Thread: ALC883 Digital Channel not working

Beans

ALC883 Digital Channel not working

I'm very new to Linux/Ubuntu, just installed 8.04, and I can't get the digital channel on my ALC883 onboard audio to work. The analog (in the back and the headphones) works and the OS recognizes my card if I go to System/Preferences/Sound, but I can't get any signal out of the optical or composite digital outs. I've checked the levels in alsamixer and it lists all the surround sound channels.

I have tried this and I am considering trying OSS v4.0 instead of ALSA.

Anyone have any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: ALC883 Digital Channel not working

Have you unmute the digital channel in alsa-mixer? I found that the default behavior (after fresh install) is mute.

Open alsa-mixer, menu > preferences. Select the checkbox for IEC958. A new tab should appear in the alsa-mixer main window. In the tab, there is another checkbox for IEC958. Select this one, and the digital channel should now be unmuted.

Beans

I don't see where you found the "menu -> preferences." When I open alsa-mixer (either via terminal or by installing the gui), there are no menus, just all of the channels and their volume.

Beans

I got it to work. I didn't find the menu, but I was able to "unmute" it through the GUI, just not in terminal. Thanks for your help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Oops, I didn't realize there is a terminal version of alsamixer. Glad it works for you now.