Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Working Aero theme for ubuntu (Hardy Heron)

Beans

Re: Working Aero theme for ubuntu (Hardy Heron)

Quote Originally Posted by Rukaru View Post
    I read about the compositing support stuff...but I'm still a little confused. Do most mid-range 2006 desktops come with it?
    Compositing is a way the windows manager renders stuff on the desktop. If you have Compiz enabled (System -> Preferences -> Appearance -> Desktop Effects tab - any of the options other than 'disabled' will work), then you have compositing enabled.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I just setup my wife's Ubuntu 8.04 machine to look like the Aero theme with different things.

Here is the list under Appearance Preferences:

1. Background - Anything you like.

2. Fonts from top to bottom Sans 10, Sans 10, Sans 10, Sans Bold 10, and Monospace 10.

3. Interface - Show icons in menus is checked.

4. Visual Effects - None since she is using a laptop.

5. Theme - Click customize

6. Controls - Aero-Clone

7. Colors - Didn't change

8. Window Border - LiNsta3

9. Icons - nuoveXT-aero

10. Pointer aero-drop

Like I said I took bits and pieces from different things. I borrowed some from this great post too.

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/howto-make...ows-vista.html

If you can't drag and drop things into Appearance Preference and get them to install then you will most likely have to extract them and install them manually.

I added a picture of what it looks like. Hope it helps. The only thing is no dock.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    My System: Ubuntu : 8.04 AMD64, Motherboard : GA-K8NSC-939 F8, Processor : AMD Athlon 64 3700+, Memory : 1GB, Video Card : Nvidia Geforce 7600 GS AGP 512 MB, Sound Card : Built In

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by warbread View Post
    To put it simply, a GTK theme will change almost everything that a windows decorator (Metacity, Emerald, Kwin, etc.) wouldn't change. A windows decorator will change the status bar at the top of your windows and the close, maximize and minimize buttons and this is probably what you're looking for in a Vista theme. If you are using Compiz, you might want to look into getting Emerald installed as that will give you lots of Vista-ish themes. There are a few for Metacity as well.

GTK will change the color of your toolbars, scrollbars, status bars, drop down menus, etc. GTK 2 themes are what you want. Play around with different combinations. Download GTK 2, Metacity and Emerald themes and mix and match until you're happy. You've got nothing to lose but time and hard drive space!
    Ok yeah....emerald and mettacity....how do you get those? Let's start with emerald.

Beans

You have metacity. It's the default for Gnome and it uses less resources than Emerald. Despite loving eye candy and Compiz in specific, I don't use Emerald for just this reason, even on my high end systems. It messes with the GIMP.

Emerald is easy.

Code:
    :-$ sudo apt-get install emerald
    Then you need to get the themes. For some reason, they're not in the repos anymore (at least I think so - has this changed for Hardy?) You can download them from the last link at the bottom of this page. Double click on it to install.

Then, press ALT + F2 and type in:

Code:
    emerald --replace
    You now have a slew of Emerald themes, at least one of which looks like Vista, I'm sure. Gnome-look.org should have other Emerald themes to install.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by inportb View Post
    If you have compositing support, AWN is a nice dock.
    You don't need a good graphics card for compositing (you don't even need compiz). If your graphics card can't run compiz (ie very old), you can make metacity (the default, ugly window manager) run in compositing mode by: running gconf-editor, then, within gconf editor go to apps > metacity > general and tick compositing_manager. Now you can run AWN with metacity.
    Server: 2.2GHz Athlon 64; 4GB; 2TB; Debian 5 x64
    LividEmperor: 3.3GHz i5 2500K; 8GB; 660GB; Ubuntu 10.10 x64 + Windows 7 x64
    Netbook1: 1.6GHz Atom; 2GB; 160GB; Ubuntu 10.10 x86
    Dogeatdog: 3GHz Phenom II; 3GB; 1TB; Windows 7 x64

Beans

I use an Aero theme which I modified to suit my eyes as they like the dark I'm also using the Artwiz-boxed theme which only effects my title bars & the menu.

All of this is happening in Arch/Openbox/xfce4-panel .
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12