have had both 32 bit and 64 bit installed before on my computer (usually the 32bit cd should boot)

but i have been using hte 64bit version lately

what media problems have you been having? i seem to have none

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I agree with tjwoosta, the 32 bit cd should boot. Try buring the cd image again at a lower speed. Or perhaps you have a corrupt cd image. I know that on one of my computers cd burners, quality of the burn degrades quickly as speed increases. One of my ubuntu burns at high speeds refused to boot. When I burned it around the 12x area however, it worked just fine.
    Intel core 2 quad q9300 2.5 Ghz
    8 GB DDR2 800 RAM
    500 GB SATA HD
    NVidia GForce 9800 GTX+

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I don't think you will be able to drop in a 32bit kernel on a 64bit install.

If you can't sort out your media problems on 64bit, you may want to re-download the 32bit iso and make sure that the download is correct (use the torrent download). It's possible that your first 32bit download was corrupt and that's why it didn't install.
    Don't try to make something "fast" until you are able to quantify "slow".

Inxsible is offline Badabing Badabang Badaboom...Sucker!
    Beans

what speed did you burn the 32 bit version at?

Recommended speeds are 4X or less, although I have burnt at 24X and it has still worked. also did you download it off of ubuntu.com or some other mirror?
    Shed that weight!! -- Apps | Window Managers

Arch + i3 (tty1) Arch + wmfs (tty2)

Beans

I can not install flashplayer 9

Beans

Using a 32-bit kernel on 64-bit install, I do not think will work.

I have an Athlon X2 (64-bit), but I've never used a 64-bit OS because I didn't want to deal with getting things working. You just won't have the advantage of having a 64-bit processor.
    I do not use Ubuntu any more, nor have I ever used Gnome. Therefore, I tend to give advice that is distro- and DE-agnostic, which, while perhaps not the easiest way, will allow you to move freely between machines.

Beans

I reburned a cd i386.iso at 4x, the same thing happened: mouse pointer works, bronze screen with a 3/8 white line at the top and the botton- but no usuable desktop with bird and mozilla icon - just a blank screen. It seems like it is having video card problems? I am running a ge force 6200 NVIDIA. The install did work fine with 64x86 remember- it was just that it is too burdensome to get the media flashplayer up and running, but the 64x86 install recognizes the card. What can I do now?

Beans

What about if you don't use the proprietary drivers?

Press alt+f2 when booting, then try this:
    Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg
    startx
    This is assuming that you've installed it, not running off the CD. If you are, have you tried the safe graphics option?
    I do not use Ubuntu any more, nor have I ever used Gnome. Therefore, I tend to give advice that is distro- and DE-agnostic, which, while perhaps not the easiest way, will allow you to move freely between machines.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by infoanalysis View Post
    I can not install flashplayer 9
    Here is a guide for flash and 64 bit. I'm not sure how it works as I have a 32 bit machine.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...74#post4822974
    Last edited by dstin1; May 13th, 2008 at 07:07 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast