Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: cannot burn DVD+R with SATA DVD Writer

Beans

Re: cannot burn DVD+R with SATA DVD Writer

i do not think that this k3b bug is related to a specific hardware but to a software bug. I have the exact same problem: k3B either quits with the generic "write error" or produces a corrupt disc. This is in kubuntu 8.04 and happends with a NEC ide burner and also with a LiteOn SATA burner.

I have installed in wine a programm called IMGBURN and it works without any problems (at least there is no need to switch operating systems just to burn a CD).

&wP*!) is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sjalex76 View Post
    Are you sure this problem is limited to your hardware? Google "DRDY", and you might find that many people also have similar problems with other SATA devices (hard drives as well as DVD) that cropped up in late kernels and are not present under other OSs. Unless you have some means of ruling out the possibilities of these other issues being the same issue or at least related, it might not be appropriate to be so proprietary about this thread.
    Hi sjalex, there are several hardware products which produce the same error. If several different products produce the same error, does not mean they have the same problem. The cause can be one of the 1000 different things. Exception handling is a wide topic in Linux operating system for the complexity of hardware these days.

The Linux kernel developer confirmed my sentence above in the Linux Kernel Bug I have opened for this hardware:
    http://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=10743

I am Utku who opened the Linux kernel bug page. If you look at our discussion there, linux kernel driver for VT6420 does not support correctly this hardware. This is specific for this product. The developer suggested that each different hardware product must have its own bug page.

Similary we must handle different threads in Ubuntu Forums or anywhere else on internet, so that we keep the information on internet cleanly to remedy information pollution. Redundant and disorganized information is the biggest issue in Linux threads. If you look at Ubuntu forum postings in other discussions you will get what I mean. This is a handicap for open software, makes difficult/time consuming to access correct information and to inform hardware vendor, because hardware developers also use our information to improve Linux support of hardware products.

Therefore I suggest all forum members not to use this thread for the bugs/issues seen in hardware products other than GH20NS10.
    Last edited by &wP*!); July 30th, 2008 at 09:37 AM. Reason: typo, cleaner expression

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by miciurin View Post
    i do not think that this k3b bug is related to a specific hardware but to a software bug.
    In the Kernel Bug page below the Linux kernel developer thinks that it is related to the kernel:
    http://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=10743
    This is not a K3B bug. This is a Linux kernel bug.

I have the exact same problem: k3B either quits with the generic "write error" or produces a corrupt disc. This is in kubuntu 8.04 and happends with a NEC ide burner and also with a LiteOn SATA burner.
    This thread addresses SATA protocol problems, so your IDE burner is out of question.

LiteOn SATA burner can have different hardware, which is not supported by Linux kernel and might be different than GH20NS10, the only hardware discussed in this thread.

I have installed in wine a programm called IMGBURN and it works without any problems (at least there is no need to switch operating systems just to burn a CD).
    Combination of Wine and Linux might not show a kernel bug, because Wine might be using Windows resources to burn hardware.

Therefore your setups are not relevant in this thread discussion.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pencuse View Post
    Utku: Therefore I suggest all forum members not to use this thread for the bugs/issues seen in hardware products other than GH20NS10.
    Don't you think, that it would be better to concentrate not on one certain hardware model, but instead on perhaps a product line of one certain company, like LG. Since probably they use similar chip sets and firmware in their product lines ?
    I have LG GSA-H62N SATA DVD WRITER and suffer from this problem as well, as written before.
    Last edited by thommykane; July 30th, 2008 at 10:36 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by thommykane View Post
    Don't you think, that it would be better to concentrate not on one certain hardware model, but instead on perhaps a product line of one certain company, like LG. Since probably they use similar chip sets and firmware in their product lines ?
    I have LG GSA-H62N SATA DVD WRITER and suffer from this problem as well, as written before.
    Hi Thommykane, basically you are right to say that all LG products can be covered in this thread. However I have 3 points to object to this:

1. Kernel developer also did not recommend to use the same Kernel bug of LG GH20NS10 for your hardware (GSA-H62). For more information, see the discussion in the bug thread.
    2. The Linux bug for GH20NS10 DVD Writer is not trivial. I am discussing with the developer for 1,5 months, and has been tested in a wide range of combinations and setups of distributions and applcations. It is being discussed in a wide spectrum of aspects and therefore when addressing other hardware, it will be very difficult to identify the issues for GH20NS10.
    3. A company might not use the same electronics in different products for a certain application. That means, my GH20NS10 and your GSA-H62N might have different hardware. Companies like LG give very little information about the internal electronics of their products (as it can be seen in the datasheets below) but kernel developer also confirms that the problems seen in your hardware are different than the ones in my hardware.

Here are the datasheets of these DVD Writers from the same company:
    GH20NS10 datasheet
    GSA-H62N datasheet

Response times, buffer capacity etc. the same but I still insist that the electronics might be different.

Therefore I propose to separate the topics of different hardware and not to use one for several, even if they belong to the same vendor.
    Last edited by &wP*!); July 30th, 2008 at 01:10 PM.

Beans

Kernel developer mentioned in the Linux kernel bug report that the next patch which fixes the problem of the SATA DVD Writer GH20NS10 will be implemented in 2.6.28.

Until then, no workaround is available.

Beans

Has anyone tried the LG GH20NS10 SATA DVD writer to see if it works with the new 2.6.28 kernel?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gcshum View Post
    Has anyone tried the LG GH20NS10 SATA DVD writer to see if it works with the new 2.6.28 kernel?
    I doubt it does. According to the discussions between exercisers and the OS developer in the Kernel Bug page stated that even 2.6.28 did not solve the problem.

Intrepid Ibex has now 2.6.27-xx. The fastest way to test 2.6.28 is to take a rolling-release distro like Arch Linux but Arch Linux is time-consuming to set up. I have one but out-dated. I need time to test it, which I do not have at the moment.

Stay tuned.

Beans

It is very strange. My friend installed Ibex and this drive works fine for him. I believe Ibex uses 2.24.27 kernel. I'm still on Hardy. But since Jackalope is coming soon. I'll wait for it.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234