Thread: Disable startup sound

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Disable startup sound

Typically, I see threads in here on trying to get sound working, however mine appears to work perfect, to a flaw...

I've disabled the "Login Successful" sound in System -> Administration -> Login Window -> Accessibility, however, it still makes the login.wav sound when logging in. Other settings in the Login Window settings work (changing the login screen, for example).

Is there something I'm missing? Or is there an alternative way to disable it? (Other than deleting the offending wav file)

Thanks,

Ryandor

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Disable startup sound

I'm not sure,but maybe you sould try to check if it possible to do through "set-up manager"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

System -> Preferences -> Sound -> Sounds tab

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

No joy..
    I'm not sure how to get to set-up manager (missing the obvious?)
    System -> Preferences -> Sound -> Sounds tab: Changed the setting, but no change.

This is really getting annoying

FYI: Running Ubuntu Hardy 8.04. If memory serves, I don't think I've ever been able to disable the login sound on any ubuntu install.

-Ryandor
    Last edited by Ryandor; May 11th, 2008 at 02:34 AM. Reason: Clarification

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

So in System, Preferences, Sound, Sounds - for Log in you have "No sound" ?
    You can also uncheck the Play System Sounds at the top of the same screen. I have never used system sounds and don't miss them. If it annoys you, you could probably do without them all

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

The weird thing is, I've not heard any system sounds at all anyway. Other than the login sound, the only sound I've heard is a system (motherboard) beep on the "ready to login" screen.
    I've tested sound, and regular mp3's and movies work just fine.

All things considered it's not that important. I'm too busy moving files around at this point. Converting my old Windows ntfs drives to ext3. It takes forever to move ntfs files...

-Ryandor

Beans

lol that startup sound makes me jump everytime just disabled all system sounds thanks!

EDIT must also go system/admin/login window/accessibility tab & under "sounds" uncheck "login screen ready"
    Last edited by vikramaditya; May 16th, 2008 at 06:18 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by vikramaditya View Post
    EDIT must also go system/admin/login window/accessibility tab & under "sounds" uncheck "login screen ready"
    Hi there,

many thanks - that's what I was searching for like crazy! But it's not always easy when the setup is German, so searching for "Anmeldefenster" wouldn't exactly find the correct posts.

Finally I can disable this annoying drumroll at the login screen during startup.

This was especially annoying, as the volume settings won't stick anymore since I'm using Hardy 8.04, maybe thanks to Pulse audio - didn't find a solution in a whole evening of forum search. So I always had a drumroll at maximum volume at startup. Wouldn't dare to startup my laptop on a train anymore...

Thanks again

Franko30

Beans

I can't get that System>Preferences>Sound way to get anything other than the Ubuntu login and logout wavs to play, but it does turn them off for me. I think you can uninstall the ubuntu-sounds in Synaptic Package Manger and get rid of it. You can then reinstall the package later if you'd like it back. You could make backup copies of the wav files in /usr/share/sounds and then delete them.

Beans

The startup sound after I login still plays for me, even though I disabled both the login drum and the startup sound after logging in.

I think this is probably a bug.