Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Working Aero theme for ubuntu (Hardy Heron)

Beans

Arrow Working Aero theme for ubuntu (Hardy Heron)

I need a good theme....like an aero theme or something. I've seen a few (all from gnome-look), but none of the aero ones I tried seemed to work. I have used some themes, but others don't seem to want to cooperate. Is there something I need to install first? What are those GTK 1 and GTK 2 things?

Also, is there a dock for ubuntu? I am used to using docks (I used objectdock on XP), si it'd be nice to have one for Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Working Aero theme for ubuntu (Hardy Heron)

There's plenty on gnome-look (I see you've already looked). Though I know a lot of users here aren't Aero's biggest fan's

And you may want to look for Avant Window Navigator (AWN). It's a quite well featured dock that many people use (I've used it in the past )

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Joeb454 View Post
    There's plenty on gnome-look (I see you've already looked). Though I know a lot of users here aren't Aero's biggest fan's

And you may want to look for Avant Window Navigator (AWN). It's a quite well featured dock that many people use (I've used it in the past )
    Well like I said...I've seen the aero themes on gnome look....i'm just asking about like the different typed of themes (GTK 1, GTK 2, etc) and if I need to do or install something extra for theme to work. And why do a lot of people here not like the aero interface? it's just graphics...it's not like it turns ubuntu into vista. I don't really need aero...it's just that I've tried other high rated themes and they haven't worked.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

the gtk 2 ones all u hav to do is drag and drop them into the appearance program
    then jus click it and click customize to change the other stuff

sometimes u hav to extract the files u download but most of the time u dont

have u seen linsta?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Rukaru View Post
    Also, is there a dock for ubuntu? I am used to using docks (I used objectdock on XP), si it'd be nice to have one for Ubuntu.
    If you have compositing support, AWN is a nice dock.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Well like I said...I've seen the aero themes on gnome look....i'm just asking about like the different typed of themes (GTK 1, GTK 2, etc) and if I need to do or install something extra for theme to work. And why do a lot of people here not like the aero interface? it's just graphics...it's not like it turns ubuntu into vista. I don't really need aero...it's just that I've tried other high rated themes and they haven't worked.
    I didn't intend to make it sound like I thought Aero themes turned Ubuntu into Vista.

I just meant that some don't like it because of some of these reasons:
    1) It reminds them of Vista
    2) They just plain don't like it
    3) They may want a more lightweight theme, etc.

Sorry, should've been a little clearer

Beans

I need a good theme....like an aero theme or something. I've seen a few (all from gnome-look), but none of the aero ones I tried seemed to work. I have used some themes, but others don't seem to want to cooperate. Is there something I need to install first? What are those GTK 1 and GTK 2 things?

you might want to use emerald theme manager. it works pretty good if you have compiz enabled. you can get it by running
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install emerald
    from a terminal. then you can go to gnome-look and on the left pane select compiz and then you can browse the compatible themes. to get the theme to load, you need to open emerald, system/preferences/emerald theme manager, and then you need to import the theme you downloaded. you can do that by selecting import, and then navigating to where you saved the theme from gnome-look. select the theme file and it should show up in emerald. click on the theme and if it doesnt use change your theme automatically, hit alt-f2 and type in
    Code:
    emerald --replace

Beans

To put it simply, a GTK theme will change almost everything that a windows decorator (Metacity, Emerald, Kwin, etc.) wouldn't change. A windows decorator will change the status bar at the top of your windows and the close, maximize and minimize buttons and this is probably what you're looking for in a Vista theme. If you are using Compiz, you might want to look into getting Emerald installed as that will give you lots of Vista-ish themes. There are a few for Metacity as well.

GTK will change the color of your toolbars, scrollbars, status bars, drop down menus, etc. GTK 2 themes are what you want. Play around with different combinations. Download GTK 2, Metacity and Emerald themes and mix and match until you're happy. You've got nothing to lose but time and hard drive space!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by inportb View Post
    If you have compositing support, AWN is a nice dock.
    I read about the compositing support stuff...but I'm still a little confused. Do most mid-range 2006 desktops come with it?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Joeb454 View Post
    I didn't intend to make it sound like I thought Aero themes turned Ubuntu into Vista.

I just meant that some don't like it because of some of these reasons:
    1) It reminds them of Vista
    2) They just plain don't like it
    3) They may want a more lightweight theme, etc.

Sorry, should've been a little clearer
    For me, I hate where Vista has the close and max/min buttons. There's a large gap on their sides and it weirds me out. It's odd, but that's the main reason I have to change to the classic windows style anytime I use a Vista machine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast