Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Linux Actually better for Me?

Beans

Re: Is Linux Actually better for Me?

I personally can't imagine anything but a dual-boot now. It's especially sweet with a shared partition (I use FAT 32 but NTFS and ext2 are also doable).

It's the best of both worlds!

Microsoft's anti-piracy policy is what really began driving me away more than anything. I've failed authentication for cheesy little upgrades like adding significantly more RAM or a new video card. The last straw was failing after a CPU failure necessitated a new CPU.

I've never had to call Ubuntu no matter how many times I break stuff or change things!

Beans

well why use ubuntu when its not suited to you. There is plenty of other linux out there.

When i migrated, i found my first love in opensuse, and the KDE environment. I dont like the new kde environment as much, but it is more polished and better on ram.

As for programs and such~ I love having most of my stuff opensource. I dont have to hassle with useless trialware, or limited access. As well, if something goes wrong, its easy to diagnose.

For me though, a integral part of why I use ubuntu is the fact that its goal is to benefit humanity in a real way, and its drive is not the corperate dollar. That is something you cannot emulate in windows. As well the community is much more united, and helpful than anywhere Ive been. Windows forums, everybody seems to have no clue about why a problem occurs, and in mac, everyone seems to be in there own little iWorld, and the real questions and problems are never addressed, or just censored.

The only time i miss windows, is if I want to play a new game... however i mostly do emulation, and cards, so that doesnt bother me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Keep in mind that Windows and the *nix's work in fundamentally different ways. While Ubuntu may not have impressed you immediately by being "Windows, but better", you may find after giving it a bit more opportunity that there are other things you hadn't even thought of before that lead you to prefer it. I know this was the case with myself. When I first started experimenting with various GNU/Linux distrobutions, I was expecting an experience similar to Windows, but perhaps prettier or faster. I was disappointed initially in that my experience was nothing like Windows. Fast forward two years... I would rather get a root canal than run Windows. I love the simplicity and modularity of a Unix-based system, I love the elegance of the Gnome and xfce GUI's, I love the community, and I love the wide variety of well-written and well-documented software. Others may or may not feel the same way, but I guess the moral of my story is "don't be too quick to give up on it"

As for your specific application concerns: gedit is fine for most things, but not great. Bluefish is pretty awesome, and is more code-oriented than gedit.

While I can't think of a single Linux program that does exactly what ifranview does, you could probably get the same result using a few smaller programs. If you can't live without it, it seems like the kind of thing that would wine well : )

I'm sure you could find solutions to your other application issues as well. In the end, you may decide that you still like Windows better, and that's certainly fine! But I honestly think you would be doing yourself a favor to go with Ubuntu.
    Either way, happy computing to you : )

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

oops
    Last edited by ladr0n; May 11th, 2008 at 08:11 PM. Reason: double post

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by SunnyRabbiera View Post
    2000 is my favorite windows OS
    Mine too. My guilty secret is that I still use it on a standalone music PC.....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

W2K was and is outstanding, so much so that I run it in Ubuntu using VirtualBox.

Reasons I left Windows and XP. That thing is bug ridden and so prone to virii, worms, trojans, etc. I put a DVD in my XP machine and started to open some files that a friend had given me. He doesn't use anti-virus so my machine got promptly infected. It was horrible! I coulda killed him but wound up killing the XP install instead. Had to start from scratch. No restore or removal of the virii would work.

That was when I said enough is enough, let's check out this Ubuntu thing. That was in April. I'm so happy I could freaking cry. Oh, and one of the best things? The Ubuntu forums. Uber cool people who are always there to help or lend a suggestion to get around whatever problem you're facing.

Linux is good, Ubuntu makes it great!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Is Linux Actually better for Me?
    ultimately it is your decision. i find though, that after a while of using linux only, you begin to miss windows and the 'essential' apps that you used with it less and less. there is almost always an alternative, and though some may not be as refined as their windows equivalents, with a bit of perseverance and learning, can be used to the same effect. you may even, after a while of use, discover that in actual fact, they are superior in some ways! occasionally i read about, or see in practice, this or that application in windows that i think may be exactly what i need, but i have never been that inclined to go back to windows for such a singular use.

at the end of the day, it is entirely up to you, and if you stay with windows, then good luck. but if you want to really realise the full benefits of linux, use it exclusively for a while, and see how the world is without windows. you can always reinstall it again if you miss it that much!
    Last edited by smoker; May 11th, 2008 at 09:06 PM. Reason: s
    Linux user #435981 / Ubuntu user #9751

"...when i hear the voices, i ignore them, and do something constructive, like play with my ubuntu..."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I've been using Ubuntu for 2 weeks and I love it! I dual-boot both Ubuntu and Windows XP Pro, but I'm mainly on Ubuntu I don't know what it is, but I just really enjoy using Linux. I even made Windows appear as a Linux-look alike. The main features I like from Ubuntu is the appearence and the fact that you can change the whole environment. It's also really easy to download the files you want. I'll admit, it took me awhile to get used to not being able to use Windows programs, but once I found all the alternate open source programs that I wanted, I was good to go. I also really like the desktop cube Pretty sweet if you ask me.

But yes, as many people have stated, Linux is not for everyone.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Ubuntu seems a better operating system than Windows. Faster, easier to use, more secure. Windows has more applications. Given that the purpose of an OS is to run apps, that's a real advantage.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by gn2 View Post
    Mine too. My guilty secret is that I still use it on a standalone music PC.....
    Why not mythbuntu?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast